Good blog by military professional

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Good blog by military professional

Postby everything on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Interesting that he said the following. Sounds like he's talking about taijiquan form.
Fortunately, I have spent much time with some very good instructors this past year from several different practices. Mike Sigman, Toby Threadgill, Rigan Machado, Johnny Ramirez, Kazeka Muniz, and Minoro Aukuzawa. Now that is a diverse and eclectic group of individuals! Some are non-traditionalist, some are koryu, and a few of these guys are top BJJers.

One thing that was common among all of them was slowing things down and learning the basics very, very good. Some called what they do exercises, some drills, and some kata. However, there were common things among all of them.

Conditioning, proprioception, muscle memory, and posture are probably the most common things that were stressed. No of them said anything about speed, doing things faster, or harder. Most of it was about proper body dynamics, kinesiology, and being at the right place and the right time with the right response.

In all the methodologies we learned, it involved a cooperative practice or Kata.

I think why kata takes such a bad rap sometimes is that either instructors or students don’t understand the assimilation process and how to transition it to the next level of usability. Sometimes it is not so direct. I have been doing alot of reading on the Alexander Technique and how it works with our brain and body. Interesting stuff, which in my opinion, offers some good insights on how our brains work. It certainly explains why we would do kata and how kata works to “re-wire” our brain/body connection.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Since I train my material for exactly that kind of purpose, I'm definitely going to take a look. If he's pushing good information, I may invite him to join us here. It'd be nice to have another "dinosaur" voice up in hyeh.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:14 pm

strange, now who was it that said that traditional training methods dun work...
they do work... once one can quiet down that dang stupid, loud goo goo gaa gaa-ing, jumping up and down, monkey mind and let the traditional method work on you
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Ah ah ah....not quite, Skippy. It's not the traditional training methods that don't work, it's the bullshit posing as traditional training these days that doesn't work. Fighters always fought. It's the same yesterday, today or tomorrow.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 pm

how right you are, sir; and i'm sure you would be the one able to tell all the shit from shine.
Last edited by Strange on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 am

Yes I can....there's nothing at all special or difficult about doing so, and not because I've trained military/LEO's like the gentleman in question. Anyone with a few years of realistic training and testing of their material can tell you what at least has the potential for combat viability and what's a case of group self-delusion. Most of it's not even in the content of the material itself; it's in the way a given group of people are training it.

There are so few exceptions to this rule that you can confidently state it as axiomatic: people who only train solo and never train how to apply their material against a realistically resisting opponent can't fight, no matter what style they're training. It's that simple, and it doesn't take a particularly discerning eye to see it.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:07 am

absolutely outstanding! i'm so happy for you
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 am

Strange wrote:strange, now who was it that said that traditional training methods dun work...

Was it Bruce Lee?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 am

Strange,

Are you here exclusively to start shit with me, or do you actually have something to contribute to the thread? I'm open about my views on the topic, and I'll be happy to compare dicks on training military folks for teh r34lz, but that would be kinda boring as well as completely derailing the thread topic. Besides, I don't have any need to single you out for criticism just because you happen to disagree with me. It'd be nice if I could count on the same courtesy from you.

For the rest of the board,

I think it's interesting and admirable that the blogger appears to be keeping a balanced, open mind between the benefits of modern innovation in training and the benefits of artisanship that traditional methods can yield. Kinda reminds me of me in that regard. ;)

Does anyone here at RSF actually know Mr. Leavitt, or has anyone corresponded with him? It would be nice to get his views directly as a poster if we could invite him to join us.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:01 am

"One thing that was common among all of them was slowing things down and learning the basics very, very good."
this is what you when you really want to learn something.

i dunno, did bruce lee advocated slowing down? i am really not familiar with his material. maybe someone with better understand of his material can chime in. i was talking to my man chris mainly.
Last edited by Strange on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:47 am

Lord knows I certainly advocate slow training...with almost religious zeal. Regardless of what physical activity you're applying it to, it works remarkably well. Whether or not that's traditional depends on which tradition you are considering. Certain styles have made regular use of it for generations, though they couldn't tell you exactly why it works, and still other styles nearly completely eschew it. Ultimately, the question of its "traditional" status is irrelevant; what matters is does it work or not, whether it's ancient or brand new.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:07 pm

"Are you here exclusively to start shit with me, or do you actually have something to contribute to the thread?"

my mang, you may think just a tad too highly of yourself :) or as you say.... ah, ah ,ah skippy
yeah i contribute, check out The Cute thread; i post lots cute kitteh pics.
i like to take a look at them when my ass is all puckered up and i take myself too seriously;
i dunno maybe you can try that sometime, just a thought you know
see i try to contribute; but of course, everything is relative, seeing how you have everything dialled in and squared away like
my contribution might just appear real asinine, hollywood kungfu like.

well, i also try to walk backwards when i'm too serious. its called backpedalling.
its great fun; everyone just looks at you and goes like what the heck are you doing.
sometimes i laugh so hard i get tears in my eyes heh heh
its real furneh
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Funny that you're saying I think too highly of myself merely for having opinions that challenge the status quo to which you cling. I made no statement whatsoever that was even remotely flattering of myself, nor even referenced my own abilities in any way, before you decided to toss a little jab my way. All I had done was to suggest we might invite the man here to join us in discussion. If you can't hang with that, that's your problem.

Beyond that, all I asked for was the same courtesy I'm willing to show you. If that's also too tall an order, I guess I understand, but then I guess that's why you're having to do that backpedalling, now isn't it?
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:53 pm

well my mang, if you say so, it must be right!
i dun understand english and is flat fucking stupid, remember :D
i just clueless really :D

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:47 am

No, I don't remember, since that's not something I've ever said about you. I tend to choose my words carefully and I also tend to speak my mind, so if I'd ever meant to insult you, there wouldn't be any confusion about it. You appear interested in using sarcasm and insinuation that I've personally insulted you in order to keep trying to pick a fight with me rather than discuss any aspect of the thread topic. As it is, I'm not gonna bite. You see, at least yet, I don't really dislike you. You're acting a bit annoying, perhaps, but I really don't have an interest in spending time insulting you because of it. I'd rather just acknowledge that you and I don't agree about a given topic and simply move on.

I'd rather discuss the topic of the thread, frankly, which is why most of my conversation has been in that direction. Do you happen to have any specific views regarding training military personnel or how that might differ from training civilians, for instance?
Chris McKinley

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan