The absurdity of Single Whip

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The absurdity of Single Whip

Postby willywrong on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:15 pm

bruce wrote:
willywrong wrote:

I've always had a classical opponent in front of me, behind me, above me, below me, whenever I practised the classical form. The sophistication of my response has only been limited by my ability to keep my imagination within the realms of physical possibility (physics). :)

that makes me think about the importance of testing each of the form postures options with stepping in "8" directions. its an idea in progress lol.

The real secret of the good methods of martial arts defence not agnostic engagements is in the ability to change direction using circularity. Most people are not trained in this degree of footwork. There was a time in my training that when I finished 3 or 4 hours of going through my forms I would then spend an hour or so on going through the forms with just footwork to check position and grounding. I also would practice forward walking as in brush knee twist step, step back repulse monkey and clown hands both ways. Imho the art will not become embedded in the marrow of one's bones without this type of training. All the forms have useful function embedded in them and it's only a matter of training them to the point of usefulness following the principles laid down by past masters. Sometimes what doesn't make sense and only makes sense after long practice (good tea takes a bit of brewing). :)
willywrong

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Sometimes what doesn't make sense and only makes sense after long practice (good tea takes a bit of brewing). :)

The bitter tea is often what's best, but it's the kind that you don't want to drink.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Steve James wrote:
Sometimes what doesn't make sense and only makes sense after long practice (good tea takes a bit of brewing). :)

The bitter tea is often what's best, but it's the kind that you don't want to drink.

It's the tea you drink before you get to the sweet tea. :D
willywrong

Postby Michael on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Are we taking turns?

You must empty thine cup of sweetness and drink the bitter knowledge of dan bian.
Michael

Postby willywrong on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Michael wrote:Are we taking turns?

You must empty thine cup of sweetness and drink the bitter knowledge of dan bian.

Are you joining the New Year circle jerk club too. :D
willywrong

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan