test no topic

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: test no topic

Postby Michael on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Dajenarit wrote:Why are they setting everything on fire first?

Holy crap. An entire video of future Darwin Award nominees? I love it.

The only thing I can thing is how they could of possibly thought half of those ideas would of ended well.

Dropping things on your head while on fire from high places, setting yourself on fire, blackflipping on top of steel fences, and most anything involving bored teenagers, freetime and vehicles are some examples of things that will never go well. I Love watching other people attempt it tho. Plus they all really seem to have an extreme dislike for their nuts.

Yup, that's the vid. I've been showing it to my Chinese students who want to study in the USA in order to give them a look at where they're going. Their minds are totally blown and they insist it has to be some kind of joke or fake. Nope

My favorite line from that video is, "Put your head in the snow."
Michael

Postby Teazer on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:05 am

Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Dabbler on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Dabbler
Anjing

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Teazer wrote:

More American culture at its finest?
Michael

Postby Alexatron on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Michael wrote:
Dajenarit wrote:Why are they setting everything on fire first?

Holy crap. An entire video of future Darwin Award nominees? I love it.

The only thing I can thing is how they could of possibly thought half of those ideas would of ended well.

Dropping things on your head while on fire from high places, setting yourself on fire, blackflipping on top of steel fences, and most anything involving bored teenagers, freetime and vehicles are some examples of things that will never go well. I Love watching other people attempt it tho. Plus they all really seem to have an extreme dislike for their nuts.

Yup, that's the vid. I've been showing it to my Chinese students who want to study in the USA in order to give them a look at where they're going. Their minds are totally blown and they insist it has to be some kind of joke or fake. Nope

My favorite line from that video is, "Put your head in the snow."

Of course nothing stupid comes out of China . . .

Perhaps show your students some of the above to give them a more balanced view. No country, race, ethnic group or religion has a monopoly on stupid behaviour. And of course this is most likely the tip of the iceberg poking through the great censorship wall of China.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Alexa, the reason I show some American videos to my Chinese students is to give another viewpoint on the propaganda they receive that the USA is 101% superior to China in every way, which they don't completely swallow. Please don't infer that the previous sentence indicates how I see either country. There are certain negative things in US culture, even dangerous things, such as the processed food (that I think is contributing to the accelerating diabetes epidemic in China), that my students have never heard of.

They're already pretty familiar with many things in their own country, but I do show them videos from inside China that most of them don't know, usually to spark discussion, which universally fails either with Chinese or US vids of my choosing, but that's another topic.

Here's a vid from the airport in Guangzhou and I recently met a US representative of the airline, China Southern, and he explained to me how his company went to great efforts to erase this from the internet, the only saving grace for them being that their airline was not actually mentioned, nor its name shown in the video.

http://www.thenanfang.com/blog/watch-co ... passenger/

http://www.56.com/u42/v_OTI4MDExMzU.html
Michael

Postby Alexatron on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Michael wrote:Alexa, the reason I show some American videos to my Chinese students is to give another viewpoint on the propaganda they receive that the USA is 101% superior to China in every way, which they don't completely swallow. Please don't infer that the previous sentence indicates how I see either country. There are certain negative things in US culture, even dangerous things, such as the processed food (that I think is contributing to the accelerating diabetes epidemic in China), that my students have never heard of.

They're already pretty familiar with many things in their own country, but I do show them videos from inside China that most of them don't know, usually to spark discussion, which universally fails either with Chinese or US vids of my choosing, but that's another topic.

Here's a vid from the airport in Guangzhou and I recently met a US representative of the airline, China Southern, and he explained to me how his company went to great efforts to erase this from the internet, the only saving grace for them being that their airline was not actually mentioned, nor its name shown in the video.

http://www.thenanfang.com/blog/watch-co ... passenger/

http://www.56.com/u42/v_OTI4MDExMzU.html

I remember that video doing the rounds some time ago. It sounds like you're keeping it real. Some people don't and have the illusion that somehow China and all it's citizens are free from the ills of the rest of the human species which obviously is not the case.
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:11 am

A lot of the Chinese I meet have extremely romantic ideas about the USA and seem to consider it like a heavenly option where things will be almost perfect compared to their home country. The ones with better wiring can see that EU (not UK) would be better and dream of France, Germany, or areas north of that. These types also consider Canada if they don't have a second cousin somewhere in Los Angeles telling them to come to the promise land and be their dishwasher.
Michael

Postby Kettlebells4U on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 am

Freaked me out... :o :o :o

Kettlebells4U
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

(click to enlarge)

Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:03 pm

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Alexatron on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Michael wrote:A lot of the Chinese I meet have extremely romantic ideas about the USA and seem to consider it like a heavenly option where things will be almost perfect compared to their home country. The ones with better wiring can see that EU (not UK) would be better and dream of France, Germany, or areas north of that. These types also consider Canada if they don't have a second cousin somewhere in Los Angeles telling them to come to the promise land and be their dishwasher.

I find it amusing that many American's like to highlight the problems with the USA while about a third of the worlds population want to go live there :-)
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Michael on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

It's a kind of paradox, but the USA is damn lucky for still having the good will of so many people. It's deserved, IMO, and also there is a workable system in place, but things seem to be in decline economically and culturally. Not a lot of construction happening compared to deconstruction, if that makes sense.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 am

God Pledges $5,000 For Cancer Research

THE HEAVENS—Expressing His hope that the contribution would assist efforts to find a cure for the devastating disease, the Lord Our God, Creator and Supreme Ruler of the Universe, confirmed Thursday that He had pledged $5,000 to the American Cancer Society to help fund ongoing research. “I have the means, so I can afford to give a little bit of money to support such an important cause,” said He Who Commanded Light to Shine Out of the Darkness, describing the contribution as “the very least [He] could do” in the fight against the disease that causes more than 8 million deaths annually. “Now, obviously a $5,000 donation isn’t going to just make the cure appear by itself. Clearly, there’s no magic bullet for this thing. But every little bit helps. And knowing I might be making a small difference in the life of some kid with leukemia or mom with breast cancer just makes me feel like I did my part.” The Divine Creator of Life, Heaven, and Earth told reporters that if the timing works out, He also plans to participate in a 10K benefit run for Hodgkin lymphoma this fall.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god-pl ... rch,36486/
Dmitri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That