Docherty Style Tai Chi and Health

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Docherty Style Tai Chi and Health

Postby allen2saint on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 am

I have been spending some time with Dan Docherty's Tai Chi book and have been intrigued by the little asides about the health benefits, as they are very specific. I wondered if anyone had access to any more in-depth resources on this subject? I am rebuilding after years of being out of committed, daily training and I think accessing some of the health benefits would be a good way to condition myself and "pre-habilitate" before I get back to the hard core stuff.

Any ideas are fine. Thanks.
allen2saint
Wuji

Re: Docherty Style Tai Chi and Health

Postby yeniseri on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 pm

My experience is that the health benefits are specific to the individual providing the 'gong" (frequency x intensity x duration) has been accomplished.
I would recommend doing a PubMed search for the aforementioned objective benefits and then see where you fall in, or perhaps incorporating the objective elements with what you already know.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Most tai chi lineages teach some sort of health exercises to go along with the from - frankly if you just want to condition yourself then these are usually your best bet...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I love simple tests in such situation
pistols and pull ups
if my ability arising, my gong is good
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 pm

I was surprised that the book was so specific. It sounded as if either it was an emphasis in the lineage or that Sifu Docherty had done a lot of work in the area. Stuff like raising the arm over the head increasing circulation makes a lot of sense so I was just curious if there were sources that had deeper explanations of the ideas, etc

Thanks for all suggestions, though. It's gonna be a long, slow road but it'll be worth it. My girl is training with me and she can hit harder than most guys I know.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 pm

i think tai chi for specific health benifits is more about branding than reality
just train on a regular basis and health will come
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I agree that tai-chi chuan of any authentic traditional style is beneficial to lasting good health when practiced properly and consistently over time. -shrug-
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:46 am

Wayne/Doc
+1
AllanF

Postby allen2saint on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:02 am

wayne hansen wrote:i think tai chi for specific health benifits is more about branding than reality
just train on a regular basis and health will come

Have you seen the book? Because his comments are very specific for something that's "branding."
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:52 am

allen2saint wrote:.......Stuff like raising the arm over the head increasing circulation makes a lot of sense so I was just curious if there were sources that had deeper explanations of the ideas, etc

This is more of a neigong method (process) than a "taijiquan" one but at one time (based on the 'older Yang" a la Wang Lanting/Li style and others) where raising the hand beyond the present modern only form method, is far more positive because of a wider ROM along with "invigorating the jingluo" (general process/principle within flexion, extension, adduction and abduction in a 'form' sequence.
If youo really examine the modern form only movement, everything is 'straight line" and no room for 'deviation'!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks, yeniseri. If this is "neigong" are there any good documents in this kind of thing? Books or otherwise? It's a weakness in my approach for sure
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 pm

I have not read the book
However have practiced the 12 internal and 12 external
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 am

Docherty is a very strong believer in the 12 yin and 12 yang neigong exercises which are, I believe, specific to his Taiji. (Though they exist in some other CMA, apparently.) In fact, he maintains that, as a daily practice, they are more important than the Taiji form.

When I met him, he had a pretty impressive physique and some of his students seem to have a similar look. Not a body builder's bod, but a thick, powerful looking torso.

Perhaps Wayne, who (I think) trained under Docherty's teacher, Cheng Tin-hung, will add more...?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 am

He said as much in the book. He added these comments as asides about specific movements in the form, which is why I believed this was something more to do with the form itself. I have never heard of such detail for each movement, so I was curious if this was codified anywhere.
Last edited by allen2saint on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 am

Would it violate any kind of rights or etiquette if I posted a scan of one page as an example?
allen2saint
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan