Tomahawk

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tomahawk

Postby willywrong on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Like this guys attitude to training and innovative ideas what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOMYdnxl ... ploademail

In spirit
Eric
willywrong

Re: Tomahawk

Postby Andy_S on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Willy, ye are wrong.

Even if facing 100 chaps with tomahawks, a handful of Winchester repeating rifles win the day.

Then - capitalized with a barrel of rotgut whiskey - ye can buy up South Dakota.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Just like an Aussie to bring an axe to a gun fight
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Kinda fun seeing Doug doing his thing. Still, I'm not sure if they're planning on this being blunt, in which case none of the cutting actions will do anything and it's basically a tiny tonfa.
OTOH, if it's meant to be sharp, it'd be nice to see them actually cutting something to show that an edge that short on an axe is useful for slicing as well as chopping. I suspect not, and unfortunately I just ground the edge off my practice hatchet so I can't test that myself >:(
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 am

how to sell small axes for $425 ea.
nice try :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 am

Prefer the shovel - cheaper, easier to carry, more adaptable

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 am

wiesiek wrote:how to sell small axes for $425 ea.
nice try :)

heh. Also their brand name is already taken ;)
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/4069060
Last edited by Teazer on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Andy_S wrote:Willy, ye are wrong.

Even if facing 100 chaps with tomahawks, a handful of Winchester repeating rifles win the day.

Then - capitalized with a barrel of rotgut whiskey - ye can buy up South Dakota.

That's my name Andy :D I have a Rossi repeating rifle myself with a 2X red, green scope on it. I would personally in a small space rather have the tomahawk.
A handful would be five and dependent upon the calibre you might get 10 to 14 shots per firearm. 100 chaps, 140 to 150 rounds. At what distance you do the maths you need to get two out of three hits. Not going to happen. You need to change your name and join the family. New name for you would be Andy S wrong. ::)
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Teazer wrote:Kinda fun seeing Doug doing his thing. Still, I'm not sure if they're planning on this being blunt, in which case none of the cutting actions will do anything and it's basically a tiny tonfa.
OTOH, if it's meant to be sharp, it'd be nice to see them actually cutting something to show that an edge that short on an axe is useful for slicing as well as chopping. I suspect not, and unfortunately I just ground the edge off my practice hatchet so I can't test that myself >:(

My impression was that the blunts were for training purposes and that in actual usage. The blade and the hook would be sharp and of good quality steel. My tomahawk is 12 inch and with a hammer instead of a hook and is more for the bush. It also has a six-inch magnesium steel in the handle for starting fires. It's a nifty little thing and moves in a balanced manner in the hand. Although the weight of the head forces full employment of body mechanics when reversing direction. This is one of the reasons I like the way Doug moves in training.
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

RobP2 wrote:Prefer the shovel - cheaper, easier to carry, more adaptable

One hit with the axe or with a shovel pretty much for a much. I know you guys in the UK are a bit strange but do you walk around with a shovelling in your hand over there like that? ;)
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Just like an Aussie to bring an axe to a gun fight

Self depreciation doesn't become you Wayne. :D
willywrong

Postby Andy_S on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:09 am

Willy:

You may quote theory my dear chap but history proves that the Winchester-and-whisky wielders won the West, while the tomahawk wielders ended up....well, its a depressing story.

George MacDonald Fraser probably said it best: "The native Americans were brilliant individual warriors who happened to be useless at war."

RE: Shovels
In the UK we are keen gardeners and if one should spot some chavvish cur pissing on one's tulips - well, the only recourse a gentlemen has is to bean them with whatever gardening implement one has to hand. (Personally, I prefer a fork to a shovel - but that is just moi.)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 pm

You may quote theory my dear chap but history proves that the Winchester-and-whisky wielders won the West, while the tomahawk wielders ended up....well, its a depressing story.

Fwiw, the Indians also had guns by the time the English arrived. The problem was their diminishing populations, especially in proportion to the numbers of European immigrants. Shucks, you remember Custer lost his stand because many of the Indian attackers had repeating rifles, and none (iirc) of Custer's command had anything. You know, it was the old Army adage of "they'll waste bullets if they're given repeaters." At any rate, the Plains Indians were starved into submission, and not because they tried to use tomahawks :). In the case of the Eastern peoples, the use of the tomahawk and Indian battle tactics were adopted by the English, in particular Rogers' Rangers, who are still the model for our current Rangers. (Yeah, ol' Rog also fought for the Brits during the Revolution, but that's a minor detail).

But, I'se got to agree. Never bring a hatchet to a gun fight :) When I was a construction carpenter using the hammer 40 hours a week, I would have said that it was a great close-quarters weapon --at either end. Then again, I think that's primarily because of the developed stamina aopt any particular technique. The hammer was just an extension of the hand. The difference was the amount of practice. I think it's the same for the kukri-wielding Gurkhas. They use their primary weapon for everything. ... Of course, they also carry guns, too :).

I thought someone might have posted these types already.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Steve James wrote:

Fwiw, the Indians also had guns by the time the English arrived. The problem was their diminishing populations, especially in proportion to the numbers of European immigrants. Shucks, you remember Custer lost his stand because many of the Indian attackers had repeating rifles, and none (iirc) of Custer's command had anything. You know, it was the old Army adage of "they'll waste bullets if they're given repeaters." At any rate, the Plains Indians were starved into submission, and not because they tried to use tomahawks :). In the case of the Eastern peoples, the use of the tomahawk and Indian battle tactics were adopted by the English, in particular Rogers' Rangers, who are still the model for our current Rangers. (Yeah, ol' Rog also fought for the Brits during the Revolution, but that's a minor detail).

But, I'se got to agree. Never bring a hatchet to a gun fight :) When I was a construction carpenter using the hammer 40 hours a week, I would have said that it was a great close-quarters weapon --at either end. Then again, I think that's primarily because of the developed stamina aopt any particular technique. The hammer was just an extension of the hand. The difference was the amount of practice. I think it's the same for the kukri-wielding Gurkhas. They use their primary weapon for everything. ... Of course, they also carry guns, too :).

I thought someone might have posted these types already.

+10
Plus I would just like to mention that the Indians were tribal and tribal people have a totally different manner of warfare, but as you said when Sitting Ball gathered the Plains Indians together they beat the shit out of Custer on the seventh cavalry who might have been a brilliant general and the youngest in the Civil War, but his tactics were totally useless in this particular situation.

I'm given a link to Wikipedia page regarding the Winchester and if he looks he will notice the first released Winchester repeating rifle was 1866, two years after the cessation of the Civil War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_rifle
He might also find it interesting to read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel". More indigenous Americans died from disease brought to the New World then by the colonisers.

Had a tomahawk like the one in your picture got it from cold still, gave it away to someone, probably my son. I think Andy S Wrong needs to read more history books and stop watching so many BS cowboy movies. :D
I'm still not sure how discussion on a video that doesn't mention firearms evolved into a discussion of firearms.
Last edited by willywrong on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willywrong

Postby Steve James on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Well, just for shitters, here's #13 of Roger's rules for Rangers:
13. In general, when pushed upon by the enemy, reserve your fire till they approach very near, which will then put them into the greatest surprise and consternation, and give you an opportunity of rushing upon them with your hatchets and cutlasses to the better advantage.

And here's #13 for all U.S. Rangers today:
#13 When lying in ambuscade, wait for the enemy to get close enough that your fire will be doubly frightening, and after firing, the enemy can be rushed with hatchets.

The old ways that work never go out of style ;)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90038
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links