Wang Yan and Neutralization

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wang Yan and Neutralization

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 am

Steve James wrote:Calm and cold-blooded, he's very sensitive with great timing.

Never really card much for the demo....
Would not agree on the sensitivity,,, relative to the student he's working with...

The Teacher taking advantage of the students lack of sensitivity, timing, in a somewhat prearranged drill..
maybe it's his way of training the student...maybe ;D

Had it been a stranger, agreeing to the format might be a different story or not,, a clearer test of the teachers
skill level...
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:45 am

I get the impression that the guy in white wasn't supposed to try that shoulder attack. He seemed to get real agitated after that.

*record scratch*
"It was at this point that he knew he'd fucked up."

Like I can't help but read SO MUCH SHADE in this interaction and the sheer hell that he put that dude through for the next minute.

He just got thrown ten feet on red clay in his white uniform, gets up hunched over, limping. (remember the Yang family stories about people walking funny for the rest of their life)

The master turns his back on the guy and walks away, making him follow to receive the rest of his beating

Then does the standard demonstration of "you might get a lucky shot but I own you from contact".

I don't know the relationship between them or the context beyond this minute but it looks like the teacher has very little respect for the student to me and the student is really regretting a life choice or two.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:09 am

i didn't read anything or look at any gif or video in the thread besides what origami_itto just replied with, so your captions seem right on and got me literally lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:29 am

The teaching method is common.

Wang Naixiang teaches pushing hands

The link goes directly to the teachings...

Wang Naixiang
studied taiji and bagua under his father Wang Peisheng

The students need to feel whats being done in a convincing way, erasing doubts of what they're training on..] Wang Naxaing[/url] studied taiji and bagua under his father Wang Peisheng

The students need to feel whats being done in a convincing way, erasing doubts of what they're training on..
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:20 am

windwalker wrote:The teaching method is common.

Wang Naixiang teaches pushing hands

The link goes directly to the teachings...

Wang Naixiang
studied taiji and bagua under his father Wang Peisheng

The students need to feel whats being done in a convincing way, erasing doubts of what they're training on..] Wang Naxaing[/url] studied taiji and bagua under his father Wang Peisheng

The students need to feel whats being done in a convincing way, erasing doubts of what they're training on..

I'm leary of it. I dunno. Lemme get my insurance in order and then I'll dump em for being rude but too vulnerable right now in America lmao
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 am

everything wrote:i didn't read anything or look at any gif or video in the thread besides what origami_itto just replied with, so your captions seem right on and got me literally lol

*bows*

And now we know why they call it "Diagonal flying"
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:23 am

Meh, of course the skill level is different. That doesn't change my opinion that he was calm and cold-blooded. Am I complaining about how far he pushed the guy away? C'mon, is that suddenly not a specifically "taichi" thing?

Afa the relationship between the two, in origami's original video, toward the end he's seen actually instructing the guy in white -who is probably his student, or maybe demo dummy. Imo, it'd be fairer to say that the uke was just exaggerating (as so many do). But, imo, to be able to do it requires skill, timing, and sensitivity.

Yeah, I sorta do pay attention to attitude.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 am

Steve James wrote:Meh, of course the skill level is different. That doesn't change my opinion that he was calm and cold-blooded. Am I complaining about how far he pushed the guy away? C'mon, is that suddenly not a specifically "taichi" thing?

Afa the relationship between the two, in origami's original video, toward the end he's seen actually instructing the guy in white -who is probably his student, or maybe demo dummy. Imo, it'd be fairer to say that the uke was just exaggerating (as so many do). But, imo, to be able to do it requires skill, timing, and sensitivity.

Yeah, I sorta do pay attention to attitude.

I'm not arguing with you. He's definitely calm and cold blooded.

Honestly y'all I'm not as argumentative as it might seem, maybe I should work on that.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:19 pm

origami_itto wrote:

I get the impression that the guy in white wasn't supposed to try that shoulder attack. He seemed to get real agitated after that.

*record scratch*
"It was at this point that he knew he'd fucked up."

Like I can't help but read SO MUCH SHADE in this interaction and the sheer hell that he put that dude through for the next minute.

He just got thrown ten feet on red clay in his white uniform, gets up hunched over, limping. (remember the Yang family stories about people walking funny for the rest of their life)

The master turns his back on the guy and walks away, making him follow to receive the rest of his beating

Then does the standard demonstration of "you might get a lucky shot but I own you from contact".

I don't know the relationship between them or the context beyond this minute but it looks like the teacher has very little respect for the student to me and the student is really regretting a life choice or two.

This is more Taiji marketing, but in this one the teacher has set it up so he looks skilled and powerful. The student is either clueless or a good enough actor to just allow himself to be pulled off-balance and let the teacher do the rest. The distances “thrown” are not out of proportion for someone falling from those off-balance setups. Go to the original video on YouTube and watch frame-by-frame to see how and what they are doing.

But, a teacher who is surviving off a school needs students and that means marketing of some sort or another. I was certainly not the best at that. Maybe, if I had gone out and publicly smacked down some of my students, I would have had larger classes.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
twocircles13
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:30 pm

The last Wang WPS son shows when you have skill you can throw someone without being brutal
My teacher lived in a small flat
Where we pushed had a couch at one end and a glass cabinet at the other
If my back faced the couch I knew there would be plenty of air time
If it faced the cabinet I knew my neutralizing needed to be first rate
Good people can thro you but not let go of the Lead
Like a dog on a chain they can pull in the reins
You no you have been cast out but pulled back before you leave your spot
This is one thing that is missing in bull at a gate pushing
If your teacher doesn’t have if it
It is like forgetting to put your bags in the taxi
When you go back and look for them they are no longer there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:49 pm

origami_itto wrote: Image

Why didn't he use his left leg to control his opponent's back leg when he pushed? Why do you allow your opponent to have free legs if you can control it?

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:54 pm

I always considered myself a 'low level practitioner' ??? but when I used to show my little skill (perception), there are those
who would try harder to 'unseat me' as if I was in their seat, when in fact I was just sharing. It got rough a few times but
based on the unseen and untaught lessons of a few of my former teachers, I had to keep the peace and by my demeanor exert
that 'little skill' and be unknown while keeping my own seat!

My language description, I realize is a bit odd especially if someone has no perception of the things a teachers shows but is
never taught face to face (to the student) it has to be in the 'unseen experience that is conveyed before and after those type of interaction
Many of these lessons are not taught but if one had had a 'good' teacher, one picks these 'signs and symptoms' and the best way to behave
and still keep face! y
All I have seen with Wang Peisheng is positive since no one maliciously attempted to 'Bogart' the lessons and they all behaved appropriately!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:55 pm

New broom sweeps clean but the old one knows the corners!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:07 pm

I like the word seat it says a lot
A good teacher lets you know if your response is lacking
However he takes care of you
I like Hungs saying and that’s how I was taught

A student should be stung often
And hurt ocassionally
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:52 pm

johnwang wrote:
origami_itto wrote: Image

Why didn't he use his left leg to control his opponent's back leg when he pushed? Why do you allow your opponent to have free legs if you can control it?

Why would you, if you don't have or need to...

Shifu Zhao Guohong taiji push hands

"Zhao Guohong

The main quality one notices when pushing with Zhao, aside from his startlingly lightening speed, is how quickly he changes in order to never use force. He never feels fear, is always calm and never sweats or feels tired. He is always “empty.”

This emptiness is actually full of awareness. Zhao’s posture is completely erect. No stance or footwork is perceptible, but internally where it can’t be seen there is tremendous form. Zhao never overextends or gives up his center. He maintains his composure, rolls with everything he is given and uses that roll back to recoil into wherever his partner is most open, stiff and unguarded. The term “relaxed” does not do justice to his extraordinary level of composure and readiness."

Zhao, was pretty funny and quite skilled taking on all comers in the Bay Area...He'd throw them down sometimes pretty hard....
Those who have trained in China, Taiwan, know in the parks, it can get rough...

A teacher brought his student to our group one time, Master Zhang, asked some of the students to work with the student allowing him a taste of the training...
Felt bad for the student, :P as he was thrown about quite hard...when it came to me, just neutralized his movement with out have to throw him out...

he seemed very appreciative ;D
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan