Systems Comparison - Fu, Zhu, Huang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Systems Comparison - Fu, Zhu, Huang

Postby Andy_S on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Can't speak for the others, but Zhu was my first Taiji master-level instructor (Jingwu Association, Malaysia, 1995-6)

Pros:
Zhu is a very nice man, and very open
Really nice set of 18 neigong (teaching expand compress, opening and closing) though as they were not explained to me at the time ("just do it") it took me years to work out what they were really for.
Lot's of silk reeling and form training.
Unlike many other Taiji styles, Chen has fajing training built into its curriculum - both in the forms and the weapons (notably, pole and spear).
He will show you the applications if you really want them.

Cons
Just a little bit of PH, mostly the set variants.
No fight training - no competitive tuisa or sansau - that I ever saw
No self-defense drilling or training that I ever saw
Zhu lives and teaches largely in Singapore, where there is little demand for combative material

In sum: If you want to learn a good IMA, Zhu has the material - hell, just watching him move is educational. But AFAIK, he does not teach much of anything that is fight-related.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 pm

In my experience, teachers teach less material the longer they teach, in general. I wonder if Zhu teaches the same material now as before?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Ed:

I would imagine they teach the full Chen curriculum. Once people are fed up with yet another seminar on silk reeling or laojia first form, is big money in a seminar on (say) the double sabers or the 42-fajin form (which was designed simply as a demo form in the 1970s).

Funnily enough, my own practice in recent years is much more back-to-basics than learning new material. Last time I met some of my juniors (at a demo last year) they were surprised by the small amount of stuff I was practicing, compared to the endless weapons, double weapons, paired weapons forms they had all been learning.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am

Oh, if he is teaching seminars, then no doubt! You can't deny the draw of something like double sabers, glaive, or the like... but after, say, 10 years of this and no gongfu, you do start to wonder!

Still, Malaysian and Singaporean peeps are quite lucky to have Zhu nearby to learn from!

(Although, I wonder if Zhu had his shared of bullying as a kid - being named "Genius" is kind of asking for it!)
Last edited by edededed on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Andy which chin Wu did zhu teach in
Or did he teach in each of them
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby leifeng on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 pm

In sum: If you want to learn a good IMA, Zhu has the material - hell, just watching him move is educational. But AFAIK, he does not teach much of anything that is fight-related.

Do any of the village masters teach anything fight-related systematically?
Last edited by leifeng on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Pennykid on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply, Andy. Based on what you have written, a Zhu disciple would most likely not have what I'm looking for.
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:41 am

Wayne:

Zhu was imported by the Singapore Chin Woo Assoc, and he also taught all over Malaysia - I trained under him in KL in 95. The Sing Chin Woo had first bought over Chen Xiaowang (I think this wa the first time he left PRC) but had a big issue with him over financial matters. When that fell through, they invited Zhu over,. He is a very nice chap, and is still there to this day.

Laifang:

Chen Zhiqiang loves fighting and is all about teaching the standup wrassling. I understand taht the Wang brothers are also pretty combative, and perhaps some fo the Huleijia people.

But it is perfectly possible for someone to learn Chen Village Taiji for 20++ years and get NOTHING martial, as the masters are perfectly happy teaching endless forms if studetns are satisfied with that. So a lot depends on what you ask for.

This of course is probably true across the wider Taijiscape where very, very few people are combative, and even of thoe who are, many are utterly clueless. In fact, the only Taiji group that I have encountered that is outright martial from day one - combat is built into their curriculum whether the student likes it or nor - is Dan Docherty's.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Pennykid on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Earlier in this thread I stated that "Meeks has forgotten most of the Yang he learned" and today he made it a point to inform me he has not. He couldn't perfectly pull it out of his memory back when I had asked him about it but he could bring it all back if he really wanted to.
I don't want to misrepresent Dave's knowledge and credentials. His taiji still exists in case anyone is wondering.
Pennykid
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan