4th Dan Aikido challenges Turkish Wrestler champion

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: 4th Dan Aikido challenges Turkish Wrestler champion

Postby yeniseri on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Ueshiba was one of the few who actually trained hard up to old age!
So he possessed that hard conditioning the many refused to do and still refuse to do today. Easy does not do it in aikido. Just like taijiquan, people are so used to complying and yielding when it only leads to a heap of hurt. That is why when you slam someone on his back or borrow his legs, people will think twice about attacking you and they will know a true art when they
see you. Just my rephrasing of something Chang Dungsheng said at a workshop!
Just a workshop student and a bad one at that! Jus' sayin'
Last edited by yeniseri on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 pm

emptycloud wrote:
Ian wrote:What I meant was, where's the evidence that:

-aikido is 99% strikes, or
-adding strikes to the kind of freestyle situation in the OP video... would've made a damn bit of difference.

Other styles don't have this problem.

Entering into competitive arenas of sport or freestyle combat isn't really part of the culture of Aikido. This may change, there are some aikido schools who actively cross train in mma. (Will post some vids of their stuff, I am off to class right now, will do it later :) )

In my classes we devout sometime each week to simple, no nonsense self protection training where we essentially concentrate on fast strikes to soft targets.

Thanks for the clarification.

Personally, I'd rather train styles that don't have quite so many preconditions for their success.
Ian

Postby emptycloud on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 pm

yeniseri wrote:Ueshiba was one of the few who actually trained hard up to old age!
So he possessed that hard conditioning the many refused to do and still refuse to do today. Easy does not do it in aikido. Just like taijiquan, people are so used to complying and yielding when it only leads to a heap of hurt. That is why when you slam someone on his back or borrow his legs, people will think twice about attacking you and they will know a true art when they
see you. Just my rephrasing of something Chang Dungsheng said at a workshop!
Just a workshop student and a bad one at that! Jus' sayin'

This is a good point. Training hard into old age.

I try to reach my physical limit each day. Its not an easy practice. To do it in such away that avoids damage to the body or depression upon the mind.

I cycle two hours a day, work a manual job outside as a food grower, have two aikido classes a week, no car, and train at home casually... and at nearly 50yrs old ....its not easy... I try to make my work my training ground, lifting, digging, swinging axes, and other tools use.

anyone got any top tips for training as we age or is it just, no pain - no gain.

Rich
Last edited by emptycloud on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Postby emptycloud on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Ian wrote:
emptycloud wrote:
Ian wrote:What I meant was, where's the evidence that:

-aikido is 99% strikes, or
-adding strikes to the kind of freestyle situation in the OP video... would've made a damn bit of difference.

Other styles don't have this problem.

Entering into competitive arenas of sport or freestyle combat isn't really part of the culture of Aikido. This may change, there are some aikido schools who actively cross train in mma. (Will post some vids of their stuff, I am off to class right now, will do it later :) )

In my classes we devout sometime each week to simple, no nonsense self protection training where we essentially concentrate on fast strikes to soft targets.

Thanks for the clarification.

Personally, I'd rather train styles that don't have quite so many preconditions for their success.

This chap in Mexico and his crew are developing things in MMA alongside aikido as their principle art.

http://youtu.be/4M2uG7_N_Io
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Postby Overlord on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 am

There are Aikidoka, and there are Aikido talker ka.

Usually the later ones compare and criticize, but the one follow the dao simply do.

If after forty years of aikido training move like a MMA, then the talent is with MMA, not aikido. (^.^)
Overlord

Postby timfire on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 am

I recently came upon this quote:

Ellis Amdur also brought to my attention O Sensei's words: "Aikido is 90% atemi". According to him, understanding it in a way that "Aikido is 90% of strikes" is mistaken, because if one develops what he calls the "Aiki body", one should be able to develop power, perform transfers of forces, and even apply percussion using any body part, and in any position.[4] Philippe Gouttard recently explained to me that since etymologically, atemi is the union of two words: ateru (touch / reach / hit) and mi (body), one should consider that one is executing an atemi every time one touches a partner.[28] We thus find the idea that the essential art of the technique is considered an atemi.

http://www.guillaumeerard.com/aikido/ar ... -in-aikido
-- Timothy Kleinert
timfire
Santi

Postby Overlord on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 am

timfire wrote:I recently came upon this quote:

Ellis Amdur also brought to my attention O Sensei's words: "Aikido is 90% atemi". According to him, understanding it in a way that "Aikido is 90% of strikes" is mistaken, because if one develops what he calls the "Aiki body", one should be able to develop power, perform transfers of forces, and even apply percussion using any body part, and in any position.[4] Philippe Gouttard recently explained to me that since etymologically, atemi is the union of two words: ateru (touch / reach / hit) and mi (body), one should consider that one is executing an atemi every time one touches a partner.[28] We thus find the idea that the essential art of the technique is considered an atemi.

http://www.guillaumeerard.com/aikido/ar ... -in-aikido

【 In contrast, a budoka will have more difficulty perceiving these signs, especially since strength and athleticism can often cover these up for a long time while getting the practitioner relatively far.】

Sometimes speed.
This, however does not mean athleticism not important.
It is just sometimes we get false insurance of athleticism, until strength and speed not prevail.
Overlord

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 am

Watching this reminds me of one of those Lion vs. Sheep videos on Youtube :-[
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am

There's no reason why aikido tactics can't be effective in combat. IMO the reason he is a fish out of water in this situation is because there's no regular sparring. It's for street effectiveness not for sport is no excuse, not developing the skills derived from sparring makes any art less street effective.

Good friendly attitude shown by both though which is nice to see.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:12 pm

havent interacted much with aikidoest, with exception of a friend who helped teach a group in HI along with
2 local Japaneses instructors. Their occupation at that time was prison guards, they had a lot of inmate
contact 8-) .

They felt their training was pretty useful in their capacity as prison guards.
I used to call them moving rocks, as they where quite unmovable if they chose to be.

regarding the clip, its hard for me to accept that the instructor is actually a 4th dan.
the training in the club in HI, I saw was pretty rough at the time, if something didnt work
they where pretty quick to change and adapt....maybe from working in the prison
kinda gave them a different perspective.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Prison Aikido - now that's a style I could get behind.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Steven Seagal would break this wrestler guy's arm in 3 places (with a loud crack), then put him through the wall, the door, and the window, then break his leg with an Aikido baseball bat, and then shoot him with an Aikido pistol.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Kettlebells4U on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Kettlebells4U
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

SNIP
Watching this reminds me of one of those Lion vs. Sheep videos on Youtube
SNIP

Hold it. There are videos of sheep inviting lions to visit their flocks, then challenging them to a rassle? Linky, please.

SNIP
SNIP

Ouch. A very solid point that is a sad critique of the state of most TMA today.

And snort, guffaw and chuckle at Dmitri.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Alexatron on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 am

emptycloud wrote:
This is a good point. Training hard into old age.

I try to reach my physical limit each day. Its not an easy practice. To do it in such away that avoids damage to the body or depression upon the mind.

I cycle two hours a day, work a manual job outside as a food grower, have two aikido classes a week, no car, and train at home casually... and at nearly 50yrs old ....its not easy... I try to make my work my training ground, lifting, digging, swinging axes, and other tools use.

anyone got any top tips for training as we age or is it just, no pain - no gain.

Rich

Nearly 50? Wait to you hit the other side of 50 - it's all down hill from there :-)

Leading up to 50 I tried reaching my physical limit every day as well but noticed rather than getting fitter or even maintaining my existing fitness level I started feeling depleted. Recovery times are longer as you get older and training every day had an accumulative debilitating affect. I started getting nagging injuries and sore joints. Now I pace myself, allow enough recovery time between workouts, mix up my training with more variety e.g. Taiiji one day, Bagua the next, bag work the next etc. Having said all that since getting into the internal martial arts I've found my recovery times are improving.

It's interesting you mention depression on the mind - I think a key component is enjoying your training as much as possible. If its a drudge then I fail to see how its going to be good for you in a holistic sense. This is one of the reasons I have tried several styles over the years. When I stopped enjoying a style as I changed through getting older I simply found another style that better suited that point in my life. I realize that goes against some peoples philosophy but its worked for me.

Certainly sounds like you live a very physically demanding lifestyle.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links