Kaiyu's Bajiquan Jin Gang Ba Shi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Kaiyu's Bajiquan Jin Gang Ba Shi

Postby Bob on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4Ewwk_Byk

Published on Jun 11, 2014

original link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVy3iQ...

Performed by my Shi Xiong Gary (Ying Hao Kang). From Taiwan now lives in San Jose, USA. Lives closed to Shifu Kai. Gary is 7th brother, second generation of our group. I'm 6th brother in the brotherhood first generation 1997-1998.

performance Shi Xiong saya Gary (Ying Hao Kang). Asal Taiwan sekarang tinggal di San Jose, Amerika bersama Shifu Kai. Gary saudara ke-7, generasi kedua setelah generasi saya. Saya murid ke-6, generasi pertama tahun 1997-1998

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Kaiyu's Bajiquan Jin Gang Ba Shi

Postby Bob on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZtmRexfZs

Jin Gang Ba Shi (Baji Quan)

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:30 am

Very nice, plain, efficient and powerful movements.
thanks
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:46 am

I posted these because I simply amazed at the variations under "Jin Gang Ba Shi". My Jin Gang Ba Shi is very different than either of the two above.

Interesting world we play in! LOL
Bob
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 am

This is very bad Jingang Bashi. Shown are the 8 basic movements of the art, known as Liu He Ba Shi. Everything is incorrect. He is trying to use Baji shenfa, but his Baji shenfa isn't good either. How do I know? Because I was taught these and have helped Zhou shifu teach them many times, most recently as last week.

Here is a long list of problems in the video, compiled in less than 5 minutes of observation:

- Stances are supposed to be very elongated and low. They're not.

- Lifting of the rear heel.

- Overt exaggerated sounds.

- Opening movement with the hands is wrong (should be using a 'Buddha-like' praying posture; it's a Buddhist art).

- First movement is supposed to have the weight on the rear leg, and it's on the front.

- Striking forward is never with the fingers and palm pointing sideways or with an open fist.

- Baji sliding into Ma Bu (again, not Jingang Bashi move) is done with the butt being tossed sideways... which is wrong.

- Ma Bu has the feet pointing sideways.

- The downward striking variation does not feature heavy hands as required. The hands are stiff.

- The Kai/He (open-close) variation shown on 01:07 is supposed to have the hands 'hugging' the body and then opening wide. They are not. So it doesn't develop any of the gongfu it is supposed to.

- The uppercut variation which follows is all wrong as well. The fist is misaligned with the wrist. The arm is misaligned with the body.

- Variation at 01:35 is just painful to watch. Nothing is done right.

- Variation at 02:10 is lacking two movements, and as with the rest of the variations he does not go low, and his openings and closings are too small.

- At 02:34 - wrong again. Shen fa he made up himself as with all the rest. The palm should target the chin and eyes, not the chest. Lucking a 'sucking in' power before going forward, too. Needless to say, doesn't go into gong bu, lack of any other proper foundations.

At this point I just give up. He obviously learned this from video. The guy has no clue. It is saddening and insulting he is teaching that stuff to other people.

What happened is that at one point, some Baji lineages borrowed the Liu He Ba Shi from the Jingang Bashi style. From then on, it seems, the vast majority of them have lost the essence of these movements entirely, and have been filling in the gaps with a lot of 'insights' which are not even remotely related to Jingang Bashi. The practice is also out of context. The Liu He Ba Shi are Jibengong intended to build a foundation with the Jingang system. These are just the first eight - there are 8 variations of each of these 8, total of 64. Then there are further '64 hard hands', and then '64 soft hands', etc etc. Each stage features a more evolved way of practicing the same concepts and techniques.

So call it whatever, but it is not Jingang Bashi. Frankly though, it's not good gongfu either, by any means.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby BajiNooby on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:17 am

What happened is that at one point, some Baji lineages borrowed the Liu He Ba Shi from the Jingang Bashi style. From then on, it seems, the vast majority of them have lost the essence of these movements entirely, and have been filling in the gaps with a lot of 'insights' which are not even remotely related to Jingang Bashi. The practice is also out of context. The Liu He Ba Shi are Jibengong intended to build a foundation with the Jingang system. These are just the first eight - there are 8 variations of each of these 8, total of 64. Then there are further '64 hard hands', and then '64 soft hands', etc etc. Each stage features a more evolved way of practicing the same concepts and techniques.

All the old family styles have Jingang Bashi 8 movements now. I feel they are helpful for basic training even with Baji things added in, they fit very well into the system. Baji has other borrowed stuff anyway. Baji in it's essence is only Xiao Jia and Da Jia, everything else is expansion from these and borrowed stuff. Our Pigua probably also sucks in the eyes of Pigua families, but still i've got a lot out of training it for my shen fa, as did probably many generations before me doing our sucky Baji Pigua :D . So i don't think it's fair to judge this video (and other Baji) from the view point of pure styles. But i do agree that kung fu is lacking here anyways.
BajiNooby
Anjing

Postby BajiNooby on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 am

A good example of Baji Pigua vs. Pigua is one story of my teacher Lü Baochun. He competed a long time ago in a national competition in forms, with his Pigua form. In the same division there was a pure Pigua family master, very famous (can't remember his name). My teacher did his Pigua with Baji style, with big impressive fa li. The Pigua master did a pure very nice Pigua demonstration, with super flexibility, mobility and fluid motion. The judges were impressed by my teachers big fa li, but they didn't know what Pigua really is, so they gave my teacher the first prize. After the competition my teacher went to the master and said that you are number one in this, they both already knew it.
BajiNooby
Anjing

Postby Overlord on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 am

BajiNooby wrote:A good example of Baji Pigua vs. Pigua is one story of my teacher Lü Baochun. He competed a long time ago in a national competition in forms, with his Pigua form. In the same division there was a pure Pigua family master, very famous (can't remember his name). My teacher did his Pigua with Baji style, with big impressive fa li. The Pigua master did a pure very nice Pigua demonstration, with super flexibility, mobility and fluid motion. The judges were impressed by my teachers big fa li, but they didn't know what Pigua really is, so they gave my teacher the first prize. After the competition my teacher went to the master and said that you are number one in this, they both already knew it.

Yes, pigua is very different favor.
巷外看熱鬧,巷內看門道。
Overlord

Return to Video Links