Yang Zhifang - One of Kuo Lienying's students

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yang Zhifang - One of Kuo Lienying's students

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:34 am

I never got to experience Master Kuo's skill first hand (some would say I am lucky), but I did meet some of his older students in Taipei and later in the U.S. One of them, Yang Zhifang (Chihfang Yang) had a studio on East Broadway in Chinatown N.Y. in the early 1980's. I went to visit - Mr. yang was shorter than me and slightly built, but wiry and muscular. He must have been in his 50's at the time. I was very impressed by how he moved - and all of his techniques had a quality that the Chinese call "hen" - something I associate with very good Shaolin and Tongbei. Its a quality at the end of a movement as if striking through with intent to do damage (the physical end of "take that!"), like throwing a knife into hard ground. His Taiji and Bagua were very quick and crisp, and they did a version of Tantui that was just a pleasure to watch - quick, powerful, solid. They started beginners with a version of Ba Duanjin that was very effective at building basic body posture and movement - all in all very impressive. What impressed me too was that the quality of teaching took root in his students - I saw several, and they all had good foundations and movement, and knew what they were doing. This was the first American school I had been in where the Taiji students had real martial skills - they could use the techniques of the system (rather than kick box).

Not a year after the school had opened, it was closed by a suspicious fire - apparently Master Yang was not wanted by some members of the "community" (I suspect he refused to pay protection, which was rampant at that time).
Last edited by kenneth fish on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Re: Yang Zhifang - One of Kuo Lienying's students

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:58 am

Is this the same Master Kuo? I have always been impressed with this kung fu
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Yes - the teacher mentioned in the CMC thread. The other student of Kuo whom I have experience with is Y.C. Wong - not many people know just how good his Taiji is - its very very good.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Nice find, Tom

Kuo doing Cha Chuan is sweet: http://kuo-lien-ying-taichi.org/KuoChaChuan.html

Not flashy, but all of his movement and postures are so tooled and crisp and powerful looking. Like a machine.

Love it.

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 pm

kenneth fish wrote:I never got to experience Master Kuo's skill first hand (some would say I am lucky), but I did meet some of his older students in Taipei and later in the U.S. One of them, Yang Zhifang (Chihfang Yang) had a studio on East Broadway in Chinatown N.Y. in the early 1980's. I went to visit - Mr. yang was shorter than me and slightly built, but wiry and muscular. He must have been in his 50's at the time. I was very impressed by how he moved - and all of his techniques had a quality that the Chinese call "hen" - something I associate with very good Shaolin and Tongbei. Its a quality at the end of a movement as if striking through with intent to do damage (the physical end of "take that!"), like throwing a knife into hard ground. His Taiji and Bagua were very quick and crisp, and they did a version of Tantui that was just a pleasure to watch - quick, powerful, solid. They started beginners with a version of Ba Duanjin that was very effective at building basic body posture and movement - all in all very impressive. What impressed me too was that the quality of teaching took root in his students - I saw several, and they all had good foundations and movement, and knew what they were doing. This was the first American school I had been in where the Taiji students had real martial skills - they could use the techniques of the system (rather than kick box).

Not a year after the school had opened, it was closed by a suspicious fire - apparently Master Yang was not wanted by some members of the "community" (I suspect he refused to pay protection, which was rampant at that time).

Dr. Fish,
anz students of Master Kuo left in Taiwan?
Would love to learn a bit, in addition to my ZMQ nad otehr stuff.
Grets
Dr. Bohn
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm

kenneth fish wrote:I never got to experience Master Kuo's skill first hand (some would say I am lucky), but I did meet some of his older students in Taipei and later in the U.S. One of them, Yang Zhifang (Chihfang Yang) had a studio on East Broadway in Chinatown N.Y. in the early 1980's. I went to visit - Mr. yang was shorter than me and slightly built, but wiry and muscular. He must have been in his 50's at the time. I was very impressed by how he moved - and all of his techniques had a quality that the Chinese call "hen" - something I associate with very good Shaolin and Tongbei. Its a quality at the end of a movement as if striking through with intent to do damage (the physical end of "take that!"), like throwing a knife into hard ground. His Taiji and Bagua were very quick and crisp, and they did a version of Tantui that was just a pleasure to watch - quick, powerful, solid. They started beginners with a version of Ba Duanjin that was very effective at building basic body posture and movement - all in all very impressive. What impressed me too was that the quality of teaching took root in his students - I saw several, and they all had good foundations and movement, and knew what they were doing. This was the first American school I had been in where the Taiji students had real martial skills - they could use the techniques of the system (rather than kick box).

Dr. Fish,
any students/schools of Master Kuo left in Taiwan?
Would love te feel their goods, even learn, in addition to my ZMQ background and other stuff.
Dr. Bohn
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 am

I could not say - I will know more when I return to Taiwan in the fall. As for feeling their goods - I should let you know that in American English that might have some connotations that you did not intend.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 am

ROFL
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Hehehe! Feelin the goods...hehe.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan