Trump Will be President

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Trump Will be President

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Why should someone invest all that money in a career that is going over sea's? AS I HAD SAID!!!
Wouldn't it be smarter for Americans just to become a doctor?

Your first sentence is a joke. I have a PhD, and it would have been "smarter" for me to stay in construction or bus-driving if I'd wanted to make money. We need nurses and doctors. What's your point? They'll have to take chemistry, biology and maybe physics. All of them are stem disciplines.

Afa your skill, it may be impressive, but someone taught you. I teach future engineers and mathematicians every day. Afa, "AS I HAD SAID!!!", I also teach them to write about their technical fields. All of which is irrelevant to the point I made about the success of US students in math. And nothing close to a false flag message.

I would say arguing that Americans give up on studying something because there are fewer opportunities sounds like one can expect a job. Damn, I wish I could feel that way. I've tended to look at it as a competition where I actually had to do better than my competitors.

Besides, I was raised to believe that if I could work with my hands I would never starve. So, I don't tend to whine about someone else getting "my" job and then get angry. Shucks, I've had at least 4 different careers. I left construction because it dried up in NY, and then I became a driver. I didn't blame Reagan.

But, to your point about why an American would study engineering here. Think about it. People from China are coming here to study. Why don't Americans go to China to study? Yeah, why not be a doctor, or lawyer, or an auto-mechanic, or any skilled trade that builds things here?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm

BTW, here's a false flag that can be checked if not believed. Yeah, I heard about this from the commie union to which I belong. But, whaddaya think? Is it good to Buy American, or is removing such a provision a smart business move?

Donald Trump may have positioned himself as the champion of American workers but Republicans on the Hill are already embracing his “do as I say, not as I do” modus operandi. Under the backing of Paul Ryan, the GOP leadership stripped a provision from a water bill Monday that would have required American-made iron and steel products to be used in infrastructure projects in Flint and elsewhere funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown blasted Republicans, who removed the “Buy America” provision (which passed the Senate with strong bipartisan support) while the House and Senate were reconciling the bills. In other words, GOP leadership scrapped it behind closed doors.

“By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin,” said Brown. “This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump’s promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price.”
Now, Brown is teaming up with Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania to insert the provision back in the bill.

They want to reattach the provision to a nearly $12 billion Water Resource Development Act (WRDA), which authorizes dozens of infrastructure projects around the country and is on track to pass the House this week.

“I’m not giving up on this fight,” Baldwin said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “Why would we pass a bill that only benefits Russian and Chinese steel corporations when we could be providing certainty to American manufacturers of steel and iron?”

That sentiment was shared by some steel worker groups earlier this week:

“From our end it’s a little baffling,” said Roy Houseman, a legislative representative for the United Steelworkers. “It’s been a program that’s been really successful, and it has bipartisan support. We’re just very confused by the Speaker, who’s not listening to the rest of his caucus.”

In essence, “Buy America” sounds as nice to Republicans as it did to Trump, but in practice they would rather preserve the "Buy Chinese" option that Trump uses to build his skyscrapers.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 pm

If we export more money then we receive, Then eventually we will go broke. "without printing more" , which causes inflation.
The less money that is in circulation the tighter it is for the public. The harder it is for American family's and the higher the crime rate.

So if we don't have a balanced dollar figure between import/export then hardships will be the result.
If all that money is leaving and then only coming back in the form of loans, then the interest, Which is payed for by American tax dollars,
will reflect the true cost of buying non American made.
Last edited by willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:16 am

Steve James wrote:
Your second link talks about shortages of pre-higher ed teachers in STEM fields, and how universities are responding. So, none of that seems to back up the idea that Chinese or other foreign nationals are taking over the teaching fields in higher ed.

I didn't say that anyone is taking over. I said that there is a shortage of US citizens studying stem disciplines. I'm not questioning or denying your experience. I'm telling you what mine is in this field and why we are actively encouraging US students to study these disciplines. The shortage of students automatically equates to a shortage of teachers. And, you said that the teachers you mentioned were white, were they all native-born US citizens. I don't know about your uni, but at ours there are also a bunch of teachers from Europe.

At any rate, my economic point is simply that we need more. I couldn't care less about the ethnic aspect. In fact, I'm happy that individuals come here to study. They often stay, which as Mike points out is a win for us and a brain drain on their countries of origin. At any rate, even if you think the situation is fine, I would warn against complacency. That's the main reason this discussion is on a Trump thread.

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply.

"Taking over" was poorly chosen wording on my part. Anyway, I'm glad I brought this up, as you have clarified your statement and I think I agree with everything you are saying and certainly with your sentiments.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

No problem at all Ian. I took it as an honest criticism and answered. It's a great topic for discussion, for sure.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Steve James wrote:I'm not into people vomiting their hate all over people who might not share the same beliefs or be the same.

As you can see the hate is coming from the teachers and that is why the nation is divided, at least in part.
You disagreed with me, but here is proof.
In should be totally illegal to teach hatred of any president in any schools. It should be treated as treason and the people teaching this
hate trip, arrested and charged with inciting as the bare minimum.

willie

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:55 pm

As you can see the hate is coming from the teachers and that is why the nation is divided, at least in part.

Now, you just said "disagreed." But, what was it you quoted. Oh yeah,

Steve James wrote:
I'm not into people vomiting their hate all over people who might not share the same beliefs or be the same.

And, instead of agreeing with what I said above, you use it to justify some point you made. Ya see, if you were sincere, you would have simply asked what I felt about people vomiting their hate against others. I'd say that I'd feel obligated to stand up against it, and at least speak out against it.

What I'm not going to do is show videos of guys pushing Muslim women down stairs or tearing off their hijabs while yelling "Trump, Trump, Trump." That just falls into the propaganda plan that turns the aggressors into the victims and justifies their aggression. I.e., there could be a hundred examples of people saying "I hate Trump," and it wouldn't change how I think they would be treated. I'd hope to be the one to step in if a group of guys were trying to beat up anyone, even a lone Trump supporter.

Afa what people say about him, I say "It's a free country." If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I mean, I do remember what's been said about Obama, even by Donald. I guess one could find videos of Obama supporters going around beating people up; but, that wouldn't change anything.

More interesting is Trump's cabinet pick for labor, who does not favor increasing the minimum wage but also favors increasing production through mechanization. He's the guy who suggested that fast food workers should be replaced by robots.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Steve James wrote:

Now, you just said "disagreed." But, what was it you quoted. Oh yeah,

Steve James wrote:
I'm not into people vomiting their hate all over people who might not share the same beliefs or be the same.

And, instead of agreeing with what I said above, you use it to justify some point you made. Ya see, if you were sincere, you would have simply asked what I felt about people vomiting their hate against others. I'd say that I'd feel obligated to stand up against it, and at least speak out against it.

What I'm not going to do is show videos of guys pushing Muslim women down stairs or tearing off their hijabs while yelling "Trump, Trump, Trump." That just falls into the propaganda plan that turns the aggressors into the victims and justifies their aggression. I.e., there could be a hundred examples of people saying "I hate Trump," and it wouldn't change how I think they would be treated. I'd hope to be the one to step in if a group of guys were trying to beat up anyone, even a lone Trump supporter.

Afa what people say about him, I say "It's a free country." If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I mean, I do remember what's been said about Obama, even by Donald. I guess one could find videos of Obama supporters going around beating people up; but, that wouldn't change anything.

More interesting is Trump's cabinet pick for labor, who does not favor increasing the minimum wage but also favors increasing production through mechanization. He's the guy who suggested that fast food workers should be replaced by robots.

You shouldn't have placed yourself in such a tight corner
Because now i am going to ask you what you think of teachers who teach their biased opinions to kids with otherwise neutral positions.

So here it is, your chance to answer the hard question.

"do you agree with the teacher, teaching the material she is teaching to our nations kids?"
Last edited by willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:43 pm

You shouldn't have placed yourself in such a tight corner
Because now i am going to ask you what you think of teachers who teach their biased opinions to kids with otherwise neutral positions.

Hmm, do I believe that a teacher should tell students that she believes in God? I know. You're about to say "You know what I'm talking about." That really would avoid the issue. But, by "biased," I think you want me to address teachers saying bad things about the future president. Yah see I was thinking more in terms of violence and taunts. Should I ask you whether you agree with guys beating up women?

When it comes to what a teacher says in a classroom, the first thing I think of is academic freedom. Teachers don't have the right to incite violence. But, I can't say that there's any form of criticism that they shouldn't be able to make. Hey, I feel the same way about preachers or CEOs.

Since I teach students of various faiths and religious beliefs, I always emphasize the need to respect those beliefs in the classroom --and criticize them in terms of human issues that apply to all of them. Some would call that perspective biased, and that I should be teaching how bad one religion is and good another is. The same for political beliefs. Interestingly enough though, many students who are against "political correctness" hate being labeled. The upshot is that the object is to train the student to think for him or herself, not to "teach" them anything. Ok, here's from another classroom. :) Not that I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H3pCtdZpbY
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Well, one thing Steve, you are definitely able to keep your cool.

In the video above, I have no idea what is an appropriate coarse of action for that teacher.

It is quite obvious that the girl presenting her side of the argument has very strong feeling of her position and So does the teacher.

For the other video. The teacher is presenting the material and not the student.
willie

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:37 pm

It is quite obvious that the girl presenting her side of the argument has very strong feeling of her position and So does the teacher.

No matter how strongly she felt, she was addressing points. The room rightly erupted when the teacher said "we have a Black President" to her assertions about "White people having all the power." Then she pointed to the institutions of political and economic power. Well, if I were the teacher, I would have argued that the issue was economic, not racial, even if the result was a disparity that could be examined by race. The teacher seemed like he had been arguing that White people (such as himself) were not powerful and weren't all doing well because of their "race." He'd be 100% right. But, if he then argued that the situation was caused by Latino immigration, that's where the girl seems to have started in the vid. Oh yeah, she did say --like an adult-- that having a different opinion doesn't matter if the other person actually listens.

Afa the first video, I don't see anything wrong with her presentation. She has an opinion. The second video shows that a student can also have an opinion. Well, it was interesting that the teacher asked why he should "believe" what the student said. That's not exactly the Platonic method. It's the "this is my story and I'm sticking with it no matter what." I guess that's okay for social media; but, imo, teachers shouldn't have that attitude. Makes me think of my undergrad days; so, I can safe that no teacher is unbiased. Some are more reasonable about it than others.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm

O.K. i see your points and this isn't going to be so clear cut as i first thought either.
It actually is impossible to point the finger at who is right and who is wrong.
Both subjects are equal in their perceptions of reality because of the imprints of prior experiences that either has endured.

In my opinion the power balance isn't race, It's economics. Although sometimes the power of authority granted could be the same thing and abused.

The first video is wrong in my view. What if the parents noticed the child "suddenly" came home with a completely different view?
Also, What if that view wasn't supported by the parents? What if that view was harmful or hateful and changed their child's view
of the entire world in a negative way?
Children are very impressionable.
Last edited by willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby grzegorz on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:39 pm

I love hearing Trump supporters whine that China is ripping us off while they are holding their made in China iphone in their hands.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Steve James wrote:
Why should someone invest all that money in a career that is going over sea's? AS I HAD SAID!!!
Wouldn't it be smarter for Americans just to become a doctor?

Your first sentence is a joke. I have a PhD, and it would have been "smarter" for me to stay in construction or bus-driving if I'd wanted to make money. We need nurses and doctors. What's your point? They'll have to take chemistry, biology and maybe physics. All of them are stem disciplines.

Afa your skill, it may be impressive, but someone taught you. I teach future engineers and mathematicians every day. Afa, "AS I HAD SAID!!!", I also teach them to write about their technical fields. All of which is irrelevant to the point I made about the success of US students in math. And nothing close to a false flag message.

I would say arguing that Americans give up on studying something because there are fewer opportunities sounds like one can expect a job. Damn, I wish I could feel that way. I've tended to look at it as a competition where I actually had to do better than my competitors.

Besides, I was raised to believe that if I could work with my hands I would never starve. So, I don't tend to whine about someone else getting "my" job and then get angry. Shucks, I've had at least 4 different careers. I left construction because it dried up in NY, and then I became a driver. I didn't blame Reagan.

But, to your point about why an American would study engineering here. Think about it. People from China are coming here to study. Why don't Americans go to China to study? Yeah, why not be a doctor, or lawyer, or an auto-mechanic, or any skilled trade that builds things here?

QFT.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm

O.K. then why don't we send all the teaching jobs over to China as well. We could just do video chat at the colleges.
No more huge, huge expensive payroll means more affordability to the public. The Chinese will teach via video chat
just as effectively and will do it for 60.00 a month.

Oh and your i phone you say...Below...
Last edited by willie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That