Interview with Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Interview with Adam Mizner

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:34 am

oragami_itto wrote:I asked him about the video I posted and he said that the "How" is in the course.

That's very, very vague...

One thing that I can say that is different about his material is that he makes it very, very clear that the goal is a transformation of the body and mind. It's very specific conditioning of both to produce the "taiji creature". It's not just a trick or an exercise or a technique that he's using, everything he does is fueled by the specific conditioning. Ting and Song which are attained through the exercises.
So the relevance to the video in question, the "How" to do the internal stretching, step 1 is "create the taiji creature" so there's no real point to explaining it to anyone who isn't already working on that project.
Hope that helps.

No, sorry it doesn't. Not really. If you do something based upon one body acting in relationship with another body, solo practice only won't help. You can create a beast, yet you will be unable to use it. So you need conditioning and build your body method by two man practice, practicing together with someone else. Only this kind of practice will teach you correct structure, balance and things like following, adhere, tingjin and timing. General ideas on, or conditioning through stances, forms practice, drills will never teach you how the body moves and acts when it stores a movement from the other person, how you uproot someone and let him float. It won't teach you anything about store and release "fa" a movement or energy "jin" into an opponent.

I know so many people who claim that practiced 3 to 6 hours every day forso and so many years, 20, 30 years. And when you meet them for PH or similar, they still get stiff, don't know how to balance etc. Solo practice is always only as good as the time you have spent practicing against someone. Your practice and what you learn seem fine to me. Just don't get stuck in the so common thinking that it's the drills, stance practice and forms that will teach you how to apply and use your art.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 am

Bao.

I wrote "exercise", you read "solo exercise".

The course includes partner exercises.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Just to clear it up I was talking about the interview clip not the piece of string one
Solo training can lay down the basis of good two man stuff
I would like to see the solo stuff done for a lot longer than 8 weeks before moving on to form
I have met a lot of people who are stiff and awkward who only practice two man stuff
You can only do solo stuff via video
To learn two man stuff you don't only need a training partner but one wth some degree of ability
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:17 pm

Definitely.

He says that the main motivation for the online course was to give people that took workshops something to work on between workshops. It's brilliant marketing, you have to admit.

I know two other local guys who are taking the course and one of them, in my opinion, is among the top three I've met at the weekly push-hands group in town.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:43 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Bao.

I wrote "exercise", you read "solo exercise".

The course includes partner exercises.

Well, so far you have only said things about stance practice and jibengong, so good that you cleared that up then. I am far more interested about how to practice to fajin into an opponent than to just fajin in thin air.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Bao wrote:
I am far more interested about how to practice to fajin into an opponent than to just fajin in thin air.

You might want to consider opening your thoughts up a bit more. Let things be as they are.
Last edited by willie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:14 pm

willie wrote:
Bao wrote:
I am far more interested about how to practice to fajin into an opponent than to just fajin in thin air.

You might want to consider opening your thoughts up a bit more. Let things be as they are."

If I let things be, I won't learn anything. I like to dissect things, stir things up or turn things upside down.

"acquire fajin powerful enough to stop anyone"

Fajin can be used for strikes, throws, qinna, or whatever. What was discussed in the vid was more from a tifang POV though, placement you could call it. Fajin striking power I rather practice on a sturdy kicking protection held by a partner. If it hurts good through the protection and he begs you to stop, then you are on the right track. ;D
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Bao wrote:
willie wrote:
Bao wrote:

You might want to consider opening your thoughts up a bit more. Let things be as they are."

If I let things be, I won't learn anything. I like to dissect things, stir things up or turn things upside down.

"acquire fajin powerful enough to stop anyone"

Fajin can be used for strikes, throws, qinna, or whatever. What was discussed in the vid was more from a tifang POV though, placement you could call it. Fajin striking power I rather practice on a sturdy kicking protection held by a partner. If it hurts good through the protection and he begs you to stop, then you are on the right track. ;D

great! can i see a video of that?
Adam's video unfortunately does not show the higher level fajin stuff. It's not in Yang style that I'm aware of.
willie

Postby HunYuan on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:18 pm

"Adam's video unfortunately does not show the higher level fajin stuff. It's not in Yang style that I'm aware of."

and
HunYuan
Santi

Postby willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 pm

HunYuan wrote:"

that's not what i'm talking about. that's structure.
Last edited by willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 pm

without intentionally trying to derail this thread because i do like Adam's stuff.
Other issues have come into the thread that i feel might need to be shown from a different view.
please listen to the interview in the beginning.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:29 pm

i dont quite see what you think this film shows
standard forms done by the usual suspects
and gene quoting the company line
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:45 pm

wayne hansen wrote:i dont quite see what you think this film shows
standard forms done by the usual suspects
and gene quoting the company line

I didn't post it for the people who have created a irremovable physical or mental block.
I posted it for people to have a chance at bettering themselves.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Do me a favour and enlighten me
What were you trying to show with that clip
I know I'm a bit thick but I don't see what it shows about real fa jing
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:13 am

wayne hansen wrote:Do me a favour and enlighten me
What were you trying to show with that clip
I know I'm a bit thick but I don't see what it shows about real fa jing

Never mind, I'm sure many have said the same things before.
willie

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links