What does ice do for injuries?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What does ice do for injuries?

Postby RobP2 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

dtactics wrote:Chris,

What's your view on ice dowsing? We practice that in Systema and I'm not totally comfortable with the idea. I know of students going out in dangerously low temps dowsing with a bucket to prove their manhood. The cons seem obvious.

Freezing water in freezing conditions will do nothing for your manhood.

OTOH I've only ever gotten benefits from it
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby dtactics on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:19 pm

RobP2 wrote:
dtactics wrote:Chris,

What's your view on ice dowsing? We practice that in Systema and I'm not totally comfortable with the idea. I know of students going out in dangerously low temps dowsing with a bucket to prove their manhood. The cons seem obvious.

Freezing water in freezing conditions will do nothing for your manhood.

OTOH I've only ever gotten benefits from it

Exactly re. manhood.

Could you describe your benefits?

The only thing I've figured out was once inside you're relieved that the shivering has ended. It's like cutting yourself to learn that it feels best when you don't.
dtactics
Anjing

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:31 pm

The research isn't exactly exhaustive with regard to that specific practice, however, what is very well-researched, well-documented, and well-understood is the physiology of hypothermia. It is an undeniable risk with such practices, even with short-term exposure, and great care must be taken to both prevent and treat it. I cannot stress strongly enough that, before you engage in that kind of practice, especially without medical supervision present, you should get a complete physical with a liscensed physician, especially including an echocardiogram. That test will show certain dysfunctions and/or abnormalities which can put a person at risk of cardiac infarction when subjected to extreme changes in temperature.

After that, and with a flying color pass from the doc, it's up to you.
Chris McKinley

Postby dtactics on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks Chris. Too many so-called experts spreading its benefits with disregard for its potential of doing harm.

I'd tried it for two winters and it seemed to help a bit with my allergies (indoor mold, mildew, animal dander or placebo effect) but the risks made me cautious in advising it to all students.

I agree that medical supervision is vital prior to telling folks to engage in such questionable practices.
dtactics
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan