Bagua Dao Choices

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bagua Dao Choices

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two bagua daos? If so, which would you choose, if any, as a purchase?
I am interested in one of these mainly for use in basic jiben gong training in bagua.

Thanks.

http://www.wle.com/store/baguaBroadswords.html

Combat-style Bagua Broadsword

Comes with a soft carrying case, this sword has a flexible spring steel blade, with a ridge on the top to help make the sword strong and light. The guard is an octagonal shape, with a traditional 8-diagram design on the top of the guard. The end ring is heavy-duty forgers steel, and is connected to a black lacquer handle.
40” blade; 16” handle; 5 lbs blade.
Availability: Usually ships the next business day.
Stock#: WGL137
Price: $195.00

Tell your friend about this product or WLE.com!

Premium Bagua Broadsword

From the best maker of Long Chaun, with a flexible spring steel blade, a solid wood scabbard, one side caved with a dragon design, one side carved with the Chinese characters of the maker. The handle is wrapped in black leather. A well balanced sword, the blade measures 40” long and has a 16” handle, and weighs in at 5 lbs without scabbard (9 lbs with scabbard). Availability: Usually ships the next business day.
Stock#: WGL135
Price: $179.00

Tell your friend about this product or WLE.com!

Re: Bagua Dao Choices

Postby Dr.Rob on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Go with the Combat one. I have snapped the handle on most of mine. The Premium one sells well in my store but it forever needs to be tweeked and retighened. To the point you will need to put a wing nut on the end.

If you have any issues with it I can show you how I got a guy to fix my last one. Simple fix but excellent weight to it now.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:10 pm

I'd see if you can get your hands on the one He Jin Bao made.
Chris Fleming

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Chris:

I've been looking for the one's by He Jin Bao but I have been told they are not available.

Hey, Dr. Rob, I may take you up on that---My teacher has an "old horse cutter's dao" and a lot of people won't believe this but there are some great jiben gong exercises that help in the practice of the double edge sword.

I am not going to make a decision for a couple of months or so.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:02 pm

I know a guy who has that combat style one and it's so light that IMO it's useless for the basics. I made one out of 1/2 inch plywood that was heavier and more useful but still way to light. Something more like a 5-8 pound clubbell type of implement would be closer to the actual feel.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Bob wrote:Chris:

I've been looking for the one's by He Jin Bao but I have been told they are not available.

Yes, traditionalstudies.org stopped selling them, but they suggested that people wanting one of those try contacting He Jin Bao himself. I believe his email is on his website. Don't know if he still has any, but it's worth a try. Having one myself, I can say that while it isn't "combat" grade, it has the size and weight that a lot of people who use this kind of sword want. I can't find anything else that comes close to the size and weight without doing something like a custom job.
Chris Fleming

Postby meeks on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:46 am

if you're looking for a good sword, test them out. stand outside the store looking in, and have the guy smack it against the counter with a couple of good hard wacks. the one that doesn't snap and send a piece of steel flying across the room (good thing you were outside) is the one to buy.

remember that video of the shopping network guy getting messed up by the katana that broke when he did that? I think he removed his own appendix...

A good sword is one that you trust.

I get weirded out when I read 'flexible steel' - makes me think of those wobbly jian people use in taiji "because a real taiji jian is sharpened with my qi" *vomits just hearing that from one of the dudes posting his stupid master tricks on youtube*
I remember this same guy telling his students a good taiji sword should be so flexible, that you should be able to bend it so the tip of it blade touchs the handle. those were only created for the run-run-run-jump-kick-smack-your-hands-and-pose wushu guys in silk jammie-jams so it would sound cool when the sword made a whip crack sound.

unfortunately his wushu coach (who, btw, changed his own 'history' in one of his books to make himself sound more badass - I now refer to him as a complete fraud - and he's one of the most popular wushu guys in Vancouver) had him believing this tripe.
Last edited by meeks on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Dr.Rob on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:51 am

Bob

I will take some shots of the beauty today...its sunny for a change and fire those off to ya...

Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Sorry, the stuff I see on this site, I have held in my hands too often. No real blades, I don't believe in Yongquan anymore, since I have been there. I see no use with such stuff for training, not to talk of functionality.

The best I had in hands is still the big version baguadao from cold steel, a bit pricy, a bit heavy, but really good for training and sturdy enough for true function.

Sorry, can't find it anymore on their site, but still available here in Taiwan. Have a look, there is also a slightly smaller version.
http://www.ss-knife.com.tw/prod_deta.asp?TypeID=cold_51
Last edited by taiwandeutscher on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Dr.Rob on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Holy Crap That's a knife...If I had that I would stop using harsh language...

Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Just saw this clip. Guy going buck wild with the dao!

Chris Fleming

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan