Time For Bonnie Scotland to Fuck Off?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Time For Bonnie Scotland to Fuck Off?

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 pm

SNIP
After the bonnie lads have exited the Union, what will Scotland Yard be called?
a. Ireland Yard
b. Welsh Yard
c. Kingdom Yard
It has a unique ring but Scotland Yard won't be the same? me thinks ;D
SNIP

An important question, and I hope that Whitehall has convened a special task force to discuss this very matter. While we await their decision, I suggest:
1. 'You're Nicked Yard."
2. "It's a Fair Cop, Guv Yard."
3. "Meter, not Yard, Yard."*

*We are all Europeans now, eh?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 pm

the last 4 days of Britain...
emptycloud

Postby Interloper on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Best of luck, Scotland! (And best wishes to England... you're not bad chaps!)

Last edited by Interloper on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:24 pm

My sense is that the "Ayes" will take it at the last minute in a tight, tight vote.

As an Englishman, I have been dismayed by the "No" camp's arguments: Their whole angle is fear-based, rather than being based on the positives of what is, by the standards of global history and governance, a pretty successful 300-year union. In short, I can't blame yes-voting Jocks for being anti-Westminster if this is the best our brightest political minds can come up with.

OTOH....I have been even less impressed by the "Yes" camp's arguments, which are evasive, emotive and downright Utopian rather than inclusive, rational or plain realistic.

But given that we humans - yes, even the famously "dour Scots" - are emotional rather than rational creatures, I suspect that this is why "Yes" will emerge (narrowly) victorious.

Personally, I don't want to see a breakup of the Union: after all, if two parties want a divorce, all is good, but if just one party wants it, it can be very bitter.

Even so, if that is what the Scots want...they have been given the opportunity, so good luck and God speed to them all. They may - just may - show a bright shining light for the powers of a smaller, devolved state that will set an important precedent in the years and decades to come.

And if "rump UK" accepts Scottish independence without an uproar, then that is the sign of a very, very enlightened polity indeed: How many other nations would let 10 percent of their land and population simply go their own way after a (close) referendum? This would be democracy to the max.

Above all, I would hope good cross-border relations endure. But they may not.

If it is "yes," the best possible outcome would then be for a sensible, just and moderate disentanglement process, equably negotiated between Westminster and Holyrood in a grown-up manner with an eye toward future friendly relations. This would be the common-sensical approach.

The worst possible outcome would be for a bad-tempered, vindictive or high-handed disengagement that would create immediate resentment and instability, and sew the sees for decades of bitterness and ill-feeling on both sides.

Interesting days ahead; I may just have to invest in a claymore, dirk and pistol.
Last edited by Andy_S on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:56 pm

not sure about the Utopian vision, either we end up as a poor economic colony of the Queen and her stirling or we end up in the arms of the EU...

(from Braveheart to Slaveheart feat William Wallet)

the fabled oil is complicated and not just a matter of sucking the stuff up and flogging it around the world.

What I would of liked to have seen is a third way, where Yes & No come together and as a united force bring down the parasite class.
A lot of folks around here seem to be wandering about with processed sound bites from the MSM as their heart felt ideology.

When the booze runs out and there is no more sport on TV, then and only then shall we perhaps witness an "insurrection of a million minds"..

The "Yes" vote is not very confident of a victory unless they are in a crowd, the individuals I have met feel pretty depressed and anguished already. Its possible that they may win by a baw hair.

The "No" vote are depressed because they are siding with the scum of Britain just to feel that their mortgage,pension and pay are apparently safe.

(the british parasite class is desperate and dangerous just now... anything could happen. The levels of institutional child abuse is off the scale. The left and right are up to their knees in it and closing rank to protect their lives.)

the country is uncomfortably numb...

Rich
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 am

Good times.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 am

if two parties want to be married, all is good, but if just one party wants it, it can be very bitter.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 am

how long before Scotland is accused of WMD's hidden in churches, schools, and sausage factories...
emptycloud

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:42 am

emptycloud wrote:how long before Scotland is accused of WMD's hidden in churches, schools, and sausage factories...

Depends on if they try and divorce their banking system from the private central banking model and attempt to use it primarily for the development of their real economy on high street instead of for the parasites in The City. If they actually try and assert local rule, I think we'll be finding a wee WMD or two up someone's kilt in no time.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby emptycloud on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

Many I speak to are adamant, its not a referendum but a revolution.
emptycloud

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:16 pm

In short...Independence? Romantically it's nice; in reality nothing will change other than the fact that the nationalists won't be able to blame anyone else but themselves for problems in Scotland.

all it will create is a greater divide between the people, if that's what they want, so be it
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Ya think the English will like the Scots more if the latter stay in the UK?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 pm

nope, and vice versa, i have some very good friends who are Scottish but all this nationalism is unnecessary imo. they are already recognised as Scottish and a proud people, the financial and economic implications are yet to be seen. I hope it works out for them either way.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Besides membership in NATO, what economic changes will occur if Scotland is "independent" as opposed to being part of the UK. Actually, it appears to me to be more a matter of pride (or nationalism) on both sides.

Of course, I've been watching "Outlander" :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm

most yes voters seem to be voting from their hearts, the no's are thinking about it all a bit more and are seem to be slightly more open minded. My brother in law is a Scots man, served as an officer in Afghanistan, he considers himself to be British. Another friend was brought up in Aberdeen, Scottish through and through, he's a yes man. For me it seems to be about pride but there are obviously larger implications of oil, health care, taxes to be taken into the consideration. They seem to think they can do it better than we ( english ) have done so far. They may well be right but it wont be an easy road. Pride before cometh the fall, i hope not.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic