fa jin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

fa jin

Postby somatai on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 am

....to me fa jin is a means to train and express power as well as a way of demonstrating ones ability to go from empty to full.....in xylhq every thing we train is to train it, to build something, usage is free and non dogmatic, but entirely dependant upon the quality of body you have built from the practice.

would love to see other expressions from rsf folks

Last edited by somatai on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
somatai

Re: fa jin

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 am

You're going up in height, right? It's interesting as in XYQ, we usually (though not always) drop in height somehow with Fa Jin movements...
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby somatai on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:35 am

correct, we drive from the foot through the legs, compress down, release up
somatai

Postby scottneather on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

I am not at all familiar with this method so please forgive my ignorance, but is this means of generating power used in combat? you have a considerable "wind up" period before you let go, is the idea to reduce that over time until you can just let go instantly?

I ask because I am currently stuck in oscillation between "no oomph" and "telegraphing power".
Last edited by scottneather on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day a new discovery! This must be what babies feel like.
scottneather
Santi

Postby somatai on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

the wind up and the practice is the means of building the power and connection, in usage it is free, no wind up, power is in the hands at any point......but the wind up itself is training in that there is power going back which is what is released, the wind up is the way you strengthen and develop it is the yang part of the exercise, the release is empty and effortless
somatai

Postby scottneather on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:34 am

thanks you replied before I finished editing my post. I think I should be looking into this method more. is xylhq spelled out as "xing yi liu he quan"?
Last edited by scottneather on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day a new discovery! This must be what babies feel like.
scottneather
Santi

Postby Josealb on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:47 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:You're going up in height, right? It's interesting as in XYQ, we usually (though not always) drop in height somehow with Fa Jin movements...

In the XYQ ive seen, its possible to either go up or go down. I find that going up works best in close distance and when the back leg doesnt move (both legs draw from the ground up), while going down is when the body drops forward, and a back follow step is needed. The spine can coil and uncoil both ways, you know. ;)

Scott,

It may look ilke a wind up in practice, but in application, there is also fa jin when his hands come close to the body in contraction, so the "wind up" can basically be applied as well. Its spelled "Xin Yi Liu He Quan"..emphasis on the Xin.

If i get some time this week, ill film a little something along this lines. Ill keep it in Hu Xing also.
Last edited by Josealb on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby brendo on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 pm

the last position you demonstrated kinda reminded me of a more direct version of "linking canons" from the xinyi hunyuan chen style taiji, might be fun to play with the more extreme wind-up (in linking canons, stepping up and closing the hip with the fa), the more direct way you demonstrate, and then an even more direct fa from static posture, transitioning from "long energy" to short.
筋长力大
brendo
Mingjing

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Josealb wrote: its possible to either go up or go down.

If you put the two together, can you not turn it into an eliptical rolling ball of death? ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:53 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:You're going up in height, right? It's interesting as in XYQ, we usually (though not always) drop in height somehow with Fa Jin movements...

Hi Jonathan,

There are two types of fajing in Xinyi, as Li Xinming 李新民 explained in his book《心意六合拳》Xinyi LIuhe Quan:

One is upward Zuan. The other one is downward Pi.

And there is combination of both with horizontal jing. (This is my understanding).

Over
Overlord

Postby charles on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 am

brendo wrote:the last position you demonstrated kinda reminded me of a more direct version of "linking canons" from the xinyi hunyuan chen style taiji...

I see next to zero resemblance. Maybe it's just me.
charles
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Here's a clip I had sitting on my computer. It's old though, filmed it around 2006.

This is the Basic Direction Changing Method (換式法 huan shi fa) for the Crab System (蟹形 Xiè Xing). A Baguazhang Animal System that was created by Dong Haichuan specifically for 马贵 Ma Gui because he was so short (about 4'10" tall).

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby brendo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 pm

@ Charles: You're right, and of course its same side in the chen whereas here he is crossing /springing up from the left, but the thing that made me think of it was how in the video, the focus went laterally, giving the appearance of being generated at the shoulder. Linking Cannons feels like slamming a door to me, the arms come from behind and to the side, then as weight comes forward, the right hip closes - but of course the weight settles into position as the fa happens in the chen, rather than bouncing upwards here.
筋长力大
brendo
Mingjing

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 am

Overlord wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

There are two types of fajing in Xinyi...

These 2 types are also called 'bolang jin' (breaking wave) and 'fanlang jin' (returning wave).

Several years ago forum member Dai_Boxer described how in Xinyi they first learn 'fanlang jin'.

In other CMAs, including Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan, they seek to first learn 'bolang jin' and then years later learn how to 'fanlang jin'.

In my clip above I'm only using 'bolang jin'.

FWIW

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

brendo wrote: the arms come from behind and to the side, then as weight comes forward, the right hip closes ...

Not as I learned it. The hips don't close.

In non-Hunyuan versions, the arms don't come from behind, they stay in front. But, we're straying from the topic.
Last edited by charles on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links