Current favourite Drill/practice

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Current favourite Drill/practice

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 am

Much of what is shown here, is what we use to test and develop an understanding
of what is called "triangle power"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJZ9iy2ZG0o

it works at the point of contact and involves understanding and seeing a triangle shape, with 2 lines being made from the bodies connection point.

the 3rd line formed in the mind. the part that is moved is the third line, or what might called the empty space.
The intent must be removed from the contact point. the empty space can be used to pull, push or throw.

in testing the partner should feel no direct force, their whole body should be affected in such a way that it seems to be one unit as shown in the clip.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:14 am

May I ask why you all are using the word 'Contextualizing'?

It's not really a word, at least in this context.

You realize that Chris McKinley started using it in the context of martial arts because it's 'acid in the eyes' or 'nails on the chalkboard' when used this way and it fits into his RBSD model to rattle people out of comfort zones.

But for an online forum, reading that word, is kind of like trying to read Wiesek's posts. >:(

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:23 am

Come on people, let's keep it "intellectually honest", ah, I remember the days of the McKinley-isms.... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 am

May I ask why you all are using the word 'Contextualizing'?

It's not really a word, at least in this context.

You realize that Chris McKinley started using it in the context of martial arts because it's 'acid in the eyes' or 'nails on the chalkboard' when used this way and it fits into his RBSD model to rattle people out of comfort zones.

But for an online forum, reading that word, is kind of like trying to read Wiesek's posts.

I dont remember that far back although i was around ... i sort of switched off.

I just used it to explain my idea of putting people out of comfort zones at the very start of a session then returning to more classical training to help them frame the method in something.

Apologies if the word offended! I will cease and desist!

So D_glenn, What two person stuff are you working on at the moment?
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:14 am

1. Silk reeling exercises of some kind
2. Generic circle walking wtih dragon on ground/snake creeps down (for lower Jiao) strength development as I am getting up there in age ;D the root is always the first sign of musculoskeletal decline
3. Jian drills with a weighted sword as opposed to a wooden one though through laziness, I use periodically. Good from maintaining waist/wrist/forearm 'strength and flexibility.
4. Some basic exercises that I remember from former TKD practice.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:02 am

Black and Decker. To the kneecaps.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am

windwalker wrote:Much of what is shown here, is what we use to test and develop an understanding

it works at the point of contact and involves understanding and seeing a triangle shape, with 2 lines being made from the bodies connection point.

the 3rd line formed in the mind. the part that is moved is the third line, or what might called the empty space.
The intent must be removed from the contact point. the empty space can be used to pull, push or throw.

in testing the partner should feel no direct force, their whole body should be affected in such a way that it seems to be one unit as shown in the clip.

So, to mix our topics here, can this theory be used to strike someone as well? And could I ask for a little more explanation?
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 am

kenneth fish wrote:Black and Decker. To the kneecaps.

Dr Fish ladies and gentlemen! He'll be here all week with two shows on Saturday!
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:11 pm

middleway wrote:I dont remember that far back although i was around ... i sort of switched off.

I just used it to explain my idea of putting people out of comfort zones at the very start of a session then returning to more classical training to help them frame the method in something.

Apologies if the word offended! I will cease and desist!

I think that was his intention, he introduced that RBSD word back in 2009 and hoped that it would be picked up by your subconscious. Then down the road he claims you stole it.

I don't care if you use the word in his made-up manner, or not.

But, personally I think a word like Acclimate or acclimatize your fighting skills for combat, etc., is better as it's not a distorted meaning. But what do I know.

It just makes me chuckle when a Mckinleyism goes mainstream.

So D_glenn, What two person stuff are you working on at the moment?

I think that our basic Grinding Arms two-person drills are great. They address so many different things and make better use of one's time - use and test whole body strength, strengthen both people's Exterior Dantian, test the Chan Si Jin capabilties of both people, require a full range of whole body moving as 1 unit and not just isolated movements, both people benefit from the drills at all times, can be turned into a type of competition, the list goes on. Rather than doing a multitude of different drills or tests, these simple drills can condense a lot of stuff into one.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm

allen2saint wrote:So, to mix our topics here, can this theory be used to strike someone as well? And could I ask for a little more explanation?

Not to answer for WW, but we use a lot of geometric shapes in my practice as well.

1. Try to focus the force right inside in the Laogong point when you strike with the fist. Also try to focus to strike with this point, not with the muscles. You can add a new "layer" to this method and imagine a triangle inside your palm, just as in the posted clip, so you get a clean line of attack. This will be like hitting a nail or pressing in a needle in a perfectly straight line. I showed this method for a Hung Gar teacher. He was impressed that this focus could make his punch even stronger (as he already punched very, very hard. His fist hurt good right through a sturdy kicking protection) and thanked me by teaching me a few "internal" Hung Gar methods.

2. You have explanations in countless of throws and qinna. In SC, you often aim to put the opponent's balance off in a 45 degree manner, or in qinna, adding pressure on an arm in a 45 degree manner. The key or "secret" to countless of methods that CMA people practice regularly or even on an everyday basis is in the arrangement of structure in clean shapes of triangles. Why people lean in forms is because a pyramid is a stronger shape than that of a flag pole. (I know that WW does not agree with me on leaning. ;) ). The theory of triangles is not strange or mystical, but sometimes it can sound mystical if you don't consider the very physical, scientific reality behind it.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm

allen2saint wrote:
windwalker wrote:Much of what is shown here, is what we use to test and develop an understanding

So, to mix our topics here, can this theory be used to strike someone as well? And could I ask for a little more explanation?

What it deals with is the contact point, being able to exploit it and use it at first contact.
"can it be used to strike someone as well" ?

What he does is empty a space by blending and balancing it, then use the emptiness to cause the other to move.
It deals with developing and understanding how emptiness can be a force in itself and to think and use the mind body in a different way.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trip on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm

middleway wrote:...Have a partner REALLY try to blast through your centre with as much force as they need (like a rugby tackle, shot, whatever they want to use) Can be to take down or just to run you backwards. I mean they put full force in ... 100%. No striking...

I wrote about a similar practice awhile back on another site.

In my early days, I couldn't get enough practice. No matter how long I would go, or if I was the one getting thrown over and over, I still wanted more. And it was hard to keep people to practice with. There was a limit to how many times a person would want to be thrown. It's a little different today. But, back then, that meant as the years go by that would mean less people to play with.

I decided to try something new. To lure partners, I would tell people to attempt to throw me down, attack me in any manner they wanted. I would not attack. I would make an effort to practice Taiji principles of sticking and not resisting: moving in a way that I could stay on my feet, balanced.

The person attacking would have so much fun trying to throw me down they would break out in laughter. Because they were having fun, they would continue for quite a while.
It gave me great pleasure and tons of practice and confidence against the most unusual of attacks.

Also, it allowed my friends who had no training to play with me without hurting them.
And I noticed they seemed to have laugh out loud fun.
This was especially useful with my female friends who had no training.

Just before they would fall or when their balance was upset, they would let out an unconscious giggle.
I started to listen for this unconscious giggle against the most competitive of opponents.

After a while, allowing others to do what they wanted, I could easily practice roll back, ward-off or whatever technique that fit the bill and everyone would have fun.

With this alternative practice, I felt like that line in the classics; I know the opponent but the opponent does not know me.
Trip
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:29 pm

know that WW does not agree with me on leaning. ;)

;) maybe , maybe not.

dglenn, posted some things on inner and outer alignments.
Once the outer ones are understood and the inner ones developed, then what some might call leaning
in no longer leaning.

This expresses my feelings well

You mustn’t mislead by shapes. You shouldn’t make shapes a habit. It may look good to others, but an artificially created shape is one that is dead.
Jiujutsu should never be done through shape alone. All the techniques would be come useless. Change is most important. This is how it is done at my place. I show one shape that represents a principle, but it can be adjusted to fit the situation.
"Meeting with Takeda Soukakube "
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm

middleway wrote:Lets here some of the current two person training that your enthused about

In order of preference with favourite at top:

- sparring (mma gloves) including safe striking (no groin or trying to kill your partner but almost everything goes) including grappling (throws and safe locks/submissions). Other variations - grappling standing, grappling off knees. Done in rounds of 3-5 minutes with rotations against different partners of different sizes for 8-10 rounds is the optimal.

- technique exchange and evolution ie what if you were in this situation/position

- staple technique repetition - defenses , counters, escapes, finishes, throws etc.

- pad work

- structure testing

- Two man body impact conditioning (arms, chest, shoulder, lats, gut, inside and outisde thigh). Never fun but very useful.

- Doing the 5 element 2 man linking form is also great when a fast flow happens
Last edited by dspyrido on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:54 pm

windwalker wrote:
know that WW does not agree with me on leaning. ;)

;) maybe , maybe not.

dglenn, posted some things on inner and outer alignments.
Once the outer ones are understood and the inner ones developed, then what some might call leaning
in no longer leaning.

If there is a physical application that is based on a physical movement, sometimes there must be physical angles. Can you do a hip throw without physically leaning?
And as in the vid with the seminar on triangles, there are physical angles that make up a certain geometrical shape. It's not all in the mind. The saying is "mind lead the body". It's not "mind lead mind" or "with mind you don't need body". You need both.

This expresses my feelings well
You mustn’t mislead by shapes. You shouldn’t make shapes a habit. It may look good to others, but an artificially created shape is one that is dead.
Jiujutsu should never be done through shape alone. All the techniques would be come useless. Change is most important. This is how it is done at my place. I show one shape that represents a principle, but it can be adjusted to fit the situation.
"Meeting with Takeda Soukakube "

IMHO, this quote has very little to do with the discussion.
With is meant here by shape is "appearance". It's about not creating an appearance for the sake of surface, but understanding the meaning of shape.
" I show one shape that represents a principle, but it can be adjusted to fit the situation." It's still a shape, a physical one that can be shown, not an imaginary one.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan