Training less for better results

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Training less for better results

Postby Aged Tiger on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:53 pm

fuga wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:Wilson told me (now that I am 38) you can get the same results as a younger guy by training less.

As an older competitive athlete, I find that I need to train less. Too many hard training days in a row depletes the tank - meaning sloppy technique and injuries from being exhausted. I really need the recovery time to get the most out of my training.

-pete

You hit the nail on the head. As we get older, we need more recovery time. Pride needs to be left at the door.
perfect practice is the secret....
Famous Quote: "You Bagua look like wounded duck on butter"
Aged Tiger
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Although even for me it's hard to believe, I am convinced that as we get older we should focus more on technique and less on competition.

I say hard to accept because there is still apart of me that thinks lots of sparring is the key. Perhaps that works too but I've noticed that even boxers spend most of their time outside of the ring and I hear even in Thailand pros spar lighter than Americans because the Thais compete so much they can't risk the injuries.

I've found you can't go wrong with focusing on proper technique.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:36 pm

gzregorz wrote:Although even for me it's hard to believe, I am convinced that as we get older we should focus more on technique and less on competition.

Greg,

I agree with you in principle but as someone who did not compete when I was younger, I am learning valuable lessons by competing. And most of those lessons are on the mental side, rather than the physical side. Hard to simulate that kind of mental laboratory in the gym against the regular training partners.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Having trained with consistent self-discipline since 12 years of age, I definitely don't need to train as intensely to maintain athletic and technical skills as I did to acquire them, but continue to train with comparable intensity to expand existing skills to the next higher level.

Recovery time is essentially the same now as it ever was, since my overall physical fitness and body weight has remained basically the same since my teen years.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

^^Just make sure you're training for "real violence"...as opposed to fake violence. LOL!
Chris Fleming

Postby gzregorz on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks Pete,

But that wasn't directed at you. In fact what I am saying actually fits in with you're doing already. I am not saying don't compete, I am saying don't compete everyday as I've already explained about muay thai in Thailand, just enjoy the process.

Just to clarify, in terms of BJJ that would mean work on the areas you're weak at so they become your strengths. In highly competitive gyms this is hard to do because sometimes you are going to lose. But if you're not overly competitive who cares? You're still getting better. I just tapped out a one of our top competitors this morning who is preparing for the pan ams and I haven't rolled all week but I have trained four times working on my technique.

Anyway that's how I train less for better results. I hope to hear more from others on the subject.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:^^Just make sure you're training for "real violence"...as opposed to fake violence. LOL!

Roger that. Keepin' it real. ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Recovery time

This is why I was plugging the Yin Yoga stuff. There is an expression that if your legs hurt when you go to bed at night and they still hurt when you get up in the morning, you are on your way to developing taiji (or xingyi, etc.) gongfu. Well, I took that line for a long time. Eventually, though, I discovered that I would have more effective and enjoyable morning practices if my legs weren't sore. There are ways to achieve this. You can circumvent a lot of the recovery process through qigong and yoga. In the long run, I think the real future of IMA in an MMA environment is as a low-intensity restorative (i.e. as qigong), for ring fighters who are tired of having to sleep off their rest days. My friend, an IMA guy, got in a conversation with a BJJ guy:

BJJ guy: "Yeah, maybe there's something to qi in IMA, but it hasn't got anything to do with fighting."
Friend: "OK, sure. But what about when you get injured? Because you will get injured. What about your qi then?"

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Recovery time is essentially the same now as it ever was, since my overall physical fitness and body weight has remained basically the same since my teen years.

My recovery time is getting worse. Every injury will take me more than 3X amount of time to recover.

Doc,

Are you going to next Saturday Austin tournament? Since I don't have anybody to compete, I haven't decide whether I should go or not.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm

I've found the slow form is good for recovering from injuries.

Also pacing yourself in class is important. On days of intense training, for example 500 sit ups or something, I aim for consistency over going all out. Not so much because of age but so I can save my energy for other stuff we do in class.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:29 pm

johnwang wrote:Doc,

Are you going to next Saturday Austin tournament? Since I don't have anybody to compete, I haven't decide whether I should go or not.

John:

Yes, I plan on attending the tournament in Temple next Saturday. You should come, too. Would be good to see you again!
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 am

make plan 1st!
which cover your aim
it can be short and/or long term
in weekly schedule:
speed and technicall staff on the beggining
power/strenght/ enurance before day off
just think :)