Ashley Madison Affair

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Ashley Madison Affair

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 am

Yikes. A site that specializes in hooking up married people for liaisons was hacked, and the names of the ... participants are being published. Now the site's being sued for half a billion bucks. Hmm, I wonder if it were a site for prostitution, would they still be able to be sued if the site were illegally hacked? What if the police hack them?

Anyway, it is kind of funny to find out who's on the list. Not surprising, but entertaining to be sure. The Duggar guy from the tv show --who was an activist for public morals, but had sexually abused his sisters-- is just one. Tsk, tsk.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... ar-BBlZx9A
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Ashley Madison Affair

Postby grzegorz on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:06 am

The scary part is that thousands of names have been traced to Saudis and over their adultery in punishable by death. Crazy sh*t!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:29 am

A lot of money is probably being transferred to anonymous bank accounts. Blackmail is the second oldest profession.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Tense times in Government offices after Ashley Madison leak: click

Btw, Mods: it is still taking me at least a couple of tries to post in any thread. Is anyone looking into this issue? It's been ongoing for some time.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Gov't workers being naughty isn't interesting unless they're the ones who are proclaiming to stand for morality and family values.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Last edited by TrainingDummy on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 am

Two people may have committed suicide after Ashley Madison hack: police

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/two-suicid ... ector.html
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Wow, I guess death seemed better than facing the wife.

I read that there are only 3 zip codes in the US that don't have Ashley Madison accounts. Two are Native American; the other is in a place with no internet :0
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby DiaitaDoc on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm

DiaitaDoc
Anjing

Postby jimmy on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:50 pm

fuck 'dem hoes
dem don' knows
jimmy
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 am

31 million Male users
5.5 million female users . . . . No.... Almost every single female user was a faked account.

Out of those 5.5 million purported female users, Newitz says only 1,492 had ever checked their inboxes, a sign that they were active users. The chat feature was another telltale sign: while 11 million men used chat, only 2,400 women did. The third strike that flagged most of the female profiles as fake was the fact that only 9,700 women ever replied to messages they were sent, versus 5.9 million men who had.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ashley-madi ... port-says/
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Is Ashley Madison same as the movie HER then?
2000 shebots interacting with 40 million guys at
The same time?
Last edited by roger hao on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger hao

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 pm

Bao wrote:31 million Male users
5.5 million female users . . . . No.... Almost every single female user was a faked account.

Out of those 5.5 million purported female users, Newitz says only 1,492 had ever checked their inboxes, a sign that they were active users. The chat feature was another telltale sign: while 11 million men used chat, only 2,400 women did. The third strike that flagged most of the female profiles as fake was the fact that only 9,700 women ever replied to messages they were sent, versus 5.9 million men who had.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ashley-madi ... port-says/

Yeah, I found that fascinating as well. It seems to explain why the hackers targeted them being that the whole thing was basically a billion dollar scam.

Personally I never though anything of it but I did find their advertising pretty annoying.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 am

I dunno who to believe, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn that the number of women participants is inflated.

The enormous data leak from the Ashley Madison infidelity dating website has not stopped people joining the service, the company says.

"Hundreds of thousands" of new members joined the website last week, according to owner Avid Life Media.

Details of more than 33 million accounts were stolen from the website and published online in August.

On Friday, the company's chief Noel Biderman stepped down. The firm said the move was in its "best interests".

Angels
In August, a huge dump of the company's data was posted online. It included the personal details of millions of members, and thousands of Noel Biderman's emails.

The data led to questions being asked about the number of females actively using the website.

Some of the emails alluded to the creation of artificial profiles called Ashley's Angels. One email suggested staff were experiencing "writer's block" when creating them.

Number one
"Some journalists have turned the focus of the criminal act against Ashley Madison inside out, attacking us instead of the hackers," the company said on Monday.

The statement said journalists had made "incorrect assumptions" about the number of female users on the website.

"Last week alone, women sent more than 2.8 million messages within our platform", the company said.

"The ratio of male members who paid to communicate with women on our service versus the number of female members who actively used their account (female members are not required to pay to communicate with men on Ashley Madison) was 1.2 to 1.

"These numbers are the main reason that Ashley Madison is the number one service for people seeking discreet relationships."

Prior to the hack, the firm had announced plans to float on the stock exchange in London later this year, with the aim of raising up to $200m (£134m)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:23 am

grzegorz wrote:Yeah, I found that fascinating as well. It seems to explain why the hackers targeted them being that the whole thing was basically a billion dollar scam.

Make sense. That's a good reason.

Steve James wrote:I dunno who to believe, but it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn that the number of women participants is inflated.

What should they else say? Admit that it's a scam? Just read some reviews of the site and you'll understand how worthless it is. The funny part is .... that it's mostly women who give good reviews. Or maybe there's a logic to it.... I guess....

And yeah, of course they'll get more Members now. The hackers helped the site with a world wide marketing campaign. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic