Hong Kong universal suffrage

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Hong Kong universal suffrage

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:27 am

China's got a lot on its plate with turmoil concerning neighbors to the south, as well as Japan, while internally it seems to be in the middle of a power struggle at high levels and is still making vain attempts at stopping its own citizens from talking about the most basic problems, such as food, inflation, etc.

However, yeah, it would be great if the BRICS bank could offer alternatives to IMF austerity and the financial aggression of the other 3 permanent members of the UN Security Council. So in that sense, Go China!
Michael

Postby Fubo on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 am

Well, just because the occupy movement in New York turned out to be unsuccessful doesn't mean it will be in Hong Kong. I'm not saying it will be successful, but I'm not going to base it's projected success rate on how it was handled in New York. These are, after all, different countries.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 am

I hope tons and tons of HK'ers get out and demand the right to elect their Chief Executive directly. And if that happens, I hope the way it gets handled well will end up being some kind of model for better government on the mainland.

These past few months in neighboring Guangdong, in the cities of Maoming and Dongguan, there were massive protests by laborers and other citizens and it seems the largest of these occurrences always happens in Guangdong Province. Since I've been here in 2005, there was the Dongzhou Massacre, a couple of others in that area between Shanwei and Chaozhou, as well as some successful car factory strikes in Dongguan and eastern Guangzhou where they had to actually give in to labor unions. Other factory workers have been very successful since that time increasing their wages and benefits, which have tripled in some cases, from about 1500 RMB/month to as much as 4500. Approx. 6.2 RMB / USD.
Michael

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 am

The George Bush/Ronald Reagan New World Order has been in force since the 1980s but it never will be New.
It only means the politicization and militarization of those that can pay for Corporations to do what they do and Law Enforcement to be the protectors of said Corporations. Citixens United was never about the rights of the citizenry and like the essence of Norm Chomsky's analyses, much of these slogans are the exact opposite of what hey purport to do.

Beijing was in charge after the first 10 seconds they took over from the UK!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 am

yeniseri wrote:Beijing was in charge after the first 10 seconds they took over from the UK!

No doubt, but unless they wanna pull another Tee-Anne-un-man Square, they have to change the culture in HK ideologically.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Previous

Return to Off the Topic