Yuan Tao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yuan Tao

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm

today i am worthless at work. I want to talk about the xingyi master Yuan Tao.

my teacher learned from him in Taiwan in the 60s. He said the guy was a General who was essentially stationed in his walled off courtyard from which he rarely/never left. He would do forms and fence all day long.

You can see in RW Smith's book that he was Fujian province champion. My teacher said the guy threw these quick flurries of punches that would raise welts on your head like in a cartoon.

Did much of his lineage get over here? I hear he had a xingyi sword form that uses the scabbard. i'd love to see that.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Re: Yuan Tao

Postby Cryptohominid on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

My teacher, Allen Pittman, learned a series of "free fighting" techniques that were Yuan Dao's. We did them occasionally, but at the moment I don't think I could remember all of them. They were simple and practical, good stuff. I don't recall if he knew anything else from Yuan's lineage, or if he learned these in Taiwan or from Mr. Smith. He could probably point you in the right direction.

Dave
Cryptohominid
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan