Jon Jones golden rooster stands on one leg

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Jon Jones golden rooster stands on one leg

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:26 pm

I practise it as a kick to the groin, shin or knee, plus a thrust to the neck/jaw with an open hand. The throw looks interesting.

Although different then the other Jin, Kao and Zhou are important to teach one how to be able to use the whole body as a weapon.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't think the 1st Gif is too shabby at all...I like it.

In his own way ... Jon turned / yielded slightly, enough to get his opponent a bit overextended (notice the straight right arm).
=> He then applied his Knee strike. It doesn't have to look perfect like a form...the skill is there.

That yield that I speak of is crucial to a set up. This is the thing that Johnwang doesn't seem to like or prefer. I've seen him say many times (questioning) how can yielding to someone produce a kill or at least a valuable defense.

My answer is similar to what you hear in Judo all the time..."It's not the fall or flying through the air the hurts...it's what you land on"

In a similar way...yielding to someone doesn't do anything for the most part except to set them up....THEN YOU BUST THIER CHOPS OR GO FOR THE KILL IF YOU SO DESIRE.
=======================================================================================================================
Watching the 1st Gif...the opponent is reaching and literally pushing his hands forward, don't ever let it be said that someone won't try to push forward on you in MMA. It actually happens allot more than people realize. Sometimes they are only for a very few or miniscule seconds and people miss them...but they do happen.

I find this hilariously Ironic...because this is the situation that most Modern Tai Chi Push Hands people train for (NO)>>>> ..... It's what they dream about. Haha. Unfortunately, what they can't handle is a big barrage of Jabbs, Crosses, Hooks and Wild Overhand Rights!
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Appledog on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 am

I don't like application practice of TJQ forms as 'I do this against that' and no longer practice it. But that throw shown in JW's post is interesting. Another I remember and liked when I learned it is an Arm lock(or kind of an arm drag) combined with a knee thrust.
Trick

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:00 am

Subitai wrote:I don't think the 1st Gif is too shabby at all...I like it.

In his own way ... Jon turned / yielded slightly, enough to get his opponent a bit overextended (notice the straight right arm).
=> He then applied his Knee strike. It doesn't have to look perfect like a form...the skill is there.

That yield that I speak of is crucial to a set up. This is the thing that Johnwang doesn't seem to like or prefer. I've seen him say many times (questioning) how can yielding to someone produce a kill or at least a valuable defense.

My answer is similar to what you hear in Judo all the time..."It's not the fall or flying through the air the hurts...it's what you land on"

In a similar way...yielding to someone doesn't do anything for the most part except to set them up....THEN YOU BUST THIER CHOPS OR GO FOR THE KILL IF YOU SO DESIRE.
=======================================================================================================================
Watching the 1st Gif...the opponent is reaching and literally pushing his hands forward, don't ever let it be said that someone won't try to push forward on you in MMA. It actually happens allot more than people realize. Sometimes they are only for a very few or miniscule seconds and people miss them...but they do happen.

I find this hilariously Ironic...because this is the situation that most Modern Tai Chi Push Hands people train for (NO)>>>> ..... It's what they dream about. Haha. Unfortunately, what they can't handle is a big barrage of Jabbs, Crosses, Hooks and Wild Overhand Rights!

This is a nice explanation. I believe there is more going on, then some people realize. Jones is arguably using peng, lu, ji (terms not important). Many times one will not be able to get an opponent completely off balance. Chances are higher of getting an opponent out of position; giving time to land a knee.

Published on Apr 24, 2012
http://www.mma121.com | Learn how to do the Jon Jones lead Elbow strike that he used so effectively against Rashad Evans at UFC 145. Jon Jones uses a crafty bit of hand fighting in order to establish the range and control the movement of Rashad Evans. He is effectively measuring Evans for a whole range of strikes including his great use of the lead elbow strike. When Rashad engages with the hand fighting he allows himself to get distracted and becomes even more susceptible to the attacks of Jon Jones. Once again this is a great example of Jon Jones' ability to use innovative and unorthodox MMA techniques on his way to victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOzj1ZHxcA
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 am

Um, ya know, in the Yang long form that has a double temple strike, but the movement before that is a knee strike. "I was shown that" the idea was to bring the opponent down while the knee was going up, and the fist strikes were the follow up. I don't know if that makes any sense in writing. However, I really wanted to point out that what goes up must come down; so, the coming down part of Golden Cock is also an application. Just thinking out loud.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:31 am

Knee up, stomp down. Hmm yes.

I like subitai's reading of the gif, too. What do you think of the others (made a lot of threads, sorry, but hey we need to talk about something besides "fake" and AI).
Last edited by everything on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am

Well, imo, if you categorize the movements by their directions in space, it's easy to find correlations. Afa applications, I've always said that they're only limited to the imaginations of the practitioners. John Wang showed a knee lift. It could be a strike to the solar plexus. It could be a leg check.

I think, if we had a grading system, one qualification would be to know more than one application for any one technique, and be able to demonstrate them spontaneously.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Really interesting. I would've only known one. Now I have heard of more. (Probably cannot demo all spontaneously). Every "posture" seems to be like that. That's cool. And confusing. Hmm, exactly as Bhassler says on the "there is no such thing as taijiquan" thread.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan