The dark side of meditation and mindfulness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The dark side of meditation and mindfulness

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:37 am

Simon,

Thank you for the kind words.

Absolutely anything that reinforces your ability to focus helps a lot. In practical terms, most of my students who want to learn this kind of thing are already professionals in one field, or another, and tend to have a good ability to focus to begin with.

That said, the current system I teach has five progressive exercises to reinforcing the ability to focus that is based off of active visualizations related to the sense gate exercises (sight, sound, touch, taste and smell). In this system you need to be able to use the exercises associated with the senses for 10 minutes at a time without interruption.

Cheers,

Peacedog
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks again, Peacedog!

Sometimes I wish that there was more of a "collective jargon" for these kinds of things - I am not sure if the stuff I have learned matches up with what you have, of course (you have certainly learned more than I have, and gone much further with it!). For example, I have done visualizations similar to the "light from outside into dantian," but we never called it bone breathing or vital breathing. As for elements, most of what I learned comes from Daoism - the closest thing would be stuff from xingyiquan I suppose. And of course akasha is something I have never really learned about before (but I am an "old beginner," after all).

But I will meditate on what you said, hopefully it will lead to some new epiphanies! :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Edededed,

Strangely enough that is the primary purpose behind the book I am working on. It will fully define the 11, 12 if you use a five element system, most common/primary meditative phenomena/energies in use. These are the only ones needed to experience what most people would refer to enlightenment, or those states of existence that lie beyond the perception of space and time.

It isn't designed as a practice book per se, it is mostly being written to provide a common set of operating terms for native English speakers. This is so people can better see how what they are doing fits in with other phenomena and hopefully make better progress.

For those interested...7, or 8, secondary energies exist and have a tenuous relationship to the classical planets. They come across as much harsher than the primary energies and strength involved with them comes from a process of exposure and clearing. Working with various emotional stabilization techniques and Akasha is mandatory as the initial experiences with these energies can mirror various states of insanity.

Finally, at least 27 tertiary energies, that can be combined almost infinitely, exist and are mostly seen in mantric work of one kind or another. I am just beginning to work with these and cannot provide much guidance in their use or application.

Franz Bardon's third book, Key to the True Kabbalah, deals with this topic. The name is a bit of a misnomer though as it has little to do with Kabbalah and mostly with universally applied sounds to generate specific effects. Keep in mind that each "sound" corresponds to a sound that is tonal, a color and a sensation (heavy, hot/expansive, cold and light/floating being the most common four).

I think he used that name when he wrote the book as it was commonly understood in esoteric circles in Europe at the time. Frankly, anyone can use the system with proper preparation and I've seen no religious conflicts to date.

Cheers,

Peacedog
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Interesting book idea, actually it might be a good one, since:
- I think that a lot of people might be hesitant to practice something learned solely from a book; however, they might be willing to practice aspects if they are similar (or overlap) with methods already learned elsewhere in person

I guess in my experience, I don't know much about dividing the energies, except perhaps in terms of five element qi of xingyiquan (that I cannot do). I've also not had much emotional experience whatsoever in terms of meditation - but I'm not an emotional guy, really (maybe a bit grumpy :D ).

But whatever your writing sounds really interesting! :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:25 pm

wiesiek wrote:-devil- @re.: evil spirit possession
When I was young and trained MA a lot , I wasn`t believer,
Later I realised, that thinkin` >I`m only the one in the cosmos< is stupid...
anyway, as far as I know, when you starting the spiritual training, your "aura" became brighter than most - better visible in the dark. And like light in the night became attractive for the insects, - your mind invites /even not intentionally/ spirits, mostly from lower region of the astral ,
guess what are they..., in the gross : shitty guys of course :D
BUT
if you don`t invite them or open the gate you`re safe.
However, if you are emotionally unstable, your gates are available for them and you`re inn... >:@

Longer, deeper training = brighter light, it may attract really big shit to pay you a visit,
so
have to train - how to wear and use the protective gear.

Yes, very much my understanding. Also for evil spirit, if you know or someone tell you a place have evil spirit, don't be a hero.

On another note, there are also a lot of lost spirit or lost soul. By Divine or karmic connection, one was attached to me about 8 yrs ago and a friend of mine send it back for reincarnation.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby UniTaichi on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Peacedog wrote:Wiesiek,

Yeah, that is pretty much how I've seen it work.

With sufficient effort using the elemental meditations, most people can begin to generate what some refer to as Akasha/ether. The Akashic force manifests as a kind of timeless and spaceless dark purple energy. FYI, working with Akasha is very draining. Most people can only utilize it for short periods of time and then they are tired for a few days. Like most of the subtle energies strength with this can be increased with training, but it always leaves you feeling like needing to take a long nap afterwards. Some of the tantric Buddhist iconography represents this as a thin purple line around the outline of the saint being represented.

The advantage to being able to generate Akashic force is that it forces these spirit figures to leave you alone. It interferes somehow with their ability to manifest and coming into contact with it shreds their spirit form and effectively banishes them. They really don't like this, so once you can pull that off they tend to stay the hell away.

None of this mitigates the sensory gate malfunctions that bring most people into contact with this stuff. However, once you get to the stage of generating Akasha the threatening nature of the experience goes way down.

Chud,

Thanks for the shout out. Gary can always use some good press.

Hi Peacedog,
This is the first time I heard about Akasha energy manifesting as purple light. Very interesting. I have since about 4-5 yrs ago, able to see purple light in my minds' eye. I have learned some basic reading of Akashic record but just for knowledge. Good post.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby UniTaichi on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:09 pm

edededed wrote:Thanks Peacedog for the reply. I've learned a few different qigong methods over the years, including of course some circulation methods, but not really anything like elements (except maybe 6 sounds). So I am just trying to match what I know, with some of the stuff you are talking about... (I'd love to talk more)

Can this stuff be developed in IMA practice as well? Some people have talked about a "swimming" feeling when doing bagua, for example - not sure if that is akasha.

Hi edededed, Peacedog,

Recently, Dglenn post the following. The bolded text, which Dglenn did not translate goes something like : the elder or in ancient time, it is described as '' swimming in water'' .

3.化劲 此谓《山西六合心意拳》的高级阶段。在掌握明劲、暗劲的基础上,在与人较技中,切记舍己从人,沾连粘随;处处虚无不着力,整体浑元不弹簧,日久功深达到人不知我,我独知人,一触即发、发则必中之高超之境。应敌犹如“水中游”,此谓化劲阶段。拳谱云:“拳无拳、意无意,无意之中是真意。”

IMO&E, these stuff can be developed and am of the most advanced IMA. My experience 3-4 yrs back when doing my CMC/HXS 37/108 taiji form was as described by Peacedog, timeless. That is, you know you are doing the form, but after finishing, you don't feel the concept of time.

However, pls note that in this swimming or spacetime development , there are several stage of progression. The one above is just the first initial step. Last year, I experienced another level of ''swimming in water'' which is really awesome.

IME, there is also the ''slowing of time'' and again breakdown into 3 state of ''sot'' , for you or the other person or object or for both. Another is ''time stop'' and again for you or the object/objects or person/people. Notice I did not put ''time stop'' for both, which I don't recall having experienced.

As for the monk doing slow walk or walking meditation, can indeed develop these abilities, and more that I know of.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby edededed on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 am

Ha ha - well, I can read Chinese okay, too - I just haven't been able to achieve much personally (in qigong, etc.). (But at least I am honest about it, and not crazy, I guess?)

Mainly, I have obtained the magic ability to... (drum roll) wiggle my nose. Sigh. (Not in the way of Bewitched.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:03 am

UniTaichi wrote:Hi edededed, Peacedog,

Recently, Dglenn post the following. The bolded text, which Dglenn did not translate goes something like : the elder or in ancient time, it is described as '' swimming in water'' .

3.化劲 此谓《山西六合心意拳》的高级阶段。在掌握明劲、暗劲的基础上,在与人较技中,切记舍己从人,沾连粘随;处处虚无不着力,整体浑元不弹簧,日久功深达到人不知我,我独知人,一触即发、发则必中之高超之境。应敌犹如“水中游”,此谓化劲阶段。拳谱云:“拳无拳、意无意,无意之中是真意。”

Cheers,
UniTaichi

I have translated the last few lines somewhere on here. I don't know why they're missing on that thread.

edit
{3- Hua (transforming) Jing - This is considered the highest stage of practice. (高級 Gaoji) You must have already grasped the stages of Mingjing and Anjing and have a very strong foundation in them. You should have a lot of experience in fighting as you must know that this stage is 'Sheji Cong Ren' [same as in Taijiquan] Give up yourself and comply with the opponent. Use 'Zhan, Lian, Nian, and Sui' (sticky, link, adhering, and complying). Everywhere you need to be empty and not exerting strength. The whole body must be blending and smooth (hunyuan) and not starting and stopping. The skill of 'The opponent does not know me, I alone know the opponent.' At any time, place, or moment you can emit (fa) but only emitting force at the precise moment. }

[That line should be something like:] {When facing your enemy it should feel like when you are "Swimming in the middle of a River",...} [which is where a river is it's most powerful and you should just 'Shun' (go with the flow) and make your way to the sides of the river where then you can go against (ni) the power/momentum/ flow.]
{...which is the name that defines the Hua Jing level of skill. Quan Pu (Boxing Journals) say: "Fighting without fighting, Intent without showing Intent, not showing Intent while in the midst of doing something is 'True Intent' (真意 Zhen Yi)".}

The whole text is about fighting.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:45 am

UniTaiChi,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

The Akasha work is interesting and the purple light you mentioned is in fact the Akasha force. With practice you can begin to manipulate and shape it. Running it through the orbits is tricky as you need to flush it out with vital force/chi or it can get stuck and cause problems.

The main use for Akasha comes when you can generate enough of it to surround your body. Then you can pull any of the other forces/energies/phenomena out of the Akasha in a much purer form than they exist in space surrounding you.

Basically you generate the Akasha in a sphere around you with a space of a foot or two between the Akasha and your body. Then you will the other forces to generate from the Akasha. This is particularly useful when conducting massage or healing work as you can then use massive amounts of vital force/chi to treat other people without tapping into your own reserves.

Akasha can be used to fah jing/throw someone as well, but you need to be careful with this as most people find it fairly disturbing and it can screw them up mentally to a degree by unsticking things within their system. The sensation is soft and cool when it happens.

Just keep in mind that working with Akasha is fairly draining and it will take awhile to build strength at doing this.

The timelessness and swimming with air phenomena stems from manipulating astral energy directly and has a variety of uses. If using this force to fah jing/throw someone it is interesting. They feel you connect with them but generally describe it as being unable to move or do anything about it and the next thing they know they are flying away from you. Their mind observes their body moving is the best description I've ever been given by someone that experienced this.

I can only do this while standing still and holding onto someone at this point in time and it is really only useful as a kind of demonstration. I have seen others who can do this on the move and it is interesting.

As you said, the walking techniques can generate a variety of interesting effects. One of my teachers once mentioned that the walking techniques are the fastest way to develop real power.

As for the intention without intention stuff, I only experienced this on a few occasions in Iraq when under real stress. I wrote about this on the board a few years back, but my ability to do this kind of thing only seems to manifest under very stressful/dangerous circumstances. It has only happened when someone was trying to kill me (i.e. using killing intent).

Another of my teachers once told me that many of the martial abilities will only develop/occur when faced with what he called the "acid test" or needing to fight for your life. Thankfully this doesn't happen very often. So I can't really comment much on that.

I think some of the older board members who were in the south Asian wars could provide more details on that if they wish. In my military career I was mostly a support guy, so my experience with this kind of thing is very limited.
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Peacedog,

Thanks for your further description of the Akasha force. Somehow, I do not feel that what I am seeing is the same type of energy. My Purple light or ray is from the Seven Ray. In fact I started out seeing Blue, Purple and now Violet. For this year, I am working with the Violet Flame for healing, cleansing and transmutation. There are numerous type of energy/modalities , so I would not be surprised that the Akasha force is unique in itself. The part about using it to fajing is also interesting. IME, there are several method/techniques to generate IP as I have learned to do from no less than 6 teachers, and a few others that I visit, all using different methods. And all can send, throw their opponent out hopping or flying away, some with no touch. From what I learned, there are also quite a bit of over-lapping to various degree in the methods used. Perhaps that is why there seem to be some confusion in IP discussion. Eg. LHBF, Xingyi, Yiquan, ILQ, all have similarities. (Pls noted that I trained with my teachers either on seminars or regularly for 3 - 6 mths.) For internal organ fajing you can watch Sifu Kum Tong of LHBF HKG here ; https://youtu.be/DhCGKSGKEvY?list=FLzrM ... HTjtjPjIdQ

As for your experience under stress, I totally agreed with you as it is per my own experience under life and death situation on at least 2 occasion. And your are right, I too don't wished to experience it again.

On the other members, I wished more can share their experience on such phenomenon as in or during IMA/IP training. If you have read Sun LT book, he gave quite a few extra-ordinary example how he felt during his own training.

Perhaps we can start with Xingyi Hua Jing what was termed as “水中游'' "swimming in water". The Xingyi practitioners can asked their sifu, their Grandmasters, especially those in China, what they understood as ''swimming in water'' . D_glenn have already given his interpretation, so hope other can share what they know.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby TrainingDummy on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm

UniTaichi wrote:Hi Peacedog,

Thanks for your further description of the Akasha force. Somehow, I do not feel that what I am seeing is the same type of energy. My Purple light or ray is from the Seven Ray.

The experience of purple light in meditation spaces is fairly common and cross-cultural. I would say "how" the different traditions relate to the light experience can be very different. So you may be exploring a similar space of consciousness as Peacedog's Akasha, yet your technical approach may focus on different qualities resulting in a different meditation state.

Alternatively it is my experience that using colour only to describe a meditation experience isn't enough to paint a true picture of the state. Focusing on additional qualities such as size, movement, feeling, felt presences, and uniformity of the space can describe a wide variety of states of consciousness that were previously described as just "purple". A large portion of my own training was to tune into different things (stars, metals, trees, fast food chains) and describe how they changed my state of consciousness in order to develop the capacity to describe meditation states.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:20 am

Hi TrainingDummy,

Yes, I agreed with your thoughts that different techniques, approach on different qualities, etc. Which is why I felt that even though the colour is same, the others(qualities ?) are not. My seeing the purple colour is not from meditation. It just happened one fine day. And I only did two period of meditation so far, first one for 5 days in 2003 and the latest for 9 days in Oct. 2014. using the Theravada method of Anapanasati (mindfulness of breath). Both times I was able to go OBE, so I guess this is the correct method for me. I use natural breathing in most of my work and training, unlike what Peacedog described in his practice or description in his method.

Your method of tuning into different things is also very interesting and sound quick unique to me. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by tune into different things and describe how they changed your state of consciousness in order to develop the capacity to describe meditation states.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby TrainingDummy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:02 pm

UniTaichi wrote:Your method of tuning into different things is also very interesting and sound quick unique to me. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by tune into different things and describe how they changed your state of consciousness in order to develop the capacity to describe meditation states.

"Tuning in" to things has a few prerequisites, so it's not easy to explain the technique in a few sentences. Here's a link to one of my teachers books, see Chapter 11.

http://www.eso-garden.com/specials/awakening_the_third_eye.pdf

Practicing tuning in expands your palate of consciousness, at first all your familiar with are your own thoughts and emotions, but by feeling things that are different from your normal states of consciousness you you gain the capacity to describe peak states in a language that is more descriptive.

A metaphor that my teacher used was trying to explain the taste of chocolate ice-cream to someone that have never eaten chocolate or ice-cream. If you feed that person chocolate and different types of ice-cream then they may be able to imagine what chocolate ice-cream might taste like, but it would be very difficult for someone to go straight into that imagined taste. So too with meditation states, beginning (and advanced) mediators often completely miss ranges of experience simply because it's never been pointed out to them or they can't conceptualise what those states may feel like. Tuning in gives you some cognitive flexibility about the range of things you can feel.
Last edited by TrainingDummy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby UniTaichi on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:25 am

Hi TrainingDummy,

Thks for the link. I tried a few time to open but end up my Laptop hung. But I did get a glimpse of the content under chapter 11, Tuning in. I managed to download the first 2 page and I saw the name ClairVision. They have a group here and I am on their mailing list. They have been trying to get me to signed up for their awakening the 3rd eye course. ;) I might be meeting the group again this Nov/Sept in the coming Love & Light Festival, so I will get someone to let me know what is 'tuning in''

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Previous

Return to Off the Topic