Courage

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Courage

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm

SNIP
To face your own shortcomings and be willing to change take much more courage than facing danger or physical violence.
SNIP

A VERY arguable assertion!

There are different types of courage: moral and physical.

Vassily Grossman recognixed that many Soviet commanders in WWII had tremendous physical courage on the battlefield, but no moral courage when it came to standing up to commisars or, (God forbid) Uncle Joe himself.

Ian, you might want to acquire Lord Moran's "The Anatomy of Courage."

I was recently discussing the issue of courage with the man who has the longest entry in the register of the George Cross - a man, furthermore, who Winston Churchill insisted take the facing page opposite his introduction to General Jackie Smythe's book on VC and GC heroes - and when I outlined Moran's basic theory (which he had never heard before) he agreed completely with it. 'Nuff said.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:15 pm

thanks Andy, I will check it out.
Ian

Postby Andy_S on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:44 am

Moran was discussing courage in battle. Personally, I think if you have mastered that context, then everything else, from there on in, is downhill.

At least, as it refers to physical courage....Grossman may differ.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 pm

on courage there is a good speech from Lusandros/Lysandros. (i don't realy know how to write hes name it in english...) He was a Spartan general in the peloponesos war. Try to search for it maybe a native english speaker can finde it on the net.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Andy_S wrote:There are different types of courage: moral and physical.

What I spoke about has nothing to do with moral.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Areios wrote:on courage there is a good speech from Lusandros/Lysandros. (i don't realy know how to write hes name it in english...) He was a Spartan general in the peloponesos war. Try to search for it maybe a native english speaker can finde it on the net.

In english he would be called Lysander.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Tom:

Courage Best is good, Courage Directors is better.

Sank a pint of London Pride in my (Seoul) local last night: First time I have ever had a decent UK beer in Korea. Long live free trade!
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:49 am

I stumbled serendipitously upon Courage bitters at a local brew pub and was pleased to find that they also make McEwan's IPA and Newcastle Brown Ale, both of which I like.
Chris McKinley

Postby Andy_S on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 am

Alas no, it was bottled. But still very decent.

I should add that the boozer in question ("Three Alleys Pub," Itaewon, Seoul) has:
Erdinger wheat
Guinness
Krombacher Pils
Krombacher Dunkel
Alley Kat IPA (an excellent, Cascade-hopped Canadian craft brew)
Hoegaarden
And several forgettable lagers
All on tap.

And although it is my local, I have never, ever had a ruck there either.

So...courage is not necessary....only an appetite for suds.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan