Hong Kong universal suffrage

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Hong Kong universal suffrage

Postby Fubo on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Way to go Apple Daily for supporting the Occupy Central movement! The South China Morning Post is nothing more that a propaganda machine of the central government. Happy to see so many Hong Kongers fighting for their right to elect a real chief executive… and for the people who oppose this movement, they should immigrate to China and see how many human rights they can enjoy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/0 ... 48192.html
Fubo
Wuji

Re: Hong Kong universal suffrage

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

It seems that Hong Kong's Occupy Central already has something US Occupy failed to do and that is to make a demand. I hope they succeed and if there is no elaborate screening process to prevent candidates as in other countries, such as ???, in a place as small as Hong Kong it's possible a truly populist candidate might be elected to a position of power without having to sell his soul for air time.
Michael

Postby Dajenarit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm

Occupy was such a waste of time...

Who woulda thunk that letting cops beat on, pepper spray and arrest you while camping in parks and living on donations for weeks on end wouldn't sway many Americans of all people to your cause.

New Yorkers loooove all night drum circles and not being able to get to work on time....

Leadership? Goals? Organization? A simple message? Who needs that shit?
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 pm

I think the Hong Kong people will probably be a little more practical and make demands.

I've lately been enjoying some Jon Steward-esque news reports from a youtube channel called China Uncensored with Chris Chapelle.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Is Democracy Doomed in Hong Kong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZcJxMAdaNU
5:06
China Uncensored
Published on Sep 1, 2014

The dream of democracy in Hong Kong may have just died. The Chinese Communist Party just put the final nail in the coffin of the long promised universal suffrage supposedly guaranteed under the "one country-two systems," rule that was established by Deng Xiaoping and Margaret Thatcher for the British handover of Hong Kong to Mainland Chinese rule. But will this be the beginning of "a new era of civil disobedience," as the leader of the Occupy Central movement has claimed? Will Hong Kong ever be able to vote for their Chief Executive? Find out on this episode of China Uncensored.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 am

Dajenarit wrote:Occupy was such a waste of time...

Who woulda thunk that letting cops beat on, pepper spray and arrest you while camping in parks and living on donations for weeks on end wouldn't sway many Americans of all people to your cause.

New Yorkers loooove all night drum circles and not being able to get to work on time....

Leadership? Goals? Organization? A simple message? Who needs that shit?

The obvious need to make mass-traction demands was ignored for months in NYC and other big cities while union workers and others were making effective protests at the capital in Madison, Wisconsin, completely unaided by Obama and his campaign promises, and largely ignored by the mainstream media, who preferred to discuss hippies in tents, the same thing that happened to the anti-war movement of the 60's when radical* hippies contaminated a legitimate and popular political action against the war in Vietnam.

* By radical I mean promoting a viewpoint that is too extreme and disconnected from most people's priorities to be an effective political message.
Michael

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 am

Not to make it into some big conspiracy sans evidence, but Occupy was such an ineffective circus, that about half way through it, I started to believe the whole thing was set up as a social pressure release valve in light of Wall Street fleecing the world economy with no consequence. Aided and abetted actually. The media hyped it up only to help drag it down when it was time for the jack boots to come and end the charade. It had the genuine passion of a mass movement but it seems like it was subverted pretty early on into ineffectiveness with just a lot of misguided ham handed kumbaya bullshit. Some people at Adbuster's send out a flyer and out pops a mass movement? Ok...

Besides the obvious provocateurs that got busted time and time again, Alot of the so called non-leading leadership seemed to be purposefully misdirecting and nullifying any momentum they could of created with tactics that they should of known had no chance of working. I was almost embarrassed to call myself an anarchist. That particular crowd really made a proper mess of the whole politics of it all even more so than the usual pseudo-leftist, liberals, progressives, tea-baggers etc etc. They came off as a bunch of confused trust fund babies throwing a tantrum which wasn't at all the case with 90% of the protestors, but it was their fault for letting the media label them as such. I mean these were the so called veteran organizers and activists in America, they should of knew the game by now. Was it really time for the people's microphone nonsense? Maybe they didn't learn the lessons of the anti-war and civil/human rights movements back in the 60's well, or maybe they weren't taught by the older generation how to get things done proper. I of course should take into account that our government are masters at mass social movement control and manipulation, but that shit was such a needless disappointment. Millions of people of all ages, all walks of life spontaneously mobilized with nothing to do for months... Good grief. Literally nothing got accomplished but the creation of a new throwaway slogan. "We're the 99%" Lol
Last edited by Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:47 am

I think Wall Street was deeply offended by some of the epithets, and when Occupy said they would harangue stock brokers on the way to work, I saw the 1% guffaw.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 am

Check out this candidate for NY governor, Randy Credico.

He recently got arrested in the subway for asking why some thugs were harassing an old black man. Turned out they were transit cops so they arrested him for resisting arrest, lol.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:25 am

Lol I like that guy already. His plan sounds good. How's he gonna make it happen....
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:26 am

Better yet hows he gonna get himself elected? lol
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:30 am

It seems that at the very least he puts pressure on the mainstream candidates to go in these directions that make sense. It's quite difficult to argue against a Wall Street sales tax, so once the idea gets popular it might actually happen.

Just imagine that not only do they not pay any income tax, for the most part due to off-shoring and other loopholes, they can perform countless millions of high speed transactions that raise everyone's cost of living for basic commodities and do it without any financial consequences or risk to themselves when you consider bailouts, bailins, etc., and use tje 0% money to create more derivatives and fund other scams that add nothing of actual value to the nation, nor do they create productive jobs with those, ahem, financial instruments.
Michael

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 am

Michael wrote:I think Wall Street was deeply offended by some of the epithets, and when Occupy said they would harangue stock brokers on the way to work, I saw the 1% guffaw.

;D Didn't they have a photo of those Wall Street shmucks sipping champagne on a balcony while the Occupiers banged on drums and shouted nonsense on the street below?

Talk about a perfect visual.. They didn't even looked particularly offended, just probably annoyed that they didn't get a free show from the jack boots.

Yea cuz, shouting political vagueries and taking OC spray in the mouth is gonna make corporations pay their taxes, stop raping the planet and cause bankers so much utter guilt that they just give the world economy back to us regular shmoes... the same people who start literal wars for profit are gonna have their heart strings tugged with those little performances.. lol what a joke that all turned out to be..

"The leader-less-non-demand-making-movement". I blame the goddamn anarchists bloviating and debating that whole thing out of existence.
Last edited by Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 am

Well hes definitely someone I would follow in the future, but my problem has been that anyone I'm moved to vote for loses by a landslide. Last person I voted for was Jill Stein I think. Honestly I didn't know she was running until a month before election.

If the guy even gets coverage after the first couple weeks, NY media is exceptional at making a joke out of any radical candidate or idea, despite being supported by large majorities of the city, in 2 news cycles flat.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 am

Hopefully with the BRICS deal underway, China decides to keep it peaceful for now in order to avoid bad PR. I might make a move now if I were those activists. While the world is watching. Hell they should be crashing the meetings.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic