BKB Boxing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

BKB Boxing

Postby allen2saint on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Anyone watch this? I saw the prelim fights last night.

The idea is that it's a fight in a "pit" which is smaller, circular and has no ropes. Two minute rounds which supposedly minimizes uneccesary strategies and tactics. This thing is being marketed as a "more exciting" version and even an "evolution" of boxing. The BK stands for "Big Knockouts" and I think is being set up to compete with MMA.

I don't think I hid my opinion very well...sorry. I tried.

Here was the "main event" from last night with uh...middling boxers Rosado and Vera.

Anyway...thoughts?
Last edited by allen2saint on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Re: BKB Boxing

Postby Dajenarit on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:48 pm

You want to make boxing exciting again? Then make the gloves smaller and allow a real clinch game and allow real body snatching tactics. Allow guys to really wrestle, push and pull within reason for superior position and to create striking opportunities, maybe even allow some greco throws like in the old old school prizefighting days (pipe dream that, that is). As it is now with the rules most boxers are content to mindlessly headhunt, that is when they're not being chased or chasing someone around the ring. The clinch is boxing has been neutered into uselessness. Thats half the fight and all it means is a timewaster for the crowd, a cheap breather for the boxer getting wailed on and a break in the action for everyone involved. Other than that you pretty much force the fighter with the weaker punching power to dance around the ring and hope and pray for a counterpunch or the other fighter to get tired, in order to change the tone of the match. And of course clinch for a meaningless fight killing stoppage and reset...

I think the last thing boxing needs is more brain damage.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Phil mcilwane an ex Aussie boxer is putting together a new format
Basically mma but groundings are treated like clinches in normal boxing
You are allowed to take your opponent to the ground but if you don't finish it then and there you are stood back up
The idea being more mo,s
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby liokault on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:16 am

Dajenarit wrote:You want to make boxing exciting again? Then make the gloves smaller and allow a real clinch game and allow real body snatching tactics. Allow guys to really wrestle, push and pull within reason for superior position and to create striking opportunities, maybe even allow some greco throws like in the old old school prizefighting days (pipe dream that, that is). As it is now with the rules most boxers are content to mindlessly headhunt, that is when they're not being chased or chasing someone around the ring. The clinch is boxing has been neutered into uselessness. Thats half the fight and all it means is a timewaster for the crowd, a cheap breather for the boxer getting wailed on and a break in the action for everyone involved. Other than that you pretty much force the fighter with the weaker punching power to dance around the ring and hope and pray for a counterpunch or the other fighter to get tired, in order to change the tone of the match. And of course clinch for a meaningless fight killing stoppage and reset...

Isn't that just San shuo for people that can't kick?
liokault
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 am

wayne hansen wrote:Phil mcilwane an ex Aussie boxer is putting together a new format
Basically mma but groundings are treated like clinches in normal boxing
You are allowed to take your opponent to the ground but if you don't finish it then and there you are stood back up
The idea being more mo,s

Isn't that just pro Kuoshu for people that can't kick?

It's all been done before.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:04 am

Not sure how much it is like koushu
However kicking is allowed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:25 am

I actually think there are a lot of exciting things going on in boxing right now. There are a lot of skilled people who know how to go to the body and make a fight interesting. Even the heavy weight division has some good people coming up. Of course the promoters harm the sport,but I think with time that will change as well.

I prefer the tense chess matches to the beat downs myself. There's nothing worse than watching a match that looks like two drunk clowns trying to decide if they're going to fight or make out.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

liokault wrote:
Dajenarit wrote:You want to make boxing exciting again? Then make the gloves smaller and allow a real clinch game and allow real body snatching tactics. Allow guys to really wrestle, push and pull within reason for superior position and to create striking opportunities, maybe even allow some greco throws like in the old old school prizefighting days (pipe dream that, that is). As it is now with the rules most boxers are content to mindlessly headhunt, that is when they're not being chased or chasing someone around the ring. The clinch is boxing has been neutered into uselessness. Thats half the fight and all it means is a timewaster for the crowd, a cheap breather for the boxer getting wailed on and a break in the action for everyone involved. Other than that you pretty much force the fighter with the weaker punching power to dance around the ring and hope and pray for a counterpunch or the other fighter to get tired, in order to change the tone of the match. And of course clinch for a meaningless fight killing stoppage and reset...

Yea pretty much. Thats what boxing is though too.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 pm

SNIP
Thats what boxing is though too.
SNIP

Actually, it is the other way round. Modern sanda developed with very heavy input from the Olympic boxing program at Beijing Sports University.

Personally, I thing it is both too late and unnecessary to reinvent boxing. MMA is moving from strength to strength, and I suspect it is going to continue to gain prominence as the most watched combat sport, and also as the most influential form of MA training. It has come a huge distance in just a decade and a half - imagine how big it will be in another 20 years.

As the format which allows the widest variety of technique since (AFAIK) the pankration of the ancient Greeks, it is the perfect proving ground for both fighters and fighting styles and so is a stern enforcer of honesty and realism - albeit, with the proviso that it IS a sport, not a back-alley-street-fight-to-the-death (etc, etc).
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:20 am

Dajenarit wrote:
liokault wrote:

Yea pretty much. Thats what boxing is though too.

I think what you're looking for is a return to bare-knuckle boxing.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby chud on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 am

allen2saint wrote:I actually think there are a lot of exciting things going on in boxing right now. There are a lot of skilled people who know how to go to the body and make a fight interesting. Even the heavy weight division has some good people coming up. Of course the promoters harm the sport,but I think with time that will change as well.

I prefer the tense chess matches to the beat downs myself. There's nothing worse than watching a match that looks like two drunk clowns trying to decide if they're going to fight or make out.

+1
I prefer a boxing match between two highly technical fighters over a "brawl".
chud
Great Old One

Return to Video Links