Running with a Heavy Pack

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Running with a Heavy Pack

Postby RobP2 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 am

wiesiek wrote:.

Rob2 -
something was wrong wit you TJ approch, or not quite competent teacher?
TJ is famous from its healing propertys
so double check what do you learn and who is teaching

The approach was a family style rather than the more mainstream health style. Part of that approach was extremely low form postures. I think maybe if you started at a young age, as a couple of my teachers did, it would be ok, but to start in your late 20s/early 30s is maybe not so good
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 am

Also, one dirty little secret of Taiji is that it is almost just as famous for messing people up as for healing them. As with any exercise program, the key is the teacher.

Just because a teacher had no problems with his training method does not mean you won't. In the case of Rob's teacher, maybe, like he said, if you start at a young age but maybe also if the method was modified a bit to accommodate the differing situations of the different students. I would not even say that the teacher was perhaps "not quite competent" but would qualify even more to say that we was just not quite competent enough to know how to adjust for the knee problems that Rob developed.

The ability to tailor a program properly is a different skill from even the ability to train champions. I would not send my aging mother to the same martial arts instructor that I would send my 19 year old nephew who got into his favorite college partly based on his high school wrestling accomplishments. (just partly. Good grades helped too.) For my mom I would place a far higher value on the instructors ability to tailor and his knowledge of modern kineseology and so on. For my nephew I would place more value on the instructors ability to really drive and inspire the students to strive for high skill and great athleticism.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:13 am

Omar (bailewen) wrote:He is probably the most fit person on this entire board.

Definitely gave me the impression of having lots of energy when we met and he Systema'd me to death. ;D
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 am

Michael wrote:BTW, Doc, when I was in boot camp in '86, there was no running with heavy packs. The damn vaccinations they gave us in the first two weeks screwed most of us up far too much for such antics and the boots we had could not handle such stress. Our equipment was so bad I thought it was given to us as a kind of hazing or joke just to screw with us. At the end of boot camp when they failed to issue the "real" equipment, I was quite disappointed.

Michael:

Ai-ye....yau mo gau cho aah! :-\

Sounds like the Corps wasn't what it used to be. :(

Doc Stier
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:23 am

If you see these guys coming (and you won't), just surrender. ;D

These are jtf2 out of Canada doing what they do best...which is ninja killing someone.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:37 am

I'll vouch for Canadia having some top flight ninjas. Their approach to SpecOps always kinda struck me as, "Okay, we've only got 30 people in our entire army, so let's spend our whole military budget on training them." Squared away guys, although the Aussies still claim to be able to out-party them. ;)
Chris McKinley

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 am

Our seamen are good too.

bwahahahahaha.

seriously.

"Drunken Body Armour!" lol

and some of the femmes is teh deadly as well. ;D

Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby dtactics on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 am

RobP2 wrote:Lol, I've spoken to Vladimir many times about this so am quite aware of that thanks - but he doesn't advocate working in extremely low stances for form work, which I think is where my trouble stemmed from.

Sorry if I was unclear. To my knowledge, Vlad doesn't advocate any forms/Taiji work. The point came up when my student couldn't do the deep low/straight back squats b/c of a pre-existing knee condition. He told him to go down as far as appropriate (without feeling sorry for himself nor causing any injury) and to be sure to move very slowly while exhaling all the tension and fear (of damage). He explained that moving slowly conditions and activates the tendons and ligaments thereby allowing the body to adjust as necessary. Heavy/erratic/ballistic movements doesn't allow the body to re-program and re-adjust itself in an efficient manner.

I saw him fix a guy's knees in NYC with his unique methodology (search Marc Jacabsin on the RMA website). Vlad knows stuff about the human body few know exists. Perhaps it's due to all the broken bones he's endured yet has found a way to heal himself back to move like water. MR is also a legendary healer and Vlad admits he's nothing compared to him. A truly rustrating thought.
Last edited by dtactics on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtactics
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan