Yang family

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang family

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 pm

Doesn’t the story goes that FZW (while still in yongnian ) was put in charge teaching at least the two youngest sons of YCF ?
While still in youngnian FZW studied in the senior branch of Yang family TJQ which is Yang Banhou version, that’s the one YCF show in the form pictures of in his books. The form YCF taught in Shanghai is more of his father’s version.
Anyway its not so much how the outward appearance of the postures look as whats inside the postures
Last edited by Trick on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:32 am

Steve James wrote:YJ does the form the way his grandfather did, YCF's son.

He has tried to standardize one version of his fathers many.

Sure, it's possible for anyone to point to YJ's faults or that YCF style is crap. He still knows way more about it than anyone on rsf.

You are 100% correct, I totally agree. This is EXACTLY my problem with YJ. He knows A LOT. he comes from a martial arts family. He has spoken PLENTY about memories, as watching people and relatives practicing Tai Chi fast forms and "under the table" frame. He teaches NOTHING of this. Why do you want to serve a Big Mac when you have the recipes for Michelin star restaurant food??? Because if you want to make fast money the Big Mac is much safer, it is so f*ng plain so everyone can eat it.

The difference is that the MacDonalds restaurants are honest and call their food for what it is, fast food.

What YJ does is teach YCF's form "by the book." If you look at YCF's pictures and YJ's, they're supposed to be identical.

Literally by the book. All is about surface

That doesn't mean it's as good or better than any other of Its derivatives. I think it's a good idea to have a specific standard. It's not the case with all styles. For ex, CMC derived styles are often very different.

If you are obsessed by a specific standard, what standard should be the correct one? So what should THE Tai Chi standard be. Something like the standard of Tian Zhaolin linage where they have 10 different empty hand forms, as well as training methods preserved from Yang Cheng Fu's father and brothers? Or someone who has built a brand with a practice simple enough so anyone could practice it?

Trick wrote:Anyway its not so much how the outward appearance of the postures look as whats inside the postures

Exactly. It's all about the engine. Mimicking the surface is not the same as understanding internal principles or how to build that engine. At it best surface-only-Tai Chi becomes a simple Qigong exercise.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am

I know they don’t have the whole system

"They" being who? Who's teaching the whole "Yang" tcc system? Which "Yang" system? YLC, YCF, YSC, Zhao, Tung? Someone who knows the entire Tung system (probably) won't know Yang Shao Chung's system --because they just aren't the same. This isn't unusual; it's true of Chen and Wu.
Nobody knows the whole tcc system.

I thought the five tigers referred to a bunch(5) of diverse martial artist from the north that went south ?

There are lots of tiger references in cma :) But, afa tcc in the last 40 years or so, this is what the "four tigers" referred to,

The “Four Tigers of Chen Village” refer to four renowned tai chi grandmasters from Chen Village, China: Chen Xiaowang, Chen Zhenglei, Wang Xi’an, and Zhu Tiancai. These masters played a crucial role in promoting and preserving the traditional Chen-style tai chi, a martial art that originated in the village.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/culture/2 ... 437686.htm
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 am

Literally by the book. All is about surface

I'm not saying YJ's is the tcc that everyone should learn, but that's because I agree with Wayne that I don't things that others do. So, if someone wants more than what they see in YJ's stuff, they should find another teacher.

I do think it's important to preserve YCF's form as it appears in the book. Though, I'm not saying that YJ is the only person to know it, or that there aren't others who do and who are more martial. Fu Zhongwen's line still exists (in the UK or Australia)?

Sorry, it's just that I'd rather say something positive than something negative about a teacher/practitioner. There are always "some good things, some not so good things."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am

no criticism. and not specific to any yangs. "sheet music" isn't what makes a piece of art "alive". moreover the "external" movements/shapes aren't showing the "inside". if there is "one form standard", we can have high def video for "eternity" (until the purple aliens or AI have taken over)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 am

Bao wrote:Literally by the book. All is about surface

kinda depends on the book ;)
Good book outlining the basis for developing a
practice based on inner concepts

" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am

Here's a video of FZW's grandson doing a modified form. It's ten years old, though I'd guess he'd still be the lineage holder.

Hey, here he is more recently giving an explanation. Unfortunately, there are no subtitles, and I don't speak Chinese.
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am

Here's an example of YSC's style of push hands. The video explains who he is.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm

@ Steve , good clip :)

Depending on level of practice don't feel it's really necessary to understand what he's saying,
although it definitely does help lots of details in his explanation

He's talking about the relationship of the knee alignment among other things.

Fu Qingquan explains how to practice Tai Chi scientifically
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Steve James wrote:Here's an example of YSC's style of push hands. The video explains who he is.

I can't see YSC in the clip. Did you post the wrong video or what did you want to say with it?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 pm

'm not saying YJ's is the tcc that everyone should learn, but that's because I agree with Wayne that I don't things that others do. So, if someone wants more than what they see in YJ's stuff, they should find another teacher.

I wasn’t referring to you not having the whole system
I was referring to The Yang Family
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:22 pm

No worries, anybody.

Afa YSC, he's not in that clip. That's just what they call "Dynamic push hands." Jim Uglow is/was the senior western student of Yang Ma Lee. I might be out of date, but they call their association/style Yeung style (at least in the UK where they are/were based). In the US, Gin Soon Chu taught in Boston, and Vincent Chu (iirc) taught in NYC, Btwm FZW's association calls itself Yongnian tcc.

Here's a clip of YSC.

Here's Jim Uglow with a better explanation that I could give. I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

When I look at these clips, I pay attention to the slight differences. There is always a reason.
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Here's a Yongnian (FZW Yang) style spear form.

John W might like this kind of Yang style more.
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Are you sure they are FZW I have never seen anyone in his lineage do San Shou before
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 pm

Here's what's supposed to be one of the Yang Banhou forms. Every step is almost a kick :)

Here's a Yang Jianhou form. No need to compare :).
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan