The Heart and Spine are Important

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Heart and Spine are Important

Postby windwalker on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:17 am

might be good to include the original text text in Chinese....
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:23 am

Well, your experiment did figure something out: now we know how to defeat Skynet. Just give it a Taijiquan text or article to read and it will self destruct
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 am

windwalker wrote:might be good to include the original text text in Chinese....

Don't have that, just the English translation there.
Does anybody have CMC's 13 treatises in the Chinese?

D_Glenn wrote:Well, your experiment did figure something out: now we know how to defeat Skynet. Just give it a Taijiquan text or article to read and it will self destruct

https://www.businessinsider.com/marines ... ire%20time.

Eight Marines placed the robot in the center of a traffic circle and found creative ways to approach it, aiming to get close enough to touch the robot without being detected.

Two of the Marines did somersaults for 300 meters. Two more hid under a cardboard box, giggling the entire time. Another took branches from a fir tree and walked along, grinning from ear to ear while pretending to be a tree, according to sources from Scharre's book.

Not one of the eight was detected.

"The AI had been trained to detect humans walking," Scharre wrote. "Not humans somersaulting, hiding in a cardboard box, or disguised as a tree. So these simple tricks, which a human would have easily seen through, were sufficient to break the algorithm."

We've just got to stop training the damn things.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 am

Bao wrote: However, straightening the spine is not something you should try to do consciously. The spine wants to prolong itself naturally, so aligning yourself with the space-curvature affected be the mass of the earth (i.e. "gravity"), and relaxing into the alignment, will naturally straighten the spine. So you need to learn how to "let go" without collapsing. That is all.

Agree. You can let go consciously, but the reaction of the spine and surrounding tissues and where the spine etc. actually ends up, what changes occur, is something you let happen instead of actively trying to adopt a new posture. The word "posture" derives from the Latin ponere, to put or to place. And hence posture isn't really a good term in this context, since we shouldn't try to "put" the spine in place but instead let it find its own hanging state, with gravity, like a plumb line. Which can then continually re-adjust from moment to moment, more 'by itself'.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:07 am

Giles wrote: The word "posture" derives from the Latin ponere, to put or to place. And hence posture isn't really a good term in this context, since we shouldn't try to "put" the spine in place but instead let it find its own hanging state, with gravity, like a plumb line. Which can then continually re-adjust from moment to moment, more 'by itself'.

Excellent point, haven't thought about the word that way. Thanks.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby robert on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:47 am

The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:48 am

Letting go, relaxing, fansong, hanging the spine, and other verbal concepts do not directly address the underlying issue. the underlying issue is our big brains and compensatory structural changes. this is a deep topic. what feels normal and relaxed for the beginner is the opposite of what internal training reveals over time. language, culture, power structures and social expectations reinforce these compensatory adaptations. a list of points or affirmations in practice do little to address issues of internal power in a full everyday life context. i teach according to this principle. "Big brains and socialization result in funny movement." Our identity is based on these postural expectations and adaptations and is very difficult to change. Again, a very deep topic.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:21 pm

Oh I agree.
There's this direct bidirectional connection between posture and spirit.

The way we hold ourself is an indication of our internal state and self image and the image we are projecting to the world consciously or unconsciously.

That translates into tension that isn't necessarily conducive to health or optimum movement.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm

Kelley Graham wrote: what feels normal and relaxed for the beginner is the opposite of what internal training reveals over time.

Nothing feels normal and relaxed for a beginner.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby ParadoxTeapot on Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:06 pm

I'm glad it turned out this way.

I have read a lot of writing online regarding Taijiquan that it would not surprise me if it wasn't an experiment and someone's genuine passionate essay.

I have literally read a giant post on a Taijiquan forum about the intricacies of picking up a cup of water, written in an overly dramatic and profound way.

And I'm just so bored. How are these people not bored as well?

It's like listening to people singing the alphabet song. I'm just thinking: "Is this seriously the most interesting topic you can think of? And why must it always be so unnecessarily verbose?"

"Hey kids! Did you know that the spine supports your torso!? Did you know the central nervous system connects the brain and body?"

I'm just thinking: "Who the heck is the intended audience here?"

It makes me miss reading people's bickering online because the disagreements are more mentally stimulating. Reading about a group of people agreeing that keeping an upright posture being a good thing is not exactly my idea of thought-provoking.

Apologies for me ranting to myself.
ParadoxTeapot
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:32 pm

ParadoxTeapot wrote:I'm glad it turned out this way.

I have read a lot of writing online regarding Taijiquan that it would not surprise me if it wasn't an experiment and someone's genuine passionate essay.

I have literally read a giant post on a Taijiquan forum about the intricacies of picking up a cup of water, written in an overly dramatic and profound way.

And I'm just so bored. How are these people not bored as well?

It's like listening to people singing the alphabet song. I'm just thinking: "Is this seriously the most interesting topic you can think of? And why must it always be so unnecessarily verbose?"

"Hey kids! Did you know that the spine supports your torso!? Did you know the central nervous system connects the brain and body?"

I'm just thinking: "Who the heck is the intended audience here?"

It makes me miss reading people's bickering online because the disagreements are more mentally stimulating. Reading about a group of people agreeing that keeping an upright posture being a good thing is not exactly my idea of thought-provoking.

Apologies for me ranting to myself.

Well my "Real" writing is on my blog. Some here but this is more of a crucible.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:41 pm

agree with paradox teapot, pat my back and i pat yours is getting a bit too much when its intention is a demand.
as for whos the adience of for example for this thread topic i think its more a case of TS somewhat practicing for his upcomming teacher status
Trick
Huajing

Postby ThomasK on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:51 am

I think the worst mistake is having no tension in the pelvic floor, as then you will have to have pelvis misalignment to compensate for that lack of tension by either tucking in too much or sticking out the ass too much.

Edit: I'm not so sure about that lol
Last edited by ThomasK on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasK
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 am

Trick wrote:practicing for his upcomming teacher status

I got the go ahead, also strained some ligaments and have been on light duty for about a week so no workouts no form no push hands no new videos, waaa.
They want me to start a class at this temple but 8 AM??? Bruh. It's like an hour drive, insanity. Catch me on my zoom.

Hard launch in April. -break-
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby ThomasK on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:36 am

Oh cool, what temple you teaching at?
ThomasK
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan