Kung Fu Drumming

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Kung Fu Drumming

Postby Appledog on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:04 pm

This kind of drumming is different from Hung Gar or Hakka Lion Dance drumming. I think, that given it's repetitive rhythmic style it might be a good fit for Chen Tai Chi, Xinyi Liuhe, or something like that. What do you think? Do you do any drumming in your school, would you like to learn? Does it have a place? Could you forge a new tradition or is preserving the old way more important to you?

Me, personally, I think this drumming is cool. I might pick it up. I think it would make a great B or C type class in a kungfu or taichi school. Great for attracting some of the younger students?
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Kung Fu Drumming

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:40 pm

The workout required for Taiko Drumming is harder than most people are willing to do
Good to do with FMA
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:08 am

http://www.historyofdrums.net/drum-hist ... ary-drums/

I like the Taiko drumming…..as a listener and spectator :)

Since I live in China I frequently hear the Chinese way of drumming combined with cymbals, often when there’s a new business open, an orchestra of Chinese drumming do their thing, annoyingly early in the weekend mornings mostly, followed or preceded by huge amount of firecrackers ablaze (actually they use compressed air to make the bang of firecrackers more and more nowadays, so there’s rhythm to that too)
The drumming ensembles consist mostly of elderly peoples, so I think the tradition dying out.
Last edited by Trick on Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Reggie on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:34 am

I studied with this guy -

Reggie
Santi

Postby Reggie on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:37 am

Done a lot of this -

Reggie
Santi

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:06 pm

Years ago while still in Sweden I studied Chinese swordplay(Qingping and Kunwu- jian) in one of the major parks in my hometown, there were an small ensemble of African-drumming doing there thing not far from our practice spot, although their drumming was not rhythmically in synch with our swordplaying it became a nice backdrop anyway.

Here in china training in the parks, there are not only other gongfu groups practicing almost next to one’s own training ground, but also other activities such as dancers, musicians, shuttlecock and badminton and so on players to.
If anything except from physical activity, it makes/forces one to train one’s mental focus.
Last edited by Trick on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Reggie on Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:34 am

Olodum in Bahia -

Reggie
Santi

Return to Video Links