Late Night Practice

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Late Night Practice

Postby cgtomash on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 am

Just got back not too long ago from a nice 1 hour practice outside starting just after 11:00 pm. Did two yang long forms, saber and sword two times each. I enjoy practising outside late at night, midnight, 1:00 am. I find it very peaceful late at night, much of the city home in bed. Definitely a different sense of energy or spirit when practising late at night to early morning. Anybody else like to practice outside late at night? Do you think there are benefits that you can get practising your forms late at night vs during the day?
cgtomash
Great Old One

Re: Late Night Practice

Postby yusuf on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 am

I find it the best time to practice. .. especially in the park...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:36 am

I like to practice outside around 10:30 to 11. Theres less bugs out.
Last edited by Ben on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 am

yes the weather seems better, things are quieter.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bruce on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 am

late night in parking lots and parks around the world is where i get most of my practice.
i find my body and mind are more relaxed at night and have probably made most of my progress at night.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:09 am

I sometimes practice late at night to challenge my limitations (the biggest of which is that I start getting sleepy at 9pm, regardless of how much sleep I got the night before). It definitely helps to increase my awareness and is about as helpful in increasing my skills as is daytime training, but does nothing to change my internal clock. As soon as I'm done and take a shower, I'm out cold!
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 am

most altercations happen in the dark. it's good to train in low light conditions.

we train out in the dark most of the time, mostly because we're too cheap to rent a hall. working on wet surfaces and around obstacles makes things more interesting.

IMO if you want peaceful you should drink some tea and read a book :)
Ian

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 am

xxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 am

there are a few reasons why i dont train late at night. mainly because I train early before work at the MMA school 7am either taiji/pakua, boxing or Muay thai and after work either BJJ, circuits, and more boxing or muay thai..... by 11 o'clock i am winding down to sleep.

other reasons: air isn't as fresh at night than it is in the morning, training late at night makes the body to 'Yang' and can make it harder to fall asleep, (the body's natural energy rhythm begins to start closing and settling towards a 'yin' state after sunset) people who are insomniacs have fu*ked with their natural rhythm into a yang state at night.

but all in all- to each his own. :)
neijia_boxer

Postby Dr.Rob on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:42 am

hahahha We use to say " you practise midnight kung fu" meant having sex...hhaaha :'( Yes sad to say I practise midnight kung fu...its when the kids are asleep, my wife is zzzzing and the phone never rings.

My Sifu's having always encouraged late night practise aswell. They feel its the best time to only focus on your forms cause its unlikely anybody will be watching to steal your forms....hear that Mr.John Wang you will have to stay up late to get my Cha Chuan....hahaha. For some reason I really don't think he cares.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 pm

neijia_boxer wrote: training late at night makes the body to 'Yang' and can make it harder to fall asleep, (the body's natural energy rhythm begins to start closing and settling towards a 'yin' state after sunset) people who are insomniacs have fu*ked with their natural rhythm into a yang state at night.

definitely true for me, but it's a chicken and egg situation. i think i screwed up my natural biorhythm to be a night owl long ago already. so i have good energy for training at night, but then that reinforces the problem. d'oh! the thought of training at 5 a.m. boggles my mind. don't know how you early birds can stand that.

Peacedog wrote:Traditionally speaking, 11pm to 1 am, 4am to 6 am (pre-dawn to dawn), and 6-8pm (pre-dusk to nightfall) were all considered the best times to train.

when the heck did people sleep?
Last edited by everything on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm

After wife and kid went to bed I got to train from 10-11 last night. I only train at night because there is no other time, no other options! I wish I had the luxury of making choices about this. Night time is ok though, I like the cool and the quiet and the occasional gunblast/ screaming argument. But it's not a good time for a great workout, just a mellow practice session.

J
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm

JessOBrien wrote:After wife and kid went to bed I got to train from 10-11 last night. I only train at night because there is no other time, no other options! I wish I had the luxury of making choices about this. Night time is ok though, I like the cool and the quiet and the occasional gunblast/ screaming argument. But it's not a good time for a great workout, just a mellow practice session.

J

Man, you stole my life!!!!

Sometimes, if I'm feeling froggy, I'll get up at 5 and train before work. Early mornings work out well for the same reason. But after everyone is asleep is usually the only chance I get.
Last edited by Ralteria on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby RickMatz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:31 pm

At night, basically after 10 pm, has been the most convenient time for me to practice consistently. It's not a problem to stay up a little later if need be.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby cgtomash on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:39 pm

On a related note, I find that when I'm training consistently, that I need less sleep and that I sleep better. So when practicing late night formwork, falling asleep later is not a problem as even if I don't get to sleep right after, I still fell rested the next day.
Last edited by cgtomash on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgtomash
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan