youtube help

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

youtube help

Postby cloudz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:54 am

Hi,

wondering if anyone can help me out with a small issue.. When clicking through to you-tube, all the main videos come up with a blank white screen with a small grey exclamation mark in the centre. ???

the clips down the side all have screen shots but when I click on them, I get the same thing. really strange. So far it only seems like this on my work PC. I haven't checked my home laptop, but I was watching clips at home on the I-Pad this weekend..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: youtube help

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 am

Aliens.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:11 am

it's weirder than that.. ok so small breakthrough. I can watch a clip, but apparently I need to do it this way.

First click I get what I described before. If I close it and re click, same again. But, by accident I kept the first page open and clicked the link again. this time when there are two pages open the second one actually works and plays the clip.

WTF
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:38 am

If you're not already using Chrome as your browser, I would try that first.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 am

might have something to do with the flash player.
could try an update or reload.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 am

^^ I don't think that's an issue (unless he is specifically configured to use Flash), as YouTube has been using HTML5 by default for a while now:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/27/youtub ... ow-deader/
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 am

Hi George,

The Flash plugin may be old and the browser may be disabling it because of a serious security vulnerability. Firefox started doing this recently, though with an explanation.

To diagnose:

1) First close all browsers and update your Flash plugin here https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ - remembering to disable the McAfee plugin
2) Try all browsers on your system (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Exploder) to see if some work and others do not

You can't normally go wrong with Chrome/Firefox with an up to date plugin. Try that.

Cheers,

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:27 am

Thanks guys, updated the flash player and did the trick.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 am

Glad it worked, but it's really weird! I thought YouTube had switched to HTML5 a while ago... :-/ Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using? It's not chrome, right?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:48 am

Microsoft IE, keeping it old school
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:22 am

Many YouTube videos will play using HTML5 in supported browsers. You can request that the HTML5 player be used if your browser doesn't use it by default.

https://www.youtube.com/html5
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 am

cloudz wrote:Microsoft IE, keeping it old school

Ahh, that sort of explains it; thanks.

Switch to Chrome man... Chrome is 'old school' now. IE is just old. :) (And fat and slow.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 am

Dmitri wrote:Switch to Chrome man... Chrome is 'old school' now. IE is just old. :) (And fat and slow.)

I would recommend Firefox. Don't let Google use your internet habits for their Evil Masterplan. :P

Seriously, everyone should abandon Chrome and never be logged in to any google account. Use other search engines as well. Seriously... they ARE evil. ;)

Seriously 2, I know several people who work with computers and stuff, developers etc, who always use I.E. Nothing bad about that. Just a tiny bit slower. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Bao wrote:
Dmitri wrote:Switch to Chrome man... Chrome is 'old school' now. IE is just old. :) (And fat and slow.)

I would recommend Firefox. Don't let Google use your internet habits for their Evil Masterplan. :P

Seriously, everyone should abandon Chrome and never be logged in to any google account. Use other search engines as well. Seriously... they ARE evil. ;)

)

Second that.

Chrome has a voice activated search option that is left on by default. That means that for most computers, Chrome is recording through your microphone.

arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/speech-recognition-hack-turns-google-chrome-into-advanced-bugging-device/

Bummer this macbook I inherited has no external mic port. On my previous laptop I used to keep a dead mic chord plugged in to block it. I made a little cover for the built in camera be keep that covered. Newer laptops all have cameras and microphones that can be hacked and turned on remotely without your knowing. Chrome likes to listen to your mic "just in case" you try to use the voice activated search function. No actual human is listening, AFAIK, but to me, that's besides the point.

Bad google, bad!
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic