I trained at an HME workshop learning Taichi with Adam's bro

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: I trained at an HME workshop learning Taichi with Adam's bro

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:33 am

a good 5% of comments on any given subreddit are along the lines of "you're doing it all wrong ... why are these comments all complaints or xyz ... can we have some moderation?!?!". you just have to ignore the 13 year olds or enjoy it or enjoy the sometimes witty responses.

this guy isn't the first idiot and won't be the last. plus, as you say, mizner comes across like an asshat even for any of us who like his skills. plus, nobody believes any of the "internal" skills. even when someone can do that TO YOU, it's ridiculously unbelievable. like you cannot believe it as it's happening or after. so as long as someone has some actual skills, there will be the accompanying shit-show of reactions on the internet.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:56 am

origami_itto wrote:I have to remind myself that the adults on the internet stopped maturing at 13.

My psychology teacher in high school said his biggest disappointment in life was when he discovered all adults are just overgrown children.

I must say that taking so much time and effort for this kind of silly April fools joke is incredibly childish. I bet he enjoyed himself tremendously.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:45 am

he was waiting and waiting and waiting and thinking "boy i'm so clever. i've got them now. mwahaha". what a big idiot lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:I have to remind myself that the adults on the internet stopped maturing at 13.

My psychology teacher in high school said his biggest disappointment in life was when he discovered all adults are just overgrown children.

I must say that taking so much time and effort for this kind of silly April fools joke is incredibly childish. I bet he enjoyed himself tremendously.

I think R.A.W. was the one that said something like the sad truth people can't grasp is that there is no grand conspiracy steering the ship, no adults in charge at the top taking care of things. People can't accept that and invent all sorts of boogeymen to blame for... well for bridges falling down, when simple greed and corruption and laziness is laying right there bare on the surface.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:48 am

everything wrote: as you say, mizner comes across like an asshat even for any of us who like his skills.

Yes.
everything wrote:plus, nobody believes any of the "internal" skills. even when someone can do that TO YOU, it's ridiculously unbelievable. like you cannot believe it as it's happening or after. so as long as someone has some actual skills, there will be the accompanying shit-show of reactions on the internet.

Yes also. When it comes to demonstration of internal skills on the internet, there's stuff that's various shades of fake, there's stuff that has good quality but is simultaneously tarted up with "this is the power of qi" mystification, and there's stuff that's pure gold such as Ma Yueh Liang. And to most people it looks all the same.
Regarding MYL, I never got to meet him but I know/knew several people who did. One friend of mine was at that time already accomplished in a family kung fu style, in Xingiquan, in Taijiquan, was a big strong guy and had a fair amount of fighting experience from a somewhat misspent youth. He asked MYL if he could cross hands with him; MYL said yes; they touched hands and my friend immediately fell over without knowing why, forwards into MYL's arms. MYL caught him, smiled, patted him on the back and sent him on his way. (I know, video or it didn't happen...)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:03 am

origami_itto wrote: I think R.A.W. was the one that said something like the sad truth people can't grasp is that there is no grand conspiracy steering the ship, no adults in charge at the top taking care of things. People can't accept that and invent all sorts of boogeymen to blame for... well for bridges falling down, when simple greed and corruption and laziness is laying right there bare on the surface.

Yes. For an increasingly large number of people, the idea that things can go badly wrong, short or long term, because of "simple greed and corruption and laziness" plus simple stupidity and incompetence plus simple bad luck because it's an uncaring universe of natural laws out there, not a caring God, is the thing that truly can't be countenanced. This basic notion seems to be much more frightening than the idea of our problems being due to a secret and malicious cabal or 'deep state' or lizard people or 'great reset' etc. So bring on the conspiracy theories: at the end of the day, these provide more comfort and solace than the bitter truth of "it's us ourselves who are screwing it all up, more and more". Because if it's the latter, then we truly have to look to ourselves, not just blame others and see ourselves as wronged victims.
Excuse me, I'll go and sit down now.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 am

Giles wrote:
everything wrote: as you say, mizner comes across like an asshat even for any of us who like his skills.

Yes.
everything wrote:plus, nobody believes any of the "internal" skills. even when someone can do that TO YOU, it's ridiculously unbelievable. like you cannot believe it as it's happening or after. so as long as someone has some actual skills, there will be the accompanying shit-show of reactions on the internet.

Yes also. When it comes to demonstration of internal skills on the internet, there's stuff that's various shades of fake, there's stuff that has good quality but is simultaneously tarted up with "this is the power of qi" mystification, and there's stuff that's pure gold such as Ma Yueh Liang. And to most people it looks all the same.
Regarding MYL, I never got to meet him but I know/knew several people who did. One friend of mine was at that time already accomplished in a family kung fu style, in Xingiquan, in Taijiquan, was a big strong guy and had a fair amount of fighting experience from a somewhat misspent youth. He asked MYL if he could cross hands with him; MYL said yes; they touched hands and my friend immediately fell over without knowing why, forwards into MYL's arms. MYL caught him, smiled, patted him on the back and sent him on his way. [i](I know, video or it didn't happen...)[/i]

;D

The problem is not that there are no videos of that event or similar ones....
there are ;D

The problem for some people is one of being caught in their own knowledge base,
thinking they're actually using the theories they quote from as a basis of the work they do..

Obviously, they are not. Otherwise there would be no question about what is being shown.

Can you point to fake and none fake or shades of fake ?

Qi mystification ;D ...the way Ma Yueh Lang would explain what he works with..not so mystical for those that use the theory

10yrs to discover it, another 30yrs to learn how to use it.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:14 am

Giles wrote:

Yes.

Regarding MYL, I never got to meet him but I know/knew several people who did. One friend of mine was at that time already accomplished in a family kung fu style, in Xingiquan, in Taijiquan, was a big strong guy and had a fair amount of fighting experience from a somewhat misspent youth. He asked MYL if he could cross hands with him; MYL said yes; they touched hands and my friend immediately fell over without knowing why, forwards into MYL's arms. MYL caught him, smiled, patted him on the back and sent him on his way. (I know, video or it didn't happen...)

The thing with video, for me, is that it's available here and now, if somebody says that they themselves can do something, then the means by which they can demonstrate it are at hand.

The wild history of a student of a student of a student of this one dude told me are usually held onto for some reason, usually enough to seek out more information at least. I can definitely believe that someone with the right amount of skill could do that to someone with a lot of aggression and tension easily. Who knows what the truth is, right? Everything is the context of the moment.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:52 am

windwalker wrote: ;D

The problem is not that there are no videos of that event or similar ones....
there are ;D

Indeed there are. I'm quoting the experience of my friend - who then trained and improved his internal skills for a further 30 years and was still amazed by MYL when he thought back - because that's one of my personal indicators that the 'crazy' stuff you see MYL doing in the old vids is genuine.

Regarding the rest of your post - sorry, partly no time to elaborate on 'shades of fake'. I know we partly have different frames of reference so that's a bit Been There Done That for me. Right, off to class now.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:44 pm

MYL ???
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 pm

Ma Yueh Liang
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:26 pm

Thanks
There is a great thing that happens in a clip of Ma from New Zealand
One of the people working with Ma puts on the hoppy hoppy dance
The next time he comes in Ma just drops him like a silver Ingot
Ma looks at the guy getting up with a perplexed look on his face
His look says no need to put it on for me
The problem with a lot of people who work with some of these people is they think they have to sell the product
If I did that with my teacher he would soon let u know physically
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The problem with a lot of people who work with some of these people is they think they have to sell the product
If I did that with my teacher he would soon let u know physically

Is that the problem ;D

maybe with some teacher's what is shown is in fact a real reaction.....
of course to know this either one would have to be able to do it, or have felt it.... :-\

Ma YueLiang Taiji Push Hands

朱春煊老师传艺Master Zhu Chunxuan Teaching the Art of Taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links