What type of body are you building?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What type of body are you building?

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:27 pm

qiphlow wrote:flexible and open

+1
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:57 pm

I was walking with my 6 months old 2 lbs 4 oz tea cup Yorkie yesterday.

http://images.google.com/images?sourcei ... 1&ct=title

A big dog ran toward my Yorkie. I grabbed my dog and pick her up over my head as fast as I could before that big dog could get her (one bite from any dog could kill her). Some guy on the other side of the street said to his friend, "Did you see that? I can't believe how fast that guy was moving." I'm very pleased to know that I can still move fast at my olde age.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:02 pm

I put in a lot of hard work and got the body that I thought I'd never get. The really hard part is maintaining it.

Juan
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Christ Juan, chill out on the training. Making some of us look bad here, sheesh.

What type of body I'm building? More or less one that is ''relaxed'' enough at all times that even when I slack a bit during the week, when I grapple or spar I don't gas or get too banged up. Mainly just one that can respond how I want it to when I need it to; nothing special, just does what I need it to and still sometimes surprises me from time to time.

I think the bigger question is how do we go about training to attain/maintain the type of body we want to build. Over time I'm sure most of us who think about these arts all throughout the day have a small set of things we just naturally do that lend to making our bodies have a baseline of ''skill'' or attributes that are desired. Even if they aren't during a set time to train, and just performed all day long at small moments, I think whatever you start to naturally play with when you aren't thinking about it is what your body might be starting to be 'molded' into (not sure if everyone does this, but a few people who have a true passion for arts based around the body I've met can't help but find themselves moving all throughout the day while talking, walking, etc. Even if it's just in ballet or something). Hopefully that rant made some sense towards what I was trying to convey.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:21 pm

the thing about conditioning or body building is that once you stop doing it, you may lose it.

we all have our limits, and also we do peak at certain age. and no matter what, after that we all go down hill.

--
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm

SPJ wrote:the thing about conditioning or body building is that once you stop doing it, you may lose it.

we all have our limits, and also we do peak at certain age. and no matter what, after that we all go down hill.

--

True enough, if conditioning muscles, etc. is the only means you use to build your body. If you focus on how you organize your body, however, and use it in the most efficient manner you are able, you can maintain and continue to improve far past the age when most people are well into decline.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Bhassler wrote:
SPJ wrote:the thing about conditioning or body building is that once you stop doing it, you may lose it.

--

True enough, if conditioning muscles, etc. is the only means you use to build your body. If you focus on how you organize your body, however, and use it in the most efficient manner you are able, you can maintain and continue to improve far past the age when most people are well into decline.

word.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I think a more pertinent question for us CMAists is whether we should look at body building from the same perspective as typical athletes? Are well-defined muscles, wash-board stomach, and big biceps conducive to our CMA training?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Areios on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 am

well, low bodyfat and strong muscles are not a bad thing in any way of life. So for CMA i think it's good too. Your body is your weapon, stregthen it as you can to get the max.
Areios
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 am

I'm trying to work on relaxation and integration at the moment. It's what I find hardest and so what I need to concentrate on. Also enough cardio that I don't get wiped out after playing for 2 minutes.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 am

What? No ground glass and rope around your fists? Pussy..

Juan wrote:I put in a lot of hard work and got the body that I thought I'd never get. The really hard part is maintaining it.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 am

Juan wrote:I put in a lot of hard work and got the body that I thought I'd never get. The really hard part is maintaining it.

It's a hard way to get that riped.
But in the other hand wtf is the girl doing there? :)
Areios
Wuji

Postby kreese on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am

Post a "before" pic, Juan, so we can appreciate where you started from.

I think Juan's condition is the side effect of lots of Muay Thai training, not bodybuilding.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 am

What type of body I'm building? Old. It takes time, but I'm getting there.

On a serious note, I guess the key criteria for me would be loose, connected and sensitive. Power used to be important but my priorities changed a bit lately...
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 am

What? No ground glass and rope around your fists? Pussy..

LMAO!

so is the girl in blue straight? if so, can she keep a secret? After all, I AM married....

*meeks, carries a chubby for all female MAs...*
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan