A word about speed

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: A word about speed

Postby dspyrido on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:32 pm

johnwang wrote:I can drill my XingYi Bong Chuan for 2 miles non-stop, I can't even drill my non-jump kick for 1/2 mile. To get the same health benefit, the kick will be better than the punch. IMO, if you (general YOU) are not capable to do punches in full speed, your physical condition is pretty bad.

Have you tried weighted gloves or hand weights? That will make a difference to 5 element.

Also 5 element can be done crouched down and it will burn the legs.

A final touch is the weight vest but I find that lower (sunk), longer (strides & distance) & faster combined with weighted gloves is more than I can cope with.

Note: I am not saying don't do the kicking drill. Just another way to enhance 5 element.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 pm

dspyrido wrote:Have you tried weighted gloves or hand weights? That will make a difference to 5 element.

I have tried to punch with hand weight. I find out that too much weight and too fast speed just don't go together. I have hurt my elbow joints 3 times in my life. Don't want to make the same mistake again. I have done my share of "strike into the thin air". I don't think I will ever do that again if I can hit a solid object instead. To "strike into the thin air" just give me that "empty" feeling. The older I'm, the more I feel that way.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:29 am

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Have you tried weighted gloves or hand weights? That will make a difference to 5 element.

I have tried to punch with hand weight. I find out that too much weight and too fast speed just don't go together. I have hurt my elbow joints 3 times in my life. Don't want to make the same mistake again. I have done my share of "strike into the thin air". I don't think I will ever do that again if I can hit a solid object instead. To "strike into the thin air" just give me that "empty" feeling. The older I'm, the more I feel that way.

Striking into thin air allows one to "keep the water in the bucket". Whatever is inside of you stays inside of you. Without "strike into thin air" your energy/essence/intent/chi/whatever the fuck you want to call it scatters. Keep it inside/internal. You should practice both.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:57 am

Taste of Death wrote:Striking into thin air allows one to "keep the water in the bucket". Whatever is inside of you stays inside of you. Without "strike into thin air" your energy/essence/intent/chi/whatever the fuck you want to call it scatters. Keep it inside/internal. You should practice both.

Practicing movement and alignment in thin air is one thing. But if you strike with force/use strength striking, you really need some resistance, something to strike. Striking air only builds bad habits and gives you a false illusion about your striking power. Like JW, I have fxcked up my elbow. Though one time is enough for me. No, striking into thin air is completely useless, something I will never do again. :(
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:15 am

Bao wrote: striking into thin air is completely useless, something I will never do again.

To strike into the thin air with straight line punches with speed can really hurt the elbow joint in the long run. I know many TKD guys have knee joint problem during older age by doing too many side kick into the thin air.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am

If someone is capable or has taken the proper time to learn how to use the Zhedie and Zhuanhuan movements to power all strikes then striking into the air is and never will be a problem.

The whole body becomes like fine machined gears that interlock so precisely that there is no gaps between the teeth. One gear moves, all gears move. One gear stops, all gears stop. Movement without momentum.

You guys have totally missed the boat. I almost feel sorry for you guys.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:06 am

D_Glenn wrote:If someone is capable or has taken the proper time to learn how the Zhedie and Zhuanhuan movements to power all strikes then striking into the air is and never will be a problem.
The whole body becomes like fine machined gears that interlock so precisely that there is no gaps between the teeth. One gear moves, all gears move. One gear stops, all gears stop. Movement without momentum.

I speak about common martial arts practice, something I did 30 years ago, not zhedie, not spine movement, not whole body movement. It doesn't matter how good you know advanced coordination, if you hit in the air like 98% martial artists do, you will have a good chance hurting your elbow. Otoh, if you understand zhedie and whole body coordination, using speed and strength in thin air is completely useless.

You guys have totally missed the boat. I almost feel sorry for you guys

Yeah right... ::)

... If you spent more time practicing and less time theorizing you might understand better when people discuss real practical practice. :P
Last edited by Bao on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 am

D_Glenn wrote:use the Zhedie and Zhuanhuan movements to power all strikes ...

I'm talking about speed punches like this.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

ken,
quoting the classics, you obviously believe that them to be training instructions.
are they?
or do they describe the proper desired end state that proper training should achieve?

the same thing for WD, who seems to believe that Master Choi's vid is a training vid.
or was he performing a demo for a group of ppl to show the power of his skill?

to me demo is to show ppl, in training i satisfy no one but my own stringent standard

john,
i have exactly the same reaction when i first read about "pro-life".

As i have said, advance players can do what they want.
but correct understanding is not negotiable.
perhaps to complement my water, i shall remain immovable as mountain
不动如山
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:26 am

Strange:

You obviously need to work on your English language comprehension and go back and read my previous posts on this thread. The similes (明喻) that I posted are descriptive of the kind of speed that one hopes to achieve. As I mentioned above, Xingyi, Bagua, Tongbei, Shaolin and so on all have a wealth of training drills and equipment designed to increase speed and power and help one move in the direction of achieving that kind of speed. Speed and power are necessary for actual use. To increase speed (and for that matter, reactivity) one needs to train in a manner that challenges one to move faster and still retain the desired mechanics.

As far as "punching the air" - professional boxers invest a not insignificant amount of time with shadow boxing and punching drills. I don't think that they would do it if it were a waste of time. Punching a heavy bag has its benefits (it gives unforgiving feedback) but it will not help you to build speed. Traditional CMA also includes bag and other striking surface/target training for the same reasons - it inures one to impact and gives feedback via reflected/rebounded force. It also teaches to focus through the target - but that was not the point of the OP - the point is that if you cannot strike/step/dodge/slip/kick fast (and with power and stability) then you cannot use your "martial art" for a "martial" purpose.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:38 pm

johnwang wrote:

IMO here we see not a lot of speed but a lot of energy 8-)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby JoeWood on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Thought this may be relevant to the discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcMK3NvvBx8

He has one wearing boxing gloves for the CMA haters on here too. -music-
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:43 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:
johnwang wrote:

IMO here we see not a lot of speed but a lot of energy 8-)

Back to the "speed" subject", multiple fast punches that exist in the praying mantis system may have power in the 1st punch (because you can put your body behind it). It may not have enough power in the 2nd, or the 3rd punch (because you don't have time to use the whole body). This is why the praying mantis techniques are good to be used for "set up".
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Some "old" speed training drills to share.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Dnotman on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Striking in air develops power. Speed comes with connection and sensitivity
Dnotman
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan