Striking with The Same Limb - Advantages and Disadvantages

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Striking with The Same Limb - Advantages and Disadvantages

Postby MartialArts808.com on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:02 pm

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Blocking and Striking with The Same Limb for Martial Arts and Self-Defense Practitioners

Blocking and striking with the same leg or arm? What happened to the other weapons we carry as part of our bodies everyday? I have to tell you though I've had some good success with this method of counter-attack, but it does have it's disadvantages as well....

http://martialarts808.com/Ninjas/index. ... html#msg14
Last edited by MartialArts808.com on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When Bullies Attack - What does your child do when everything we've heard about dealing with a bully doesn't work? Affiliate Program Now Available http://martialarts808.com/Bullying/
MartialArts808.com
Santi

Re: Striking with The Same Limb - Advantages and Disadvantages

Postby GaryR on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:36 pm

MartialArts808.com wrote:The Advantages and Disadvantages of Blocking and Striking with The Same Limb for Martial Arts and Self-Defense Practitioners

Blocking and striking with the same leg or arm? What happened to the other weapons we carry as part of our bodies everyday? I have to tell you though I've had some good success with this method of counter-attack, but it does have it's disadvantages as well....

http://martialarts808.com/Ninjas/index. ... html#msg14

Are you meaning to start this discussion here or simply direct some traffic to your ad-ridden forum for adsense revenue ? :-\
GaryR

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:06 am

Yeah, I have to agree. I think it was okay the first time, but if you want to discuss something, discuss it here. RSF has a very highly rated site on clicks and time spent on site, all of which makes it potentially worthwhile for advertisers, and yet it is not. For a reason I might add. I understand you are unemployed, but so am I. I understand you have kids, but so do I. I understand you are trying to be proactive, but so am I. The difference in the last one is that I am starting an actual business, on my own with real revenue potential, and not trying to leech off of another person's for the purpose of generating a minimum level of revenue.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 am

I think this is an interesting topic.

A few months ago I noticed that I have trouble blocking with my left hand and I was relying too much on right to block and strike with. To remedy this I sparred for about a month only allowing myself to use my left hand.

A lot of people get used to the alternating hands coming at them or going out too and I think its good to switch it up and not just attack with the same hand you blocked with but also to throw multiple strikes in a row with the same hand.
Last edited by DeusTrismegistus on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 am

Fair question. Many Taiji skills focus on folding - IOW, attacking with the same limb, or at least, the same side. One of my favored combinations are elbow (either as a strike or an arm clearance) to to backhand/back forearm to palm; or point of elbow to eyebrow mop. These both come off the front side.

That having been said, a decent fighting stance is one in which all four limbs can be brought to bear.

In point karate days, many peeps fought from a side-on stance from which they can fire front hand punches and front-side side kick, but as these are not, generally speaking, KO weapons these stances are not seen in full-contact arenas (boxing, MT, karate knockdown, MMA, etc). You need all limbs to attack in combinations, and the rear side is the power side. If fighting side-on, it takes too long to fire the rear side weapons.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:12 am

Agreed, Deus. Cycling with a repeated same-hand strike, or flowing to different strikes with the same hand is not only good training, sometimes it may be all you are capable of in defending yourself in real assaults. You may find yourself with your other arm injured, or restrained, or having to hold on to a child, or carrying something when first attacked, or simply in such tight confines that the other limb is not available. However inconvenient, such things do happen in reality. That's why it's also vitally important that you engage in such practice with both hands, since you may never know which hand will be the only one available at the time.
Chris McKinley

Postby yusuf on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:23 am

hi

if the first reaction is to turn then which ever hand is closest will deflect or destroy.. teh follow up hit is based on whichever hand can then get through ...

an interesting Krav Maga Drill is to spar and whatevr part of you gets hit has to be neutral in any further movements.. so if your arm gets hit you can only use the other one, if you get poked in teh eye then fight on with one eye.. three minutes of this and you begin to appreciate inherent weaknesses which can be worked in in normal practice..

peace

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:30 am

yusuf,

Good mention...I do that kind of drill as a regular part of weapons and empty vs. weapons training. Humbles the crap out of even the baddest mofos the first few times.
Chris McKinley

Postby MartialArts808.com on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm

One sparring drill is to limit your weapons or defenses

Same side only
Right hand left leg
Left hand right leg
Even single limb
No blocking just evading

Whatever one needs work on. One nice thing about limiting your weapons or defenses is you force yourself to think of different combinations other then your "favorites"

Rick
When Bullies Attack - What does your child do when everything we've heard about dealing with a bully doesn't work? Affiliate Program Now Available http://martialarts808.com/Bullying/
MartialArts808.com
Santi

Postby johnwang on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:49 pm

The prey mantis system uses a lot of deflect and strike with the same limb. A combing hair will follow by a palm strike, a mantis hook will follow by a strike with the back of the palm. IMO, the advantage is you can achieve lighting speed. The disadvantage is it's too easy to be deflected by your opponent's back arm combing hair.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 pm

practicing folding and issuing is good. but it's good to practice folding and issuing on the way out, too, and not just on the way in.
johnrieber

Postby gosao on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Attacking with one is all you need! ;D

gosao
Huajing

Postby MartialArts808.com on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Little old man has some spunk. Anyone know what they're saying?

Rick
MartialArts808.com
Santi

Postby gosao on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:09 am

^^young guy complains along the whole ride about no AC in the bus and being damned hot.

old guy says stfu already we're all hot in here, stops coming up.

young guy tries to open the window or something

old guy says sit the hell down or i'll kick yo ass

young guy starts getting pushy.

old guy goes yip man on him
gosao
Huajing

Postby Void on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 am

gosao wrote:old guy goes yip man on him

LOL :)
Void
Huajing