The Old Man

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Old Man

Postby H2O on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:03 pm

I posted a video of Dr. Tao's student, Nathan, on the other thread. I guess I'll post it here too. Good example of what Dr. Tao taught.

H2O
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:21 pm

johnwang wrote:Everytime when a new PH clip comes up, I'll always repeat my favor questions.

- If PH is just "basic training method" for beginners then why someone still does it when he gets old?
- How hard can it be to push someone away if he has no intention to fight you back?
- Do you think he knows how to use his leg?

Those are general questions and can apply to anybody.

If "advanced" is mainly mastery of basics, that is one reason to always do basics.

What do you think of uproot/break posture/kuzushi/become dominant center/offbalance from a SC point of view?

I also have the same question about the leg. From a judo pov, kuzushi can come before the leg, can be at the same time.
Last edited by everything on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:08 pm

everything wrote:If "advanced" is mainly mastery of basics, that is one reason to always do basics.

1 + 2 = 3 is basic and E = MC**2 is advance. The advance is built on top of the basic but not the other way around.

In the beginner stage, you enter

- golden glove boxing to develop your punching skill.
- TKD tournament to develop your kicking skill.
- push hands tournament to develop your Tinjin skill.
- Judo/SC tournament to develop your throwing skill.

In the advance stage, you enter Sanshou/Sanda/MMA tournament to develop your integration skill.

everything wrote:What do you think of uproot/break posture/kuzushi/become dominant center/offbalance from a SC point of view?

I used to believe that off balance is the end of the fight. You throw your opponent down, your job is done, mission accomplished. It took me a long time to understand that off balance is just part of the combat skill. Using "sport" environment to develop your skill is good for the beginner stage but not good enough for the advance stage. IMO, the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, follow on strike (or ground game) should be the highest level of CMA achievement.

I have no problem to see a 20 or 30 years old to go to SC tournaments all the time. I do have a little problem to see a 80 years old who think SC tournament is all he needs in his life time CMA training. This is why any ACSCA member cannot even obtain his 1st degree black belt if he cannot integrate his kick, punch, lock, follow on strike along with his throwing skill. Any ACSCA member cannot obtain his 2nd degree black belt if he does not compete in any Sanshou/Sanda tournaments and obtain at least 1st or 2nd place.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:24 pm

thanks. if it is fun, maybe that's good enough reason. i do not plan to enter sanshou/sanda/mma tournaments, and even if it's just practicing in this way, when i'm older i'm not sure how often i want to kick, punch, lock, throw. i am thinking golf will seem more and more attractive.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:If "advanced" is mainly mastery of basics, that is one reason to always do basics.

1 + 2 = 3 is basic and E = MC**2 is advance. The advance is built on top of the basic but not the other way around.

In the beginner stage, you enter

- golden glove boxing to develop your punching skill.
- TKD tournament to develop your kicking skill.
- push hands tournament to develop your Tinjin skill.
- Judo/SC tournament to develop your throwing skill.

In the advance stage, you enter Sanshou/Sanda/MMA tournament to develop your integration skill.

everything wrote:What do you think of uproot/break posture/kuzushi/become dominant center/offbalance from a SC point of view?

I used to believe that off balance is the end of the fight. You throw your opponent down, your job is done, mission accomplished. It took me a long time to understand that off balance is just part of the combat skill. Using "sport" environment to develop your skill is good for the beginner stage but not good enough for the advance stage. IMO, the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, follow on strike (or ground game) should be the highest level of CMA achievement.

I have no problem to see a 20 or 30 years old to go to SC tournaments all the time. I do have a little problem to see a 80 years old who think SC tournament is all he needs in his life time CMA training. This is why any ACSCA member cannot even obtain his 1st degree black belt if he cannot integrate his kick, punch, lock, follow on strike along with his throwing skill. Any ACSCA member cannot obtain his 2nd degree black belt if he does not compete in any Sanshou/Sanda tournaments and obtain at least 1st or 2nd place.

everything wrote:thanks. if it is fun, maybe that's good enough reason. i do not plan to enter sanshou/sanda/mma tournaments, and even if it's just practicing in this way, when i'm older i'm not sure how often i want to kick, punch, lock, throw. i am thinking golf will seem more and more attractive.

i think the other reason is not just off-balance, etc., but if techniques are expressions of shen fa, it's useful to work on the basics and the essence. to be more abstract, it seems taijiquan tries to have taiji emerge from wuji, yin from yang, etc. it is fun to work on that in a slightly free play way.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan