Yang family

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang family

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 pm

FZW was the one to rake most of the challenges and so did Tung
It is interesting to see who is claiming FZW,s lineage these days
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trip on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 pm

Yang Family Taiji has a lot to offer.
Yang Jun’s postures are solid & stable and detailed.
With solid Taiji Body Mechanics

His form is not limp

There may be some who flow more,
But their flow usually glosses over many important Yang Style details.

His students & disciple’s forms are also stable worldwide.
Not mixed with something else
It’s not derivative yang style;
it’s Yang style Taiji

Yang Jun & Yang Zhenduo pass on clear updated info on the 10 essentials,
that is both practical, and that you can put into your actual practice.

They pass on their Yang Family style in multiple accessible ways Worldwide:
• on in clear written language,
• In videos on their YouTube channel,
• on their websites & Forums,
• And in person.

Most of that Info is free
And, their info is not in a riddle that you have decode.

Though, at the moment, for good Yang Style info, I do not recommend their Facebook Group channel)

They have Quality Control Assurance
They Establish standards for testing, training, and ranking of Yang Family Taiji Teachers and Judges.

More than most of the Yang Family Taiji Student I have met,
who have a legit certificate from them,
Their Yang Style Taiji is crisp and clear & firm.

There’s a lot to like about Yang Family Taijiquan.

Just as easily as I would recommend the Dong style
I would recommend Yang Family Taiji :)
Trip
Wuji

Postby Trip on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:14 pm

If it wasn’t for the Yang Family making Taiji accessible to all,
There’s strong chance many of you would have never even heard of Taiji.
Or, have an opportunity to learn it.
Trip
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 pm

same with Maeda and the Gracies. Someone has to introduce to the world some kind of interesting art. That doesn't really mean everyone with the same name or in the same family has to be able to do that art. Royce doesn't have to be as good as Rickson. That's ok. Is there anyone descended from Beethoven doing mind-blowing music? It's really, really ok if not. I feel sorry for people like Bronny. It's not possible to live up to a LeBron if that's what the world demands.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:40 pm

wayne hansen wrote:FZW was the one to rake most of the challenges and so did Tung

Do we really know about those challenges, if they were PH challenges for sure FZW could probably handle those with grace, fistfight challenges? Well if FZW brother was around not many would have gone that far in their challenge of the Yang style.
Today it’s in many ways more civilized and not too many “Dojo-bashers” around , the Yang’s, Fu’s, Dong’s… even the supposedly by many the more fighty Chen’s can relax and their TJQ evolves accordingly.
Last edited by Trick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:44 pm

Steve James wrote: Afa fighting, it was Fu Zhongwen who was the 'gatekeeper' to accept challenges.

wayne hansen wrote:FZW was the one to rake most of the challenges and so did Tung

The closest students who took on fighting are usually called "the five tigers". The problem though is that the names differ slightly in different sources.

I have seen name as Chen Weiming, Dong Yingjie, Tian Zhaolin, Wu Huichuan, Chu Guiting, Li Yulin, and Zhang Qinlin mentioned. There were others well know for fighting skills, but they took care of schools in other cities. But as Fu Zhongwen was traveling a lot together with YCF, it's quite natural that FZW had to represent YCF in different ways on different occasions. And that doesn't mean he was the most skilled student and the best fighter.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

The closest students who took on fighting are usually called "the five tigers".

That has nothing to do with your list. The only time I've heard phrase was in relation to the four Chen guys who represented the style in the 80s, never to Yang style or Yang family.

Of course, I wasn't there to see who represented the Yang family when challenged. I did know Louis Swaim, who literally wrote the book on FZW. The Dong's were not gatekeepers representing the Yang family. It's not hard to imagine that they defended their own style. Secondly, there's the Yang family in the UK, and they'd have their own gatekeeper.

There's no way to know who the 'best fighter' was, and the best fighter might not be a gatekeeper. I.e., somebody comes to a school, they don't challenge the top guy until they get through the students. Anyway, Yang Jun inherited and teaches the form that most precisely represents YCF's 'style.' That's what he's passing on. Yeah, it is a business. But, he's not claiming to be the best fighter or to produce great fighters.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm

Who is the Yang gatekeeper in the UK
I had teachers who trained with YCF and the told stories of Tung taking challenges for Y
In fact Hao took Tung aside after he started training with Y
He taught Tung extra stuff because he was taking so many challenges for Y
Hao told him he was teaching him stuff because if he lost it would reflect badly on Y but more so on the teacher he left
What is Swains lineage
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

I have never heard of the 4 Chen guys taking any challenges
The only thing I have seen is the débâcle in Taiwan
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm

Steve James wrote: Anyway, Yang Jun inherited and teaches the form that most precisely represents YCF's 'style.' That's what he's passing on. Yeah, it is a business. But, he's not claiming to be the best fighter or to produce great fighters.

Not really. Art, form and style are different things. What he teaches doesn't really represent YCF's "style" and only a fraction of YFC's "art". YCF taught differently to different people and different things in different periods. Yang jun and his father created a brand by standardizing and simplifying YCF's late form that was designed to teach very large groups. It's a sort of reader's Digest version of Yang Style.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

Who is the Yang gatekeeper in the UK

I have no idea about today. If she's alive, Mary Yang/Yeung (Yang Sao Chung's daughter) would be considered the head of the style. But, I don't think there are there have been fighting challenges.

I don't recall Louis's lineage. I'm pretty sure it's the YCF line. He translated FZW's book in 2000. Maybe I'll look for it and see if he's more specific. When he wrote it, YZD was just introducing Yang Jun as his successor. (The book is Mastering Tai Chi Chuan, btw).

Afa who took challenges, it would always be a disciple. Whether it was always FZW, I don't know. Could have been whoeer was there at the time.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

What he teaches doesn't really represent YCF's "style" and only a fraction of YFC's "art".

Could be true, but there's no way you could know or be able to say who represents YCF's style or art. You can't know that.

YJ does the form the way his grandfather did, YCF's son. Sure, it's possible for anyone to point to YJ's faults or that YCF style is crap. He still knows way more about it than anyone on rsf.

What YJ does is teach YCF's form "by the book." If you look at YCF's pictures and YJ's, they're supposed to be identical. That doesn't mean it's as good or better than any other of Its derivatives. I think it's a good idea to have a specific standard. It's not the case with all styles. For ex, CMC derived styles are often very different.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm

a standard bearer of "form". but that really raises the age old question of "what is the point of form" / "is form the 'art'". the "music has been written on the sheet"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 pm

Steve James wrote:
What he teaches doesn't really represent YCF's "style" and only a fraction of YFC's "art".

Could be true, but there's no way you could know or be able to say who represents YCF's style or art. You can't know that.

YJ does the form the way his grandfather did, YCF's son. Sure, it's possible for anyone to point to YJ's faults or that YCF style is crap.

What YJ does is teach YCF's form "by the book." If you look at YCF's pictures and YJ's, they're supposed to be identical. That doesn't mean it's as good or better than any other of Its derivatives. I think it's a good idea to have a specific standard. It's not the case with all styles. For ex, CMC derived styles are often very different.

Don’t judge others by your own standard
You don’t know what people on here know
I know they don’t have the whole system
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm

Steve James wrote:
The closest students who took on fighting are usually called "the five tigers".

That has nothing to do with your list. The only time I've heard phrase was in relation to the four Chen guys who represented the style in the 80s, never to Yang style or Yang family.

I thought the five tigers referred to a bunch(5) of diverse martial artist from the north that went south ?
Trick
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan