Meeting Serge Augier

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Meeting Serge Augier

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:46 am

If I ever get over your way I will be sure to take up your kind offer
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby 100kilos on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:13 am

Hello Wayne, Like Serge so eloquently stated, there was no mixing it up due to the fact we came to learn from him. To make things a little clearer Serge was kind enough to let both my cousins train even though I was part of the school and they officially where not. He was very respectful in their practice of boxing and admired their work ethic, so much so they where invited to a second class. What Serge was showing us was different ways to issue power, using the qualities of internal arts. Just a little background of myself, I am 6'1 230lbs, practiced Kyokushin karate most my life and have competed and lived in Japan for 2 years. Continued my martial arts training at Marcelo's gym in BJJ until one day I got a chance to learn from one of Serge's students Arnaud. First time we mixed it up, with Arnuad, he let me punch him full force as we engaged in push hands range. He even stood there for a bit to let me hit him full force repeatedly until i was comfortable enough to do so once we re-engaged. I have no doubt Serge would do the same and I also have no doubt if the same was applied I would not be walking for a while.....lol.

Once again if you see him you will understand, not just his power, but how ego less he is when teaching and how he really gives you everything he knows so you can train and get the same qualities.
100kilos
Anjing

Postby Arnaud on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:14 am

For those who are wondering what are the Shen gong exercises, there are actually meditation exercices.

They are part of the Cultivation of Human qualities that Kingmonkey/Darren was mentioning above.
You have the body (wei gong, nei gong), the mind (shen gong) and the breath (nei dan).

You can find more information and lots of very practical exercises in my teacher's book available in English!
http://www.amazon.com/Shen-Gong-Nei-Dan-Xuan/dp/1848192606
Arnaud
Santi

Postby posidon on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:34 am

Serge's book is a must-read for anyone really interested in martial arts, no matter what art he trains. Hope more of his books are published in English!
We are very lucky that we live in an age that Serge opened his art to the public and shares his knowledge openly. I'm sure that when Serge was learning from his teacher, very very few people (or nobody) in Europe had heard the terms Shen gong - Neidan - Ziranmen etc.
Greetings from Greece.
posidon
Mingjing

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:28 am

Serge is excellent. I can also highly recommend Darren and his class in London.

Matthew

kingmonkey wrote:Hi Rob

Thanks for sharing your experience of training with Serge.

I think everyone who has trained with him would agree that his level of skill and power are something else!

His teaching is very precise and clear and his tradition has a very clear way (with exercises) to train and develop the qualities he shows. This applies to all of the aspects of his teaching, physical, nei dan, shen gong etc

All of his students are developing these qualities through the training and their development is very easy to see very quickly after starting.

For those who are interested in the deeper aspects of taoism he's also teaching:

- The cultivation of the Human Qualities (body-mind-breath)
- The knowledge of the Changes of the World (Yi Jing)
- The Science of Destiny (Bazi, Ziwei Du Shou)
- Taoist Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- The Art of the Forms (Feng Shui and Morphopsychology)

For those of you who are interested and live near Paris or are happy to travel, I highly recommend training with him in person.
Contact through his website http://www.sergeaugier.com

Serge also has a great distance learning program.
http://www.sergeaugier.com/enseignement-distance-en/
I've had the oportunity to meet a few of the students who only study this and they are developing good physical qualities from this way of training.

If you are in London I teach on Sundays in East London.

There are also classes in Gloucester uk, Oslo, copenhagen, Chicago, Hong Kong and Melbourne.

Have a look at the contact sections on for a link to the other locations: http://www.daxuanschoollondon.com

Darren
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby enricos on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 am

After a couple of years of not being able to get on the site I'm back. I want to thank Arnaud for helping me get in touch with Serge Augier and recommending on this site the above book of Serge Augier Shen-Gong-Nei-Dan-Xuan. I will purchase the book today , participate in the on-line-martial arts program and see in Chicago soon.
enricos
Anjing

Postby northern_mantis on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Does anybody have any idea of the cost of the online training? Just a ball park amount would be nice I.e. More than the cost of pint of beer a month but less than the cost of a ticket to the football, that sort of thing.
Last edited by northern_mantis on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:39 am

Arnaud wrote:For those who are wondering what are the Shen gong exercises, there are actually meditation exercices.

They are part of the Cultivation of Human qualities that Kingmonkey/Darren was mentioning above.
You have the body (wei gong, nei gong), the mind (shen gong) and the breath (nei dan).

You can find more information and lots of very practical exercises in my teacher's book available in English!
http://www.amazon.com/Shen-Gong-Nei-Dan-Xuan/dp/1848192606

Fantastic! I didn't realise it was out. Purchasing now.
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:05 am

" but sparring and fighting are not the same thing at all", hmmm where have I heard that before? , thanks for the truth Serge, sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet you, I had seen some of your work on you tube long ago, it has long since been taken down, but I recognized it right away to be " the stuff ", glad you enjoyed my fair city. Cheers
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Jeremy on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 am

Hi everyone,

since I was there for the seminar, just a little review...
The guys could go through some aspects of the fighting arts such as control, distance, limb destruction and impact power.
They were also given basics to develop the grounding, connection and relaxation, these seemingly simple exercises that bring the qualities and make the techniques work...

Many thanks to 100kilos, Joseph and Rocky for being so motivated and open-minded despite their experience, this is how one can evolve!

Wanderingdragon: it was a real pleasure to meet and exchange with you!

Cheers

Jeremy
Jeremy
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:27 am

The same Jeremy :) always welcome , sorry you guys didn't show Serge our wonderful lakefront and south side hospitality. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get to Paris ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Arn on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:46 am

Hi
It`s fun to read all the comments from people who have met Serge. I have been training with him for some years now, and it is amazing how much knowledge he has, not only on martial arts, but so many other interesting aspects as well. It has changed and is changing my life for the better. When I first met Serge, my health was very poor and I had to undergo surgery both on my left knee and both my hips. Through this time he taught me how to remain training with all this difficulties. The surgons didn`t believe it was possible to be as "fit"/strong as I was due to the problems, and they where able to do surgery that normally shouldn`t be possible in my state. The bone structure was stronger than it should have been after so many years of limping on bad hips.
Before, during and after surgery I was given exercises by Serge to be able to train even when I was incapable of standing up on my two legs. And he also gave me a way to do Tai Chi on so to speak "ONE leg", to not put too much impact on the injured knee, after a knee operation I had some years ago. I trained everyday before and after surgery on my hips. Even Shen Gong as soon as the effect of the drugs stopped ;)
His martial art skills are awsome, but he has soo much more to give. I didn`t see that when I started. It is like a big chunk of ice floating in the water. There is the top that you can see, and then there is so much that is just hidden under the water. But it`s there! Just take a look and you will see!
It is rare to find someone who can still teach the internal martial arts. It is almost impossible to find. You would think "Does it exist?"
Yes, it does! It is so much MORE than you think it is!
And how can you get to it? How to get access to it?
When you find something like this, and the teacher is open and speaks fluent english and is a great teacher, actually know HOW to teach, then grab the opportunity because it is rare. If you don`t believe it, go and test it! Sometimes we don`t believe it because he is not chinese, and he is pretty young. You have to meet him and spend some time to understand.
We also have schools in Oslo Norway, Copenhagen Denmark, Hong Kong and London with Darren who is a good teacher and trusted student of Serge. But I would advice you to go and see Serge directly if you have the chance to do so!

Arn
Arn
Santi

Postby Bao on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks Arn for sharing and welcome to the forum. Interesting story. Welcome to Rookybobby as well.
Before reading this thread, I thought that Serge was a Systema fellow. Lol! Great thing this forum, always learning new things or correcting mistakes. Hope it will live long and prosper.
Thank you Serge as well for showing up, respect!
...Oslo, Paris or London. ...Not far away from where I live....
...And Paris is such a marvellous place on earth 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan