What is the point of silk reeling - to you - ?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What is the point of silk reeling - to you - ?

Postby everything on Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:51 pm

Nobody ever talks about the same thing

Perhaps that is best
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:03 pm

If we all talk the same drivel and fondle our twaddle what's there to converse about
Quigga

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:37 pm

Well it looks like Chansijin is another term that I’m just going to have to stop using. I think I will make up a new word for what Chansijin used to be, something like 結網 Jiewang, and who knows, maybe in a couple years Pang Chao will make a video showing what 結網 Jiewang is.

Here’s what I think ‘one part stops, every part stops’ is supposed to be

https://youtu.be/cbSfDTFdDbk?si=zYcJ5uP9JDCmvuez

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:21 am

Quigga wrote:Origami, no thank you, you should know what a hard punch is or no?

Rob, I believe my words were very clear

The force that will travel back through your skeleton after hitting someone will spill over the cup that's filled to almost the brim like you would drink it

Nope
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:21 am

Nope to what?

As for the selective tension... tension is always global in regards to the body. You can tense up a body part more than another, relatively speaking. But as soon as you tense up anywhere, the tension in other far away places raises too. So if you tense your hand or fist for a example you have more tension in your foot and lower back.

Or you try to only tense your arm, but your diaphragm will be tense

That doesn't mean to punch with a floppy sloppy fist is always good

Pavel Tsatsouline teaches this global tension in 'The Naked Warrior', if anyone is interested. How to reach maximum consciously available tension

That's one of the reasons why people clench their teeth when lifting really heavy

Or why you squeeze the bar when squatting
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 am

When shooting a pistol you brace your arm to keep it stable for when the impact/rebound initiated by the weapon comes back and to keep good aim

You don't create the impact yourself

When opening a door with a tray in hand - yes I worked as a waiter and other things - you slowly push and can let the force travel through you slowly

If you think a push is a punch -
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:40 am

What's jiewang?

One part every part

The more parts you have the more interesting it becomes

You get more parts by increasing awareness and consciousness of body

Bones tendons flesh muscles blood fascia joints organs skin vertebrae

It's like Vipassana but for the entire body in movement and stillness

Then you connect those parts by silk reeling

The lower dantian is the physical control center of this connected movement

The parts (points of awarenesses in your body you can access / create) eventually get so plentiful that only wave movements of various kinds can do justice to one part every part (spirals can also be waves and spirals naturally result from not being double weighted in yourselfffff)

Wuji is the required state for there to be relaxation in tension and tension in relaxation

The way you hold your self and body changes (yes I didn't write 'yourself', but your self)

Your self is suspended from above as if by a thread

Not pushing Bai Hui upwards but like a invisible chain connected to Heaven

And not really being concerned by Earth anymore

So silk reeling is both a process and a result

The goal is the way and the way of reaching the goal is itself

Edit: eventually the parts get so plentiful you end up with fluid, liquid, smoothness, softness - otherwise you can't capture them all in one model - maybe even gas if you want to, doesn't matter all that much - maybe in a matter of degrees of lightness - that doesn't mean being rootless, the root adjusts itself as needed and when needed
Last edited by Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:48 am

You just guide your awareness, then the feeling follows, then the body moves correctly
Quigga

Postby RobP3 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:51 am

Nope to pretty much all of that
Interesting that you mention PT. He studied under one of my teachers
Last edited by RobP3 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:40 am

Cool which one?

I nope your nope
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:41 am

I don't consider PT to have much valuable to say regarding Ima fwiw
Quigga

Postby origami_itto on Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:14 am

Sure, just don't think you can throw one with your floppy tofu arms or sit in judgment on another's.
Have you ever even thrown a punch?
Wait... more importantly... have you ever TAKEN one?

Sorry, what I meant to say was your opinion about how hard I can punch is very valid to me. I respect your right to not demonstrate your might.

That will travel back through your skeleton after hitting someone will spill over the cup that's filled to almost the brim like you would drink it

Only if you make it go that way. Makes more sense to me to put all that force elsewhere.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:56 am

結網 Jiewang is a quality of one’s body that can only be obtained after several years of daily practice in training what is called Bao Fali (explosive emission of power). This is also called Bolang Jin (crashing wave power), because you are using the lumbar to jolt the abdomen which creates a wave of flesh moving upward, which you eventually learn to time and sync up with your striking arm. Watch high speed camera (1000 fps) films of boxers punching. You can see the waves of flesh moving down the arm and the waves that travel back up through arm that are coming from the object that is punched. A Bao Fali added into the punch will have that wave traveling with the fist and eliminate any refractory wave coming back up the arm.
The precise coordination and timing that is required to do this creates a different movement modality that is then called 結網 Jiewang. It only exists within Chinese Martial Arts that use a Bao Fali. (Chen tjq, some Xingyi quan schools, Yin style Bagua, some Bajiquan, some schools of San Huang Paochui). Bao Fali is a highly guarded secret that traditionally was never to be shown to foreigners. There are still Chinese schools that swore blood oaths to never show it to anyone. Chen Taijiquan demonstrates it, but rarely does anything to teach it to foreigners. My teacher made the decision in 1996 to just teach it to everyone from every nationality because the younger generation of Chinese couldn’t care less about their traditions. He said that, who knows, one day Westerner’s might be teaching it back to the Chinese.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 am

origami_itto wrote:

Sure, just don't think you can throw one with your floppy tofu arms or sit in judgment on another's.
Have you ever even thrown a punch?
Wait... more importantly... have you ever TAKEN one?

Sorry, what I meant to say was your opinion about how hard I can punch is very valid to me. I respect your right to not demonstrate your might.

That will travel back through your skeleton after hitting someone will spill over the cup that's filled to almost the brim like you would drink it

Only if you make it go that way. Makes more sense to me to put all that force elsewhere.

Looking forward to that video

I know a place where you can put that force haha ;D
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 am

Glenn thanks for the explanation
Quigga

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan