Docherty Style Tai Chi and Health

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Docherty Style Tai Chi and Health

Postby allen2saint on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 am

Niall thanks. This thread is turning out some master's level stuff.

I guess my next mission is locating someone in the NYC area who can teach this.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 am

Does the book have the 24 Neigong exercises? this thread was not clear about that. any links to the 24 exercises would be great.
neijia_boxer

Postby Niall Keane on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 pm

The book only lists them. They are inside inside the door methods. Its a quality control thing.... Not a bad idea considering the depths much of public domain tai chi has sunk to?

They have been taught to sincere individuals from other styles from time to time. Some from stlyes that had lost some or all of them. Though this is not publically broadcast in detail. They keep them just as "secret", perhaps more so?
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Niall Keane wrote:The book only lists them. They are inside inside the door methods. Its a quality control thing.... Not a bad idea considering the depths much of public domain tai chi has sunk to?

They have been taught to sincere individuals from other styles from time to time. Some from stlyes that had lost some or all of them. Though this is not publically broadcast in detail. They keep them just as "secret", perhaps more so?

It's not bad showing them. No one learns from a book anyway. Only people who knows and have practice similar exercises well can benefit from descriptions in a book. The only reason to not show them or describe them in more detail would be if they were meant to be used as parlour tricks, for show and demonstrations. The glare would disappear if people know how simple, for instance, the Shaolin tricks and other MA show stuff are. If the methods indeed were "the real deal", the art would benefit a lot from openness and demystification.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Niall Keane on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Bao wrote:
Niall Keane wrote:The book only lists them. They are inside inside the door methods. Its a quality control thing.... Not a bad idea considering the depths much of public domain tai chi has sunk to?

It's not bad showing them. No one learns from a book anyway. Only people who knows and have practice similar exercises well can benefit from descriptions in a book. The only reason to not show them or describe them in more detail would be if they were meant to be used as parlour tricks, for show and demonstrations. The glare would disappear if people know how simple, for instance, the Shaolin tricks and other MA show stuff are. If the methods indeed were "the real deal", the art would benefit a lot from openness and demystification.

I lost you there for a second as the methods are never demoed or put on show... I guess you refer to the jump test thing, its a side effect, not an exercise, its not " practiced " .
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 pm

I think Neil Rosiak went a fair way to demystifying them in the article I linked, and I don't know anyone who claims they are mystical, just good efficient practical training exercises for martial arts, specifically TCC .

Dan has claimed they are more important than form - I agree, but..... There's a lot of TCC stuff more important than hand form! I'd go o far as to say the "internal" cannot be learned from hand form, as many seem to believe, or at least not in an efficient way - it would take decades of morning to night practice to do the same number of reps to condition the body and mind.

If we consider a child learning to use a pen...
Child A writes out the alphabet a-z three times a day
Child B takes say 12 letters the ones whose form is common throughout the alphabet and they write out each one 111 times every day.
Who is going to be proficient faster?

All these things are just training methods, tools, we need to chose the right one for the job.

For some like myself TCC is not the drills but the fighting - as such I want to programme myself with TCC movement, tactics and application so that it is automaticly my response.
For others TCC is leisure or light exercise - there is no need for them to condition their martial responses and reflexes, hand form alone is plenty.

Like boxing and boxercise.

A boxer will spend his life repeating and perfecting his movements his weapons - on the other hand the desperate housewives don't need to be perfect or anything close to it in execution, and they don't and won't develop the mental stamina to stick at a relatively monotonous task they will be much happier being given various combos to play at, preferable a new one every class?
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Niall I read your attachment again it is excellent
I have sent it to my students who know this set
For those who want a rough outline of the first 4
The are in matack chias iron body book
I am not recommending his book or training just saying they are there for reference
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm

I lost you there for a second as the methods are never demoed or put on show... I guess you refer to the jump test thing, its a side effect, not an exercise, its not " practiced " .

Ok, I hear you. Understood. I only said "if".
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Niall Keane on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Niall I read your attachment again it is excellent
I have sent it to my students who know this set
e

Its Neil Rosiak who wrote the article and yea its pretty thorough! :-)
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Sorry about the mix up Neil /Niall
I don't speak celtic
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Just curious if anyone has seen this and if it compares?

I get from this discussion, which I appreciate, that this will have to be something I learn from someone. I think my past teacher knew it, but only taught it to a very few students...who all kicked our asses cause we didn't have it.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:52 pm

allen2saint wrote:Image

Just curious if anyone has seen this and if it compares?

I get from this discussion, which I appreciate, that this will have to be something I learn from someone. I think my past teacher knew it, but only taught it to a very few students...who all kicked our asses cause we didn't have it.

haven't seen the book, but the cover posture doesn't compare to any in the 24 Nei Gung.
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:54 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Sorry about the mix up Neil /Niall
I don't speak celtic

ceart go leor a chara ;D
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm

The only Celtic I know is
Pogue mahone
Did I get that right
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 am

wayne hansen wrote:The only Celtic I know is
Pogue mahone
Did I get that right

póg mo thóin technically but both are understood ;-)
Niall Keane
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan