Taijiquan as Profession

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Taijiquan as Profession

Postby greytowhite on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 am

Hey guys so I've finally entered the realm of Taiji instructor to senior citizens. As an elder Millennial I have a lot of experience with Silent Generation and Boomers as classmates but not so much as students. I plan to keep it to short forms as much as possible. I'm aware I can keep the class mostly to Qigong and then a little form at the end, to keep the feet flat instead of toe or heel up stances, and to make for higher, smaller stances when possible. A friend mentioned that a lot of his senior students have a very difficult time with 1 legged balance so it can take 3-6 months of them doing basic PT type exercises before they can attempt the form. Do you guys have any further advice for teaching people who are less able due to age?
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Taijiquan as Profession

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:45 am

Of course, these seniors should have gotten some form of ok from their doctors. Besides that, find out why they are taking the class. Are they interested in tcc or just doing something to help their achy knees.

Imo, here's where standing should be worked on first. That's assuming it's easy for them to stand. If not, start with some seated exercises, eventually working on standing up. I've seen classes where seated and standing students are mixed. Having them see someone doing a section of the form can be inspiring --as long as it doesn't look impossible.

Sounds like a good idea to avoid one-legged positions until they're stronger. Ime, their biggest problems will be a loss of leg (quad) strength and balance.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 am

Testing can often be a lot more interesting and physically beneficial than just doing sections of form, or even a single form sequence. It can be done while standing, sitting and/or lying down.

With oldsters, it's best to begin by getting familiar with 'shapes' from the form and let them play at changing the shape. Working closer to the body than further away (forearms, elbows, shoulders, upper arms) is always easier than starting in the hands.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 am

For many of the elderly, which some of them may be wheel chair bound and in their 80s and 90s, this often is more of a social activity and you must keep that in mind as you carve out your plan of teaching - I've taught a class with all wheel chair bound adults and they came to love the soft music (Chinese & Japanese bamboo flute) I played in the background. I bought a huge teapot and we often had a light brew of jasmine tea during a tea break which they also came to love.

Sacrilegious as this may sound you might have to significantly reframe your own mind set and I suggest you get a copy of Al Huang's book to give you some sense of play and lightness (I'm already ducking the objects hurled my way for that suggestion LOL)

BTW you don't have "eat the whole enchilada" - just take what you need to generate insight.

Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain
The Essence of Tai Ji
Foreword by Alan Watts
Photographs by Si Chi Ko

‘To work with Al Huang is to learn to move with wind and water… in the course of everyday life… a truly superior and gifted teacher who works upon others as the sun and rain upon plants.’
– From the foreword by Alan Watts, one of the great writers of Comparative Philosophy and Religion and Taoist and Zen literature.

First published in 1973, this all time classic of Tai Ji literature remains as fresh and illuminating today as when it was first published. Written with true passion and eloquence, the book richly conveys the subtle yet profound principles underlying Tai Ji. Movement, stillness, joyfulness, and the ability to live in the moment are the threads running through the text, as well as the humor and compassion to acknowledge the impossibility of human perfection. Containing the original foreword by Alan Watts, the book is illustrated with beautiful calligraphy by the author, and photographs by Si Chi Ko, one of China’s “National Treasures”.

This timeless masterpiece is essential reading for anybody interested in Taoism, Tai Ji, or the Tao philosophy of “Living Our Own Tao”, and the author is a wonderful, dramatic, and inspiring presence throughout the book.

https://livingtao.org/about/chungliang-al-huang/

PS one of blurps in the book says his mother played bajiquan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuH4niXOyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TSEnoAa39s

Chungliang Al Huang is the founder & President of the Living Tao Foundation and author of numerous best-selling books, including the classic "Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain." Master Huang speaks about using the Tao philosophy of TaiJi and YinYang to embrace opposites and make a whole picture/life, and leads the audience through a number of TaiJi movements that incorporate key concepts and all parts of our lives. Master Huang paints five key Chinese characters and discusses the role of each in the dance of opposites.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalk videos and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Last edited by Bob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am

my mom is in various exercise classes with other seniors (mostly mid 80s to early 90s age) and has given me some comments (not necessarily restricted to tai chi class). her 1-leg balance is quite good, relative to that group. but she said a lot of people do struggle with basics such as a 1 leg balance test. I think her flexibility is not as good as some of her classmates, or so she says. backing up a giant step, I would guess knowledge of/experience with PT (both physical therapy and personal training, but especially the former ... maybe you have both already) for this demographic is probably much more helpful than knowledge of tai chi (which any way we define it on an enthusiast forum, is probably way, way, way too advanced) so you can give them something scaled down appropriately. if you/they want to do tai chi or qigong, maybe "chair tai chi" is a viable option as well.

good luck, and it sounds challenging, fun, and rewarding.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 am

Suicidal on my part but nonetheless in the spirit of sharing and searching for insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqVuDdj3IA

Master Chungliang’s Healing Tai Chi [Follow Along]

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:40 pm

BruceP wrote:Testing can often be a lot more interesting and physically beneficial than just doing sections of form, or even a single form sequence. It can be done while standing, sitting and/or lying down.

With oldsters, it's best to begin by getting familiar with 'shapes' from the form and let them play at changing the shape. Working closer to the body than further away (forearms, elbows, shoulders, upper arms) is always easier than starting in the hands.

Agreed. I have found that the more compact postures and movement patterns of small frame TCC forms like the Sun and Wu Hao style sets are easier for senior age students to learn and practice than the large frame sets of other TCC styles, as they require less leg strength and flexibility for beginner practitioners.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 pm

greytowhite wrote:Hey guys so I've finally entered the realm of Taiji instructor to senior citizens. As an elder Millennial I have a lot of experience with Silent Generation and Boomers as classmates but not so much as students. I plan to keep it to short forms as much as possible. I'm aware I can keep the class mostly to Qigong and then a little form at the end, to keep the feet flat instead of toe or heel up stances, and to make for higher, smaller stances when possible. A friend mentioned that a lot of his senior students have a very difficult time with 1 legged balance so it can take 3-6 months of them doing basic PT type exercises before they can attempt the form. Do you guys have any further advice for teaching people who are less able due to age?

Never thought of myself as a teacher, have worked with many groups in my time...

The "Form" for most is the take away...an expectation if one is "teaching taiji"
if one is teaching Qi gong all depends on the type of Qi gong taught.

Might be better to make a clear distinction between the two...

Most teachers that I know or knew teach small sections....
With those in the group able to pick up where they left off...

Makes it easier for scheduling and for them to understand where they can start again if they feel they need to..

TBT, was never very successful at teaching seniors, or teaching for health wasn't the focus of my practice.

As a result I have very few people that I work with in the US and Taiwan...
Most of those I work with have been practicing TCC for while...kinda makes things a lot different.

Some take aways

1. work with people according to their expectation and level not your own.
2. be flexible ,able to adjust the practice to the person instead of the person to the practice.
3. include ways of testing and demonstrating ...people like to test and interact with others..
4. have fun

a small story that happened to me..

Started working with a group in Oklahoma, a gym around Ft Sill...many yrs back

Started out with 25 older people 1st week
2nd week 15
3rd week 10

By the end of the month the only person I had to work with...
myself... ;D

Best of luck :)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:02 pm

LOL Windwalker - half of mine would fall asleep in the middle of the session but I was aware of the medications they were taking.

Being present for them was my primary mindset and sometimes, in the hallway, they would shoot out a smile and do a parting the wild horses mane - made my day!
Bob
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:06 pm

Might find some good insights here

Martin Inn founded the IRI and has taught T’ai Chi Ch’uan for over 50 years. With Benjamin Lo, he is the co-translator of The Essence of T’ai Chi Ch’uan and Cheng Tze’s Thirteen Treatises on T’ai Chi Ch’uan, two books have become standard texts for students and practitioners of T’ai Chi.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm

Bob wrote:LOL Windwalker - half of mine would fall asleep in the middle of the session but I was aware of the medications they were taking.

Being present for them was my primary mindset and sometimes, in the hallway, they would shoot out a smile and do a parting the wild horses mane - made my day!

;D

Much respect for those that can do it...was never able to. :)
Even for the younger people, most of them finding what looks simple is not really. :P
windwalker
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and information. I'm going back to school to be a PT assistant starting in the summer but I don't have any professional experience with it yet. What I do have is personal experience with rehabbing after a stroke, including recovery from single sided paralysis and many PT sessions under my belt as a patient. I'm more of a peer than they know. I helped Dug Corpolongo with the photography for his upcoming seniors Taiji book and spent about 6 months with one of his students so I have a pretty good idea of how I can approach it for those transitioning from basics. My Taiji uncle here locally has a bit more formal of a class with musical accompaniment and most of his seniors have decades of Taiji training. I think I'm going to start with Xingyi Bagua Neigong for health and the Guang Ping Yang 32 Form from Henry Look.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:56 am

greytowhite wrote:Thank you everyone for the recommendations and information. I'm going back to school to be a PT assistant starting in the summer but I don't have any professional experience with it yet. What I do have is personal experience with rehabbing after a stroke, including recovery from single sided paralysis and many PT sessions under my belt as a patient. I'm more of a peer than they know. I helped Dug Corpolongo with the photography for his upcoming seniors Taiji book and spent about 6 months with one of his students so I have a pretty good idea of how I can approach it for those transitioning from basics. My Taiji uncle here locally has a bit more formal of a class with musical accompaniment and most of his seniors have decades of Taiji training. I think I'm going to start with Xingyi Bagua Neigong for health and the Guang Ping Yang 32 Form from Henry Look.

That is an excellent choice!
In my own experience,Taijiquan as profession, is a personal growth area as opposed to being a Profession in a North American US descriptive.
Using taijiquan as part of an Integrative Schedule, where its principles can be merged into something like PT is great because taiji will never fit
the social milieu of the culture because what is termed impressive, i.e has far more appeal to the masse, like to show itself, etc
and that leaves taiji in the 'Dark'. Taiji is "humble", firm, not impressed by external illusory 'muscles' therefore it cannot be used by the Many.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:02 pm

There are much simpler and more appropriate forms of exercises for seniors
They are generally taught by those who have a better grounding in geriatric rehabilitation
Just because people who practice tai chi their whole life are healthy in old are
That does not mean you can get on the bus at the last stop and get the benefits
Teach the young to gift the old
Last edited by wayne hansen on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby ThomasK on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:29 am

Teach the young to gift the old is a nice saying.

A hour of exercise a week isn't much to ask for re elderly. And if something Asian flavoured grabs their attention and the only alternative is for them to do nothing and get worse, then why not.
ThomasK
Mingjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic