fa jin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: fa jin

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Here's a clip I had sitting on my computer. It's old though, filmed it around 2006.

This is the Basic Direction Changing Method (換式法 huan shi fa) for the Crab System (蟹形 Xiè Xing). A Baguazhang Animal System that was created by Dong Haichuan specifically for 马贵 Ma Gui because he was so short (about 4'10" tall).

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby brendo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:29 pm

@ Charles: You're right, and of course its same side in the chen whereas here he is crossing /springing up from the left, but the thing that made me think of it was how in the video, the focus went laterally, giving the appearance of being generated at the shoulder. Linking Cannons feels like slamming a door to me, the arms come from behind and to the side, then as weight comes forward, the right hip closes - but of course the weight settles into position as the fa happens in the chen, rather than bouncing upwards here.
筋长力大
brendo
Mingjing

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 am

Overlord wrote:
jonathan.bluestein wrote:You're going up in height, right? It's interesting as in XYQ, we usually (though not always) drop in height somehow with Fa Jin movements...

Hi Jonathan,

There are two types of fajing in Xinyi...

These 2 types are also called 'bolang jin' (breaking wave) and 'fanlang jin' (returning wave).

Several years ago forum member Dai_Boxer described how in Xinyi they first learn 'fanlang jin'.

In other CMAs, including Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan, they seek to first learn 'bolang jin' and then years later learn how to 'fanlang jin'.

In my clip above I'm only using 'bolang jin'.

FWIW

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

brendo wrote: the arms come from behind and to the side, then as weight comes forward, the right hip closes ...

Not as I learned it. The hips don't close.

In non-Hunyuan versions, the arms don't come from behind, they stay in front. But, we're straying from the topic.
Last edited by charles on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby wuwei sifu on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:14 pm

hey nice clip etc. etc.

i'll speak to what folks are calling a windup with a different facet/view.

in combat that so called windup can often accompany a defensive movement. Yet, most of us know by now that once we are in contact with our target area no windup or motion that moves away for the target is needed to express power/fajin.

when we are neutralizing the technique of our opponent that sometimes involves the fact that we may do so while
allowing or opponent to compress our bodies in an overt or not so overt way loading our spring/gun before launching our attack/shooting the arrow/bullet.

the part with no opposite/overt movement away from by our opponent with our weapon of choice is one of the things i demo'ed this year at our tai chi pic nic. using my beautiful lady's hand/punch as my weapon.

and thx. to the chap that saved me time on saying that both a sinking and rising style of fajin expression can be used .
the use of that C back is seen alot in various internal styles. it's pretty natural once you think about how we use our bodies like a spring to contract 1st. and then release/uncoil.

gotta watch that crab stuff now. i try to answer/reply without looking much at other replies. if someone has already said it i edit my reply though.
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby wuwei sifu on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:30 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Here's a clip I had sitting on my computer. It's old though, filmed it around 2006.

This is the Basic Direction Changing Method (換式法 huan shi fa) for the Crab System (蟹形 Xiè Xing). A Baguazhang Animal System that was created by Dong Haichuan specifically for 马贵 Ma Gui because he was so short (about 4'10" tall).

that crab looks a lot like the left only circle walk i do from the qigong set in " Ba Gua: Hidden Knowledge in the Taoist Internal Martial Art " by Hsing-han Liu .

i do that more in the winter time to warm my hands up on the bus stop. thx for sharing that glen. do you have any more crabby stuff you'd like to share. i 'd sure like to check it out. have read about Ma Gui, years ago but not see much of anything
unfortunately. :'(
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby Rummy on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 am

somatai wrote:would love to see other expressions from rsf folks

[/youtube]

May I know what RSF means?
Rummy
Mingjing

Postby somatai on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 pm

rum soaked fist...the forum.....nice work Devlin, would love to see what you are up to lately
somatai

Postby Overlord on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:00 pm

[quote="D_Glenn"quote]
These 2 types are also called 'bolang jin' (breaking wave) and 'fanlang jin' (returning wave).

Several years ago forum member Dai_Boxer described how in Xinyi they first learn 'fanlang jin'.

In other CMAs, including Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan, they seek to first learn 'bolang jin' and then years later learn how to 'fanlang jin'.

In my clip above I'm only using 'bolang jin'.

FWIW

.[/quote]

Yes!
Just sidetrack bit, the crap Bagua you posted is very much like an aikido move.
:)
Thanks.

Andy
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Overlord wrote:[

You'd better just be joking about the Aikido stuff -- before somebody gets crabby on you................... ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Sorry what a typo, I mean Crab. The I phone autocorrect to wrong word.

But yes, there is resemblance.

Over
Overlord

Postby NoSword on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 pm

D_Glenn:

You've been going on about 'bolang jin' and 'fanlang jin' since I joined the board and up until now I've largely taken it for granted. For some reason (probably having to do with seeing the recent Dai style videos), just now your remark sank in in a way earlier ones hadn't. You helped me with a minor insight/breakthrough. Respect.

I also appreciate better now how DSXYLHQ can generate so much power, and that their training is a volatile and intense form of neigong which one wouldn't want to attempt without proper instruction and supervision.

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 am

NoSword wrote:D_Glenn:

You've been going on about 'bolang jin' and 'fanlang jin' since I joined the board and up until now I've largely taken it for granted. For some reason (probably having to do with seeing the recent Dai style videos), just now your remark sank in in a way earlier ones hadn't. You helped me with a minor insight/breakthrough. Respect.

I also appreciate better now how DSXYLHQ can generate so much power, and that their training is a volatile and intense form of neigong which one wouldn't want to attempt without proper instruction and supervision.

AK

The two terms are used in some branches of Hebei Xingyi too.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby NoSword on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:44 pm

C.J.W. wrote:The two terms are used in some branches of Hebei Xingyi too.

One thing to know that fact, another to understand it with your body and know how it applies to your own practice. Not referring to you, but to myself.

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Rummy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Rummy wrote:
somatai wrote:would love to see other expressions from rsf folks

[/youtube]

May I know what RSF means?

Ooooh, I apologize for my ignorance.
Rummy