Jon Jones golden rooster stands on one leg

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Jon Jones golden rooster stands on one leg

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Ok yup not a tai chi player but... (what energy is this btw hahaha)

Last edited by everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Jon Jones golden rooster stands on one leg

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.. The applications I learned are totally different. If a normal knee strike can be interpreted as Jinji Duli then all of any MA could be Taijiquan...
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:02 pm

In wrestling, Taiji "golden rooster stands on one leg" can be to use your knee to lift your opponent's body (below upper leg) to be off the ground. This is one of David C. K. Lin's best techniques. At his age of 71, he can still use this move to lift his 300 lb student to be off the ground. I asked him about the secret on this. He said it's to find the balance point on your single leg. The force is not to lift the knee but lean body in one direction and find that balance point. Before you do that, first you have to manage to let your opponent's body to sit on your upper leg as a "bench".

Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:02 pm

I was told it's knee strike and palm strike (what it most looks like outwardly AFAIK), so yeah he's not doing that, but life's not perfect so. Plus tai chi videos mostly are horrifyingly bad in what they try to show (no wonder RSF is never happy with them), so this seems better. As with all the moves we discuss, no doubt people have much more interesting applications, though.

all of any MA could be Taijiquan

this is half-jokingly my point. I mean a push down is a push down. A pull down is a pull down. An elbow is an elbow. Maybe the fighter (Jones is brilliant so I'm not criticizing him specifically) doesn't have the 4 oz attributes we expect, but taijiquan doesn't seem to be famous for having applications that other MA don't have, right.
Last edited by everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby amor on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I don't know if its rooster standing on one leg but the first clip is interesting in that it does appear to put 'the structure' to good use in similar fashion how even beginner taichi players would need to learn anyway. Looks like he pivots on one side of the foot that he has his weight using the foot and hips then switches weight goes, empty and then knees the guy. You can tell that the opponent in the first clip is slightly but subtly baffled, like doesn't know how to react.

Dunno about second clip looks like standard muay thai knee :-\
Last edited by amor on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 pm

that wrestling application looks cool. is it hard to do?

I'll just leave this here though. Imagine one of her arms is down (maybe for balance, maybe for cai) and this looks more classic form-like.
ImageImage
Imagine if we told the second woman that this is "women's self defense" and not "yoga". I'm sure she has no clue. Imagine what the left woman might think if we showed her golden rooster. She would probably be like "oh ok yeah".

Dunno about second clip looks like standard muay thai knee :-\

this is all a little tongue-in-cheek. Jones never studied tai chi AFAIK.
Last edited by everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:16 pm

everything wrote:that wrestling application looks cool. is it hard to do?

When your opponent's weight is on your right upper leg and you stand on your left leg, you need to lean to your left so your and your opponent's body can all be balanced on your left leg. It's easy to do this on a 150 lb opponent. It's hard to do this on a 300 lb opponent.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:18 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:that wrestling application looks cool. is it hard to do?

When your opponent's weight is on your right upper leg and you stand on your left leg, you need to lean to your left so your and your opponent's body can all be balanced on your left leg. It's easy to do this on a 150 lb opponent. It's hard to do this on a 300 lb opponent.

this seems very good (and everything is hard on a 300 lb opponent!) but maybe it doesn't have the idealistic "4 oz" (which is ok with me). is this timing based to make it easier on the heavier opponent, though?
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:32 pm

everything wrote:this seems very good (and everything is hard on a 300 lb opponent!) but maybe it doesn't have the idealistic "4 oz" (which is ok with me). is this timing based to make it easier on the heavier opponent, though?

It's not the timing but the balance point. You can train this by using your heavy bag. It can increase your "strong rooting" big time.

double legs rooting < single leg rooting < single leg rooting + weight
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm

thanks. I think I could learn it in person (on someone of my same weight), but it's slightly hard to follow the words and video.

I thought for sure everyone would say golden rooster is palm/knee strike, but I'm starting to learn not to be surprised by many application intepretations/learnings.

on another tangent, if you look at the Jones elbow thread I made, if you do the shoulder crank with the left arm, then do golden rooster with the right arm and knee, it should be an interesting application.
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:12 pm

peng, lu, ji, an, cai, lie, zhou, kao are considered to be 8 "energies". ba fa. ba jin. etc. which is a bit ambiguous if we are talking about "energy" in the sense of qi flow that can feel electrical or like fluid, which is different (and I agree with you about this feeling). too many ambiguous words in both Chinese and English. :-/
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 am

Appledog wrote:When you say "jing" you are no longer referring to the actual physical move but a feeling or result of training that move. So while you mention 'zhou' as an elbow strike, it has nothing to do with taiji's 'zhou jing', which is the result of training zhou the technique in the tai chi form and in tai chi push hands.

So, "jin" is what you feel as a result of practicing physical techniques from forms and push hands, but isn't an elbow strike? One common use of the elbow, "zhou", is to strike. If it is not being used for that purpose, what is being trained regarding the elbow in push hands and forms? The purpose of practicing techniques in forms and push hands is so one can feel "jin" that has little or no practical use-on-opponent use?
charles
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am

I don't understand why it can't be a throw, knee, or whatever as long as it works and it's not too off base.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan