IP/ Aiki Striking

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: IP/ Aiki Striking

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Bhassler wrote:Geez, people, haven't you read anything Dan has written on this forum, ever? He is a special flower. Get it right.

Dan is one of the few people on this forum who knows what he is talking about and can show and explain it.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Apparently he takes himself very seriously, as well. I will have to revise my opinion of him from a special flower to a special and delicate flower.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
Bhassler wrote:Geez, people, haven't you read anything Dan has written on this forum, ever? He is a special flower. Get it right.

Dan is one of the few people on this forum who knows what he is talking about and can show and explain it.

... But will never post a clip..... Everrrrr
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Rabbit wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:

... But will never post a clip..... Everrrrr

Someone else posted a video of Dan recently. It speaks for itself.
http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23966&sid=fe4f22e5690e7bc7eaa0413569967489
Last edited by Taste of Death on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 pm

So what exactly does it show
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

There is a finite number of elements available to and involved in creating internal power, but myriad ways of expressing that power. In those systems and methods that are the most "complete," all must draw from the same foundation. All the talk about how unique one's own art's approach is, is beside the point. It all comes down to very specific things you are doing to produce very specific effects. Comparing the works of various systems' practitioners, one can either see shared principles and concepts -- methods and results -- or note that some have one or more of these aspects that are lacking in others.

In those that share the same basic components and are holistic, yet different in stylistic "flavor," the main difference most often seems to be in the emphasis on certain mechanisms over others. So, for example, some will put greater emphasis on developing the condensing and expanding effects of dantian and mingmen (tandan and meimon), and have a "suck you in and spit you out" and "stuff you down" feel to their applications. Other internals systems will have more of a "whip you around" feel from a greater emphasis on the spiraling-wrapping-up power of the femoral joint-head tendons as their signature.
This does not mean that these are done to the exclusion of everything else -- they must all draw from the same development of internal structure and strength in order to develop and possess each and any of these elements. So, dantian/mingmen, and the kua are developed in all cases. Differing ratios of one aspect to the other may vary, and that in part contributes to different arts' particular flavors. The best-rounded ones are those that use all of these and other facets of internal power to the best advantage, and don't limit themselves to relying on just a small number of all the available ways of utilizing energy and force. As relates to IP striking, fajin/hakkei can be created from the processes of dantian-mingmen, and from those of kua, when delivered with acceleration -- both separately and in combination.

Last edited by Interloper on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Cady
That is quite simply...
1. Not even close to being true
2. Cannot be defended even under the most casual of scrutiny.
3. The various "parts" you mentioned are worked differently in various methods that are most assuredly NOT the same. And in some cases they are worked one way during a learning curve, than entirely different later on. This to the point that people under the same teacher, have no idea what the other people are doing and why... yet.
4. Last, there are well known internal teachers who quite simply do not even posess dantian, yet they have unusual power. Others depend on too much power; created from certain connections I won't discuss here that are not dantian derived. Many will end their career as "good enough" to get the job done and it will be as far as they go. There are some internal teachers/ coaches out there right now who have failed when tested for dantian. One or two of them are very famous.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Folding is just the modern translation of a probably 300 year old word. It became folding because aluminum folding chairs were invented and a previously unknown term was morphed onto folding aluminum chairs. What it actually means in CIMA is rotating the lower Dantian on its horizontal axle.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:39 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Folding is just the modern translation of a probably 300 year old word. It became folding because aluminum folding chairs were invented and a previously unknown term was morphed onto folding aluminum chairs. What it actually means in CIMA is rotating the lower Dantian on its horizontal axle.

No it doesn't. As has been discussed in clear western terms by a series of master level bagua and taiji teachers mentioned and shown around the world and right here in these pages.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:23 pm

折疊 Zhedie = Rotating/ turning the dantian on its horizontal axle. FFS!, it's actually more like a two-syllable acronym for the meaning!

:-X

If you have a different definition of the word that Taijiquan people of the past used to describe this action then I would love to read about it, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's been written down that way, and that's the way the word Zhedie is now and will be continued to be used well into the future.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 am

Hah! I see the confusion.
*In my discussion I was referencing an earlier thread on kua..* You picked up on the latter mentioning of dantian.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby jaime_g on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:08 am

Just by seeing the first video...Dan doesnt hit that way neither moves like this guy. I really would like to see him hitting that way, it would be way less painful ;D

I see clear flaws in that guy movements that I would never to be able to use on Dan's body... :P
Last edited by jaime_g on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:39 am

jaime_g wrote:Just by seeing the first video...Dan doesnt hit that way neither moves like this guy. I really would like to see him hitting that way, it would be way less painful ;D

I see clear flaws in that guy movements that I would never to be able to use on Dan's body... :P

how would you know, according to some

On a secondary note, for students, just because someone can do something... To you. Don't assume it's high level.

the point being, there is nothing to compare it to to see if it is a different method or not.
your looking at a clip, making a judgement commenting on something that others have not seen
"saying" its not the same.

since there are no clips for comparison, it might be better to talk about the "clear flaws" that you see but have not felt,
rather then about something you have felt but has not been been seen
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:47 am

jaime_g wrote:Just by seeing the first video...Dan doesnt hit that way neither moves like this guy. I really would like to see him hitting that way, it would be way less painful ;D

Hi Jaime
His movement is a carbon copy of the aiki- jujutsu coming out of N.Y. from the 80's-90's spread in the eastern U.S. and Yanagi ryu on the west coast. it is NOT indicative of the more traditional Japanese ones.
Go back and watch the old Kaza arashi, Miguel Ibarra, Bernie Lua, I Cho ryu, N.Y. stuff. It's the same stuff.
I'm not saying good/ bad/ or indifferent. Not commenting on the man. I'm just saying that telling people it is Kotaro Yoshida's art is a huge stretch on many levels. Yanagi ryu (another supposed Yoshida's branch) has more Chinese influence than Japanese.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby jaime_g on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 am

since there are no clips for comparison, it might be better to talk about the "clear flaws" that you see but have not felt,
rather then about something you have felt but has not been been seen

I see same side arm-leg weighting, no use of leg bows, no central equilibrium. Dan is an entirely different beast.

That guy strikes may feel like a wall, but even I can do that (and I'm a shit). I dont feel fear from that kind of movement, if you know wrestling-grappling you have a lot of tools to deal with it, look at his lower body.
jaime_g
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links