The fake strike becomes the real strike

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

The fake strike becomes the real strike

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:00 am

How do you train this?

As I understand it this pertains to feinting. If you feint and they react your feint is a feint. If you feint and they don't react then you should continue the strike. How do you train to do this? I was thinking about it yesterday I thought I would ask.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: The fake strike becomes the real strike

Postby SPJ on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:25 am

some general ideas.

1. left, right

2. high mid low: 3 levels.

3. fake hand moves to cover kicks.

4. drawing hands to set up for throws.

---

we practice several moves together.

--
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 am

as i understand it, all start as real strikes. when opponent touch/block/intercept the strike, you "give" the strike to them. then you change stroke or continue the same strike with the other hand, usually in different level or area.
for the opponent, it becomes a "damned if you do; damned if you dont" situation.

Shanghai Tiger Chu GuiTing is famous for this.
hope this helps, cheers
S.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 am

The way I am taught, it's not about feinting. It's about the interplay of Yin and Yang.

You initiate an attack (Yang) on the opponent. If he fails to block or tries to block but has weaker structure than yours, you simply issue power and blast through him because you are Yang and he is Yin.

If he blocks with superior structure and/or can neutralize/counter your initial effort, the Yang part that touches the opponent should immediately shift to Yin and becomes passive, receiving, and neutralizing. And as that Yang part shifts to Yin, another part that was Yin becomes Yang -- active, attacking, and aggressive -- to attack the opponent.

It can go on and on and on..........until one side is down.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 am

C.J.Wang wrote:The way I am taught, it's not about feinting. It's about the interplay of Yin and Yang.

You initiate an attack (Yang) on the opponent. If he fails to block or tries to block but has weaker structure than yours, you simply issue power and blast through him because you are Yang and he is Yin.

If he blocks with superior structure and/or can neutralize/counter your initial effort, the Yang part that touches the opponent should immediately shift to Yin and becomes passive, receiving, and neutralizing. And as that Yang part shifts to Yin, another part that was Yin becomes Yang -- active, attacking, and aggressive -- to attack the opponent.

Well said. This is very similar to my understanding of I Liq Chuan where there is also no feinting.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:54 am

Strange wrote:as i understand it, all start as real strikes. when opponent touch/block/intercept the strike, you "give" the strike to them. then you change stroke or continue the same strike with the other hand, usually in different level or area.
for the opponent, it becomes a "damned if you do; damned if you dont" situation.

My understanding of VT and the often heard "non-committed attacks" is that every strike should be intentional. If he doesn't intercept you hit him. If he intercepts then you either (a) go through, or (b) change/protect yourself from the intercepting hand and then go through.

I had the chance to play with a xibeiquan guy once, who showed me that fanzi had very interesting ways of drawing your attention using a strike in one direction (particularly up/down) to set up an opening for a strike in another direction. From what I remember, formwork is very helpful, but he also had a fair bit of dui da practice. In his sense, a feint is only a feint because it doesn't land, not because it has no power.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Josealb on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am

As a simple example...you feed him one thing...and you show him whats "coming" next...so he forgets what you fed him at the start, which changes and ends its original intention.

Think Paoquan. Top arm is the real one, but starts as "fake". Then acts as soon as the other guys intent goes to the original striking hand. Makes sense?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am

The moment that you move, the moment that your opponent will response. Form the initial response that his body moviement, you can pretty much tell what his intention will be. You can also judge whether his intention will cause any problem for you or not. If you move in fast, and your opponent responses fast, it will be very hard for him to fake his response. Those are the information that you can use to decide whether you should give 100% on your 1st strikung or change it into combo.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:13 am

well mostly if I do a fake attack and I see that he's not going to be able to defend, than I give him what I still can ge t out of it.
Areios
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Areios wrote:well mostly if I do a fake attack and I see that he's not going to be able to defend, than I give him what I still can ge t out of it.

A friend of mine met someone on internet. He told her that he loved her on their 1st date (I don't think he truly means it because he is a playboy). They end up marry any way.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:09 pm

dragontigerpalm wrote:
C.J.Wang wrote:The way I am taught, it's not about feinting. It's about the interplay of Yin and Yang.

Well said. This is very similar to my understanding of I Liq Chuan where there is also no feinting.

I thought this is what all IMA say. There is no obvious beginning and end of issuing force. I don't know what that means as far as feints. If someone perceives your bridging move as a feint and it trips them up, is it a feint if you had no feinting intention?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Areios on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:11 am

johnwang wrote:
Areios wrote:well mostly if I do a fake attack and I see that he's not going to be able to defend, than I give him what I still can ge t out of it.

A friend of mine met someone on internet. He told her that he loved her on their 1st date (I don't think he truly means it because he is a playboy). They end up marry any way.

:)
Areios
Wuji

Postby EightExtremesBoxer on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:43 am

everything wrote:I thought this is what all IMA say. There is no obvious beginning and end of issuing force. I don't know what that means as far as feints. If someone perceives your bridging move as a feint and it trips them up, is it a feint if you had no feinting intention?

I firmly believe you should strive for a formlessness in intention/action which makes the distinction meaningless/impossible.
EightExtremesBoxer
Santi

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:16 am

everything wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote:

I thought this is what all IMA say. There is no obvious beginning and end of issuing force. I don't know what that means as far as feints. If someone perceives your bridging move as a feint and it trips them up, is it a feint if you had no feinting intention?

If a strike is perceived as a feint then it is not a feint - where's the deception. If your bridge is not effectively dealt with by your opponent then it lands as a successful strike. As I see it, when you feint with your left for example you are essentially committing to your follow up strike with your right. That decision makes you less responsive to your opponent's reaction so that if your opponent blocks/evades the left as he moves to his right(your left) your committed follow up right is a non-issue and you have a gap in your attentiveness to your opponent.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 am

Interesting thread. I want to post a lot about this, but I dont have computer at home. Just keep it on topic until I can post :D
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan