Swimming Dragon's Combat Potential?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Swimming Dragon's Combat Potential?

Postby Bhassler on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Shooter wrote:Would it be possible to develop Bagua fighting method based solely on what's contained in the Swimming Dragon material?

I did a quick search around the forums but didn't find much in the way of in-depth info, so I wanted to ask the Bagua folks what they think.

Does Swimming Dragon contain enough info to stand alone as a basic stand-up fighting method, or would it require supplimentary material to make it so?

If it does contain enough info, how soon could a trainee begin testing their learning in sportive formats?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts

tia

Shooter,

What kind of info is necessary to create a basic fighting method in general? From a mechanical standpoint, even basic walking (ordinary walking, not bagua walking) contains segmented movement of the spine in all planes and sufficient transmission of force to and from the limbs to be expanded into a fighting method, and probably the same could be said for almost any well constructed whole body movement. So given that some people can fight and some cannot, one might argue that physical movements alone do not a fighter make. So then I would ask what other elements need be present, and how do you judge whether a set of movements/exercises engenders those qualities or not?

My understanding is that you've helped people to work up personal combat methods from some pretty mundane movements, and you're no stranger to approaching things from a conceptual or even spiritual direction and making it functional in the really real world, so I'm curious what you look for or look at when you come across a new movement system and evaluate it for combative function.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:01 pm

lazyboxer wrote:There are many types of dragon baguazhang from different lines, including Yin Fu's:

Though I've seen this described as longxing bagua youshen zhang (龙形八卦游身掌), it's nothing like any of the Cheng family variations, and doesn't conform to D. Glenn's requirements for true swimming body. It's a lot smoother and subtler than most, however, and certainly contains plenty of material on which to base a complete fighting art, particularly since it's part of a much larger curriculum.

I'm curious what my "requirements for true swimming body" are?

There is no requirement that it be done when practicing dragon shape or is it specific to any particular animal shape or body-method. One could for example do Phoenix forms in the 'youshen' manner of practice, or not.

Nice clip though. I wasn't aware that Yang Kun would call it the dragon shape because AFAIK his was more of a 'Chuan zhang' with a blend of everything.

At 1:33 you can see Yang Kun himself. I like his movements, and you can tell he had 'it'.

(The kid in the beginning is one of Xie's student's: Lao Er doing yin style Dragon, the second guy is doing upper basin posture yinstyle Dragon then middle basin.)

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Shooter: I'm guessing you mean a specific swimming dragon form within a branch of Cheng style, since Cheng and Gao styles both have that as one of their routines and they are supplementary to the eight big palms in each system.
The swimming dragon routine in Cheng style is a combination of various aspects of the sixty four palm routine taught by Cheng Youxin. I would stipulate that it should certainly be possible to develop a curriculum based on that routine, but one would have to also pay attention to important basics such as circle walking, zhan zhuang, and jibengong, because otherwise there would be no foundation and it would be very hard to learn how to generate force.
BTW: all IMO and YMMV and what not :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:48 am

It seems that perhaps Shooter should explain what he is referring to by "the swimming dragon material" ("youshen" methods? Certain routine? Other set of methods?) - then we can discuss this :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:22 am

edededed wrote:It seems that perhaps Shooter should explain what he is referring to by "the swimming dragon material" ("youshen" methods? Certain routine? Other set of methods?) - then we can discuss this :D

He already did that:

Shooter wrote:I was under the impression that swimming dragon was a subset or 'peripheral' body of material that supplemented the core material.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:45 am

In Gau there is 'black dragon waves its tail' not certain if its the same thing. I think you could work on that alone for ages and extract loads of uses out of it
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby meeks on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:45 am

edededed wrote:It seems that perhaps Shooter should explain what he is referring to by "the swimming dragon material" ("youshen" methods? Certain routine? Other set of methods?) - then we can discuss this :D

oops - watch out...there's a difference between the concept of swimming body (you shen) and form called swimming dragon (you long). Have to keep that in mind when reading this thread...the original question was about the form called swimming dragon.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby meeks on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:48 am

At 1:33 you can see Yang Kun himself. I like his movements, and you can tell he had 'it'.

Yang Kun - VERY COOL to see that. I'm going to have to remember his name - thoroughly enjoyed watching his minute or 2 of display. thanks!
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:05 pm

lazyboxer wrote:There are many types of dragon baguazhang from different lines, including Yin Fu's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPViYhbmTWY

Though I've seen this described as longxing bagua youshen zhang (龙形八卦游身掌), it's nothing like any of the Cheng family variations, and doesn't conform to D. Glenn's requirements for true swimming body. It's a lot smoother and subtler than most, however, and certainly contains plenty of material on which to base a complete fighting art, particularly since it's part of a much larger curriculum.

The video only says 唐振生-尹式八卦掌 Tang Zhensheng - Yin style Baguazhang: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTA3MTkyNDg=.html

Not Dragon form. Not that Yang Kun didn't know or do the 8 animals. There's another student of Yang's who seems to have a deeper knowledge of his style, it's a real blend of all the animals and 'chuan zhang' penetrating palms, with more emphasis on the Lion and Qilin. In the clip I posted you can see his use of chuan and the 'na' (grasping), zhuang (rushing).

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:05 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
lazyboxer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPViYhbmTWY

I'm curious what my "requirements for true swimming body" are?

There is no requirement that it be done when practicing dragon shape or is it specific to any particular animal shape or body-method. One could for example do Phoenix forms in the 'youshen' manner of practice, or not.

Nice clip though. I wasn't aware that Yang Kun would call it the dragon shape because AFAIK his was more of a 'Chuan zhang' with a blend of everything.

Thanks for your observations. Perhaps my post was unclear - the longxing/dragon title came from another Chinese post of this clip (which seems to have disappeared), not from Yang Kun. I didn't agree that the description fitted, and said as much.

You said: "In the whole of Baguazhang the term 'youshen' (swimming body) refers to literally practicing one's movements as if they were in a pool of water up to their neck and every part of every movement is going against a constant force. This is practicing a form to develop 'shuai' (throwing)."

I thought that was crystal-clear and very interesting. It's not a new idea to me, and makes more sense than what "youshen" is generally understood to mean - i.e. any fluid, smooth and continuous action, usually applied to a performance style rather than a method. Zheng Manqing was an advocate of the "swimming in air" idea in his 1950s book, and I spent a fair bit of time practising bagua and taiji in swimming pools, which was fun.
D_Glenn wrote:The video only says 唐振生-尹式八卦掌 Tang Zhensheng - Yin style Baguazhang: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTA3MTkyNDg=.html

Not Dragon form. Not that Yang Kun didn't know or do the 8 animals. There's another student of Yang's who seems to have a deeper knowledge of his style, it's a real blend of all the animals and 'chuan zhang' penetrating palms, with more emphasis on the Lion and Qilin. In the clip I posted you can see his use of chuan and the 'na' (grasping), zhuang (rushing).

Yes, it's not Dragon form, although it's got some dragon elements in it. It's the same clip I posted on Youtube, where I've now dropped the 'dragon' in the title - my bad :-[

I only knew about Yang Kun's chuan zhang, and so was pleasantly surprised to find the clip of Tang Zhensheng, whose shenfa I admire and like. He studied with Yang Kun from 1972, so was well placed to know what his art was about. I thought there was so much to see and learn from it, though probably not for a beginner, that I thought it offered a good example of a basis for an effective fighting system - which is how this post started.

Btw, you said "Not that Yang Kun didn't know or do the 8 animals". Could you please elaborate on this?
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. This has been very informative so far. Much appreciated.

Thanks, Mix, that's what I had in mind, I guess. ;D I haven't had a chance to look around the web for clips or more info.

I do have some questions but bhassler crushed my brain so that'll have to wait.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm

I made a comment about the Swimming Dragon material in regard to its compatibility to a free-form, principles-based approach to a fighting method compared to the more classic "xing" of most of the Baguazhang material in a post to Shooter on the Why didn't Bagua get Taiji-fied thread. I waited to chime in on this thread just to see what everybody else's take on the material was. So far, the closest thing I've seen written to what I was taught of the material is the following by D_Glenn:

"The Cheng Tinghua school of Bagua called itself the 'Youshen Longxing Baguazhang' (swimming body dragon shape bagua) and in this case everything they do falls under the category 'swimming dragon'. (so if you're asking if this style is or can be a stand-alone system? Yes definitely. All you need is it's 8 methods (ba neng) of push, lift, carry, lead, move, capture, chop, and entering (tui, tou, dai, ling, ban, kou, pi, and jin).)

Some branches of that line now have a specific form which they call 'swimming body' of which there are numerous varieties."

It does indeed depend upon which branch one is considering as to how distinct the material is. Many lines don't even have a separate body of material under this moniker and, from what I've seen, not even all Cheng and Cheng sub-branches do. However, the Swimming Dragon material I'm referring to is not only a separate set of movements, its mechanics are also distinctly different than the classical material.

While it might be accurately said that all of a practitioner's movement in the Cheng lines especially ought to have a certain expressive quality that one might refer to as being like a swimming dragon, it isn't the same thing as referring to the separate material set itself. In deeper practices of Taoist and Vedic medicine, it is known that not only is there a 'mother' dantien, the one being referred to in almost all such discussions on RSF, but there are actually many dantiens throughout the body. For instance, every single joint in the body is considered a dantien itself. Movement in the mechanics of classical Bagua originates with mother dantien just as we are all used to. However, movement in the Swimming Dragon material does not, necessarily. In the SD material, movement can originate from any dantien, so long as it connects to the mother at some point. The more peripheral the dantien which originates the movement, the 'weaker' it's power is said to be. However, it is also conversely believed to be freer and gives the practitioner far more maneuverability than the more classical "all as one" model. Such movement can also be considerably faster, from a biomechanical perspective.

IOW, it's a bit of a tradeoff. Faster response and higher maneuverability in trade for stronger connection and structure, and greater overall power generation. The SD material is described as more Yang.....more separate, more fiery, more distinct.....while the classical mechanics are relatively more Yin....more connected, more inclusive, more of a whole. This is why, IMO, the highest combat potential in the art is that which blends the two sets of mechanics together seamlessly. Not an easy task, I can assure from personal experience.

In some ways, especially at first, the SD mechanics seem to be at odds, even nearly opposite, that which is taught in classical neijia structure and mechanics. I suppose that's even fair enough to say. Eventually, really developing the ability to do both provides a deeper functional understanding of each, IMO and IME. I probably wouldn't recommend trying to learn both concurrently as I could imagine it might only serve to confuse the student's somatic learning.

The movement sets in the SD I was taught are distinct and very short compared to the patterns of pre-heaven classical Bagua. More like shorter Gao-style hou tien (just my impression) and very much like the tien gan exercises. In fact, the tien gan also contain a Swimming Dragon version of their expression which is notably different than what they look like with classical mechanics. Whether the same is true of the hou tien sets or not I cannot say and was not taught, though in keeping with what is said of the SD mechanics in general, I would think that the idea is that all of Baguazhang's material can be expressed that way if one so chooses. Just my suspicion on that, though....I would have to defer to Luo or one of his senior students to answer that definitively.

Like all Baguazhang, the movements exhibit certain principle traits, and some lend themselves more obviously to certain applications than others, but the mechanics are very much worth exploring, especially for someone wanting to develop a more free-form rou shou feel to their combative ability with the art.

Can an entire fighting method be trained from just those sets? I suppose so, yeah....though you'd definitely be missing out on a lot of what makes classical Bagua so great....the structure, the connection, the whole-body coils, etc. Certainly, one could far more easily develop combative ability much faster with just the SD sets than nearly anything in classical Bagua, but it would be an incomplete shortcut ultimately, IMO.
Chris McKinley

Postby BruceP on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Bhassler wrote:What kind of info is necessary to create a basic fighting method in general? From a mechanical standpoint, even basic walking (ordinary walking, not bagua walking) contains segmented movement of the spine in all planes and sufficient transmission of force to and from the limbs to be expanded into a fighting method, and probably the same could be said for almost any well constructed whole body movement. So given that some people can fight and some cannot, one might argue that physical movements alone do not a fighter make. So then I would ask what other elements need be present, and how do you judge whether a set of movements/exercises engenders those qualities or not?

Do not a fighter make, indeed. The most important element is the individual and what they bring in terms of their current athleticism and movement skills, and most importantly, their percieved role in conflict. To my thinking, that perception is where personal combat begins.

That someone engages a fighty pursuit already predetermines the context in which the overall training is assimilated. I think it's important to eliminate the usual mentality that's fostered when combative contexts are the premise of one's training, because in an environement of intuitive learning a martial context tends to be a distraction. Once the martial thinking is out of the way, it's a lot easier to assess which movements and exercises will engender the qualities which will most readily and intuitively appeal to the individual on a tactical level. I hope that makes sense.

My understanding is that you've helped people to work up personal combat methods from some pretty mundane movements, and you're no stranger to approaching things from a conceptual or even spiritual direction and making it functional in the really real world, so I'm curious what you look for or look at when you come across a new movement system and evaluate it for combative function.

To my biased eye, movement patterns that reciprocate from left-to-right, backward-forward, up-down, and patterns in which the body and limbs create centripetal force are at the top of my list of movements/exercises. When they're practiced in a non-contextual manner, they offer multiple levels of feedback while providing a proprioceptive education (the kind of 'info' I was referring to in my OP) that while sublime, manifest in freeform during pressure drills. That's why I'm big on corn-grinding, mirror-polishing, advance-retreat and prayer-wheel, etc.

If you watch the clip that's linked in John's post, at the 3 minute mark on, you can see all four of those movements happening right up until it goes back his solo work. They actually manifest throughout that clip but are most obvious from the three minute mark. I'd be very surprised if that style's basic solo drills didn't include those four in one form or another. Which reminds me to ask John about Butterfly Hands.

Anyway, when movements/exercises have a set of physical principles (eg thirteen torso methods) governing their practice, they have all the info upon which to build a basic fighting method. All that's needed is for pertinent contexts as per the indivdual to be introduced, and pressure-to-failure so that appropriate re-cognition sequences can be applied to chaining fail-responses with tactical movement whenever it's needed.

John, are Butterfly Hands comprised of the ideas/methods/tactics you listed? If so, are they trained as a set of solo exercises or are they strictly coming from an attribute-based training regimen like tree-hanging and bundle-twisting?
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Damn, Chris. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Gotta digest that before asking questions. Much appreciated.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:21 pm

bruce/shooter, i really appreciated your post to bhassler.

to my mind (i know communicating in words can be difficult, so i may not always understand) you seem continually to return to "core issues." whether "core" means in terms of body use, or tactics or motivation, or psychology.

but, finding the "central pillar" off of which, things operate.

jeez, now i'm havin' trouble with words...;)

thanks, as always...
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan