KTMMA - Blatant Self Promotion :)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: KTMMA - Blatant Self Promotion :)

Postby Azer on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Bhassler wrote:Out of curiosity-- why did you decide to put the MT ahead of the MMA? In the US, most folks think stand-up is more exciting, so it would be a good way to get the crowd fired up for the second round. And if you want to be Machiavellian about it, if the guys gas themselves in the first round rolling, you're more likely to see knockouts due to fatigue or a guy who got dominated in round 1 having to press for the KO in round 2, which again adds to the excitement.

I hope at some point you can put out something about what all you've gone through with this project, what it takes to do a good fight promotion in general, etc.

We had and still regularly have a lot of discussions about the round type and order, it's a really complex aspect of this promotion. We've played around with other formats, this one seems to work the best. We've been considering picking the rule set randomly at the beginning of the fight and maybe same for a third round, but its all still in the pipeline.

I think the main thing for a good promotion is securing finance, unless you plan to start out grass roots and grow organically which is a very slow process but much less cash intensive and less risk. If you want to position further up the market, need to consider two main revenue streams, ticket sales and sponsorship. For ticket sales, as a new brand, its difficult to fill large venues without first building a fan base, so this ticket stream is quite limited (compare to say UFC 15,000+ tickets at £100.00+). For sponsorship, unless you want to risk devaluing your brand with random sponsors which will make it difficult to attract bigger names down the line, you need to get television coverage, this is one of the main factors for pulling in big sponsors and significant money. So in terms of finance/capital, you need to have enough to get the right quality of venue, AV production, design, marketing, etc to see you through long enough to build a fan base, get coverage and attract sponsors.

Overall, its quite fun, can be very hectic some days, particularly weigh in and fight night.

Michael wrote:Love the dubstep mix :)

That's our video production guys, they do a lot of cool stuff! :)

wiesiek wrote:I would love to see format different than - conditioning and punch resistance - win
but
it not goin` to happen :'( , that`s live... :-\
even most technical oriented judo went this way, from the Tokyo Olympic game time.
I don`t know, - something in rules sets?

nice chicks ,Az :)

Yeah, the girls are great :)

There's some more here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... amp;type=1
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Very cool, thanks!
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Watching more fights, I can definitely see how this would catch on in the martial arts community.

It is exciting to see the different aspects of people's games.

Maybe the third round can involve weapons.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Azer on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:11 am

Bhassler wrote:Very cool, thanks!

No worries!

grzegorz wrote:Watching more fights, I can definitely see how this would catch on in the martial arts community.

It is exciting to see the different aspects of people's games.

Maybe the third round can involve weapons.

Oh hey, worth mentioning the last show had 3 fight formats, 7 fights under WLF Rules, 2 ISKA title bouts and 4 KTMMA fights.

Yeah, its interesting to see what sort of game coach/fighters pick depending on the round order and their own strengths. We've had a few fights where one of the fighters was particularly out of his element in one of the rounds and was basically hanging on for 5 minutes, despite dominating in the other round. Sometimes its too close to call between the two and its one of the reasons I think a third round needs real consideration, but as I mentioned earlier, its got its own issues.

I've actually brought up the weapons thing before, after watching some dog brothers brawl. The main issue with it is getting the fighters who are willing and able to train and compete under 3 different rule sets in one go, there may be some regulation issues too, country dependent. Though I'm sure it would be great entertainment, if it went all three rounds. I'd still push for it though, maybe some special exhibition fight. It could be quite good as you could potentially attract a new market, no idea what size it is though.
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic