"one bag" travel

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

"one bag" travel

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:59 pm

this is something people have done since neanderthal days, i guess, but the internet has made it a "thing". more or less to avoid check-in and even overhead bins, and the xingyiquan piquan you have to restrain yourself from using when morons want to fight for space, you stuff your minimal stuff (maybe a week's worth of clothes at most and do laundry wherever you go) into your backpack that can fit under the airplane seat or is otherwise small enough to carry w/o making you look like a "hiker", and there you go. happy traveler.

whether you've heard of it or not, is that how you tend to travel? i used to use a backpack and a rollerboard, but more and more with various types of karens and their male counterparts flying, i'm like fuck it, you win with your 900L duffel. my bag fits all my not-over-packed shit and fits under the seat. good to go.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: "one bag" travel

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:14 am

Not traveling much with you wife, right ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:18 am

Yep. I fly a lot, often with small children. We have one bag each that we carry on. If we need more than that at the destination we mail it, it's cheaper.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:53 am

Trick wrote:Not traveling much with you wife, right ?

hahahaha, I convinced her to "two bag" it. If I have to get in the "street fight" with the karens or chads over overhead bin space, it's just for her tiny roller. j/k. we are actually super polite and help others lift their stupid over-stuffed bags up, but it's super annoying.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:55 am

origami_itto wrote:Yep. I fly a lot, often with small children. We have one bag each that we carry on. If we need more than that at the destination we mail it, it's cheaper.

have you gotten into the niche stuff this community likes, like merino wool shirts (carry less and wash less frequently since they don't smell)
everything
Wuji

Postby Reggie on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:47 pm

Me and my wife -
We carry freight - it is ridiculous to ship to Brasil so we carry anything of value.

minimum 3 full size bags - 2 carryon bags - 2 personal bags ( that is all my electronic gear in a backpack and
ex large beach bag style purse for the wife ) - 2 doc holders ( these
get stuffed in personal bags during boarding )
Optional - 1 more large bag or big Eagle creek duffel with only clothing mostly to give away.
1 cardboard carton from duty free full of wine and liquor.

Extra bags are for household items - anything else.
I used to carry my Mtn bike but they changed measurements on bikes and started charging $200
Carts are free in South America and plentiful
Last edited by Reggie on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reggie
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:37 am

everything wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Yep. I fly a lot, often with small children. We have one bag each that we carry on. If we need more than that at the destination we mail it, it's cheaper.

have you gotten into the niche stuff this community likes, like merino wool shirts (carry less and wash less frequently since they don't smell)

No I had no idea such a "community" exists. I live in the south so we don't get a lot of call for wool shirts. I just wear stuff like this mainly, plus my sandals: https://amzn.to/3U3r83p

They fold up nice.

I do carry a purse with my wallet, phone, glasses, other sundries. I usually wear my cervical collar (makes a great travel pillow) and knee brace on the outside.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:14 am

everything wrote:

The wool thing is a good idea from among things as not getting smelly, little more expensive but the garment beats most of what today’s clothes are made of.
Was in a Muji shop in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago - plastic, some clothes they sell say they are made from recycled pet-bottles ?? Almost all clothes today has synthetics in them, pants/jeans are all stretch nowadays, all sport shoes are fully plastic.
Cant take many minutes before one goes sweating and bacteria goes hooray in such garment….Hold your noses !

What’s this plastic craze even the “good” clothes brands also has jumped on, is it in a twist supposed to be environmentally/climate change friendly ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:44 am

not sure. I have some nylon (petroleum product) "travel" pants that are admittedly nice for travel (stretchy, wrinkle resistant, water resistant). hope nobody claimed they are "green".

I tried a cheap wool t-shirt from amazon, and sure enough, it didn't smell at all after a few days, but it was a little bit itchy, so it's not gonna work for me. maybe one of the expensive "low micron" ones would work well (what this "one bag community" seems to swear by), but damn, they are expensive.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:44 am

Reggie wrote:Me and my wife -
We carry freight - it is ridiculous to ship to Brasil so we carry anything of value.

oh wow, this is the opposite use case, I think
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:02 am

everything wrote:not sure. I have some nylon (petroleum product) "travel" pants that are admittedly nice for travel (stretchy, wrinkle resistant, water resistant). hope nobody claimed they are "green".

I tried a cheap wool t-shirt from amazon, and sure enough, it didn't smell at all after a few days, but it was a little bit itchy, so it's not gonna work for me. maybe one of the expensive "low micron" ones would work well (what this "one bag community" seems to swear by), but damn, they are expensive.

I prefer the linen and 100% natural fibers whenever possible. Shirts start to bother me after a while, particularly when I'm tired and cranky from traveling. A nice linen or silk undershirt is perfect for a long trip.

However... I do like the "wicking" microfiber shirts like I use for workouts underneath sometimes. they tend not to rub as much and keep you dry and cool so less irritation for sensitive skin.

Pants, those linen slacks or harem pants or thai fisher pants, or even sweats. Unless I'm getting paid or laid I am always 100% about maximum comfort.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:05 am

yeah got a couple of linen shirts recently and they feel nice and cool for warm weather. they're supposed to look wrinkled, so look good with no worry about wrinkles from travels. not that anyone cares much in the age of wearing PJs and crocs everywhere. the "one bag" idea kind of extends over (or vice versa) into a minimalist "capsule wardrobe" idea to have/need very few clothing items overall. i like this idea, but i don't see any reason to get rid of my seemingly 500 t-shirts in perfectly good condition. pants that probably don't fit? probably time to marie-kondo some stuff.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic