Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Postby windwalker on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 am

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:Once had a Chen practitioner ask me

chen " how come there is no fajin in yang style taiji"

me " there is, would you like to feel it? "

If a MA system has power generation, that MA system should have a set of drills that can help students to reach to their goal. Do you know any Yang Taiji power generation drills?

Do you ?

can you do what some of the teachers in the demos do that you question ? ;D

Here are some Baji drills for power generation.

All good for "their " practice....
not good for my work or those that follow this type of work...
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:18 pm

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:Once had a Chen practitioner ask me

chen " how come there is no fajin in yang style taiji"

me " there is, would you like to feel it? "

If a MA system has power generation, that MA system should have a set of drills that can help students to reach to their goal. Do you know any Yang Taiji power generation drills?

Here are some Baji drills for power generation.

Is this meant to be good examples
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:34 pm

A: Is this meant to be good examples?
B: You can always show me better example.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:25 pm

windwalker wrote:
Bob wrote:Yet here is some of the da qiang training found in the Yang line which is similiar to the da qiang training in baji, xing yi, and Chen style taijiquan and it is indeed a pathway to fajin expression.

[/b]

For discussion purposes only :)

I think for the yang style, it's hard to say what is exactly representative of what they do, historically without understanding the history and following the sons teachings through the lines reflecting the transmission of their fathers art...

The are direct prohibitions against doing what has been suggested made by famous teachers.

汪永泉授楊式太極拳語錄及拳照
Wang Yongquan Writings on Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan

一般理解,所謂勁兒,是把本身的神、意、氣集中到一點上,再把這個點運用到某個姿勢上
去。經過長期的鍛煉以後,就會逐漸擴大增長起來,變成一種力。這種力是經過鍛煉取得的,
是後天之拙力。這種力形式大、動量滯、變換遲、動的去路直,在技擊方面用起來,因身形動
作大,運動量較強,因此影響內氣的波動,易於浮躁。這近於長拳的練法和要求。

In general understanding, "jin" refers to concentrating one's spirit, intention, and qi onto a single point, and then applying this point to a certain posture. After prolonged training, it gradually expands and grows into a kind of force. This force is acquired through training and is considered acquired postnatal strength. This type of force is large in form, sluggish in momentum, slow to change, and direct in its trajectory. When used in combat, due to the large body movements and strong momentum, it affects the fluctuation of internal qi and is prone to restlessness. This is similar to the training method and requirements of long fist techniques.

初練太極拳的人覺得太極拳的練法與上面的練法相似,其實不然。如果按照太極拳的理論要求
,經過一段時間的鍛煉,逐漸把理論與姿勢結合起來,就會很明顯地感覺出來,上面的練法和
要求是與太極拳不同的。練習太極拳的要求,是把本身的神、意、氣化合歸一,融合在一起,
形成一種輕靈圓活之勁兒。這種勁兒是以氣、意混之為主。它的本質是氣,對它的要求是空、
虛、散,而不是集聚的。這就是太極勁兒,又叫做先天勁兒。

Beginners practicing Tai Chi often feel that the training method of Tai Chi is similar to other martial arts, but in reality, it is not. If we follow the theoretical requirements of Tai Chi, after a period of training, gradually integrating theory with posture, it will become apparent that the training methods and requirements are different from those of other martial arts. The requirement for practicing Tai Chi is to integrate one's spirit, intention, and qi into one, blending them together to form a kind of agile and lively force. This force is primarily a mixture of qi and intention. Its essence is qi, and its requirement is emptiness, voidness, and dispersal, rather than concentration. This is the essence of Tai Chi force, also known as innate force.

As far as mixing things ;D

In my own path Tibetan White Crane - N Mantis - Taiji

None were integratabtle each dressing and different type of power generation that their strategies and applications used...

Would say the deeper level that one practices according to what ever method they follow the more pronounce the differences are if they really follow the theory....

Something witnessed in Taiwan, by some talking about the theory, but when put to use did not really follow it.. ;D
Which is not bad if they had the awareness to know it, many do not..

"This type of force is large in form, sluggish in momentum, slow to change, and direct in its trajectory. When used in combat, due to the large body movements and strong momentum, it affects the fluctuation of internal qi and is prone to restlessness."

Excellent! Light yi. This lightness of mind is very rare in my experience. However, if we return to topic, I see 'Why The Hate?" as a bit of a troll, but understandable. Chen has been successful politically and economically. Hard not to take exception when someone says, "All practice is fake, except mine." Students are disappointed when they ask "What do you consider real practice?" I say something like, "Everything has some merit to those who do it." When pressed about specifics, I will point out something like my previous remark about head trauma, shearing forces in the skull. That cost is too high for me. Obviously, others find it acceptable. As they progress, students with previous experience in CIMA come to me and say things like, "I don't feel the dantien as clearly anymore, what's wrong.?" I say, "Good progress, Keep training as proscribed." Later, the student's resentment of "Your shit is fake" assertions fall away, 'cause they need all their mental and emotional energy directed into practice. Also, they see that statements as such don't matter.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:25 pm

You didn’t answer
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

johnwang wrote:You don't need to generate power for health. You do need to generate power to knock your opponent down.

This discussion seems to have migrated to one of "power" generation.

I think it worth noting that Taijiquan has two sides to its practice. One side is "hard", the other "soft". Some practitioners focus on one, others focus on the other and some focus on developing skills at both.

As a general strategy, Taijiquan isn't, traditionally, about whacking a stable opponent with so much force that the opponent is incapacitated. Instead, it is about first unbalancing the opponent, preventing him from attacking you further, and then using as much or as little force as one wishes to deal with the off-balance opponent. For example, using little force allows the off-balanced opponent to fall to the ground: using a lot of force throws the off-balanced opponent to the ground, potentially inflicting greater harm to the opponent.

I've met quite a few Taijiquan practitioners over the last three decades of practice. Of those, in my opinion, the most skilled was a yang stylist who was a disciple of Dong (Tung) Yingjie. His skills were such that as soon as one made contact with him, one had no control over one's own body or balance. One could not hit him, kick him, pull him or push him: the best one could do was try to remain standing. If one tried to push or pull him, one felt the contact of one's skin on his, but nothing more. It was like pushing or pulling air: he simply wasn't there. I saw him repeatedly do the same thing to all-challengers from a variety of styles of martial art. He argued that if one could completely control an opponent, why would one bother hitting the opponent. He could completely control an opponent. He regarded fa jin/fa li as low-level brute-force skill. He was very clear that subsequent generations of Dong practitioners did not have the skills of Dong senior - that is, simply studying with a Dong family member isn't going to get one to the skills of Dong senior.

The closest I have found to those skills is within the Hong branch of Chen Taijiquan. My experience with Hong's Practical Method is that it tends to be more a combination of both sets of skills, hard and soft.

I agree with others in this discussion that chasing styles - Yang or Chen or others - is irrelevant. My focus has been to chase skills: finding people who exhibit skills I want to develop and studying with them. I'm not particularly concerned with their style or lineage, per se. Studying with a lineage holder is, in my experience, necessary but not sufficient. It depends on the skills/abilities of the individual teacher more than who he studied with.

Hong, for example, did not practice weapons, spear or long pole. As I understand it, those practices weren't related to, or required for the skills he developed. For other practitioners some of those things are important training methods. Depends, in part, on what kinds of skills and abilities you want to develop. If the use of "power" is important to your method/strategy, then "power"/"strength" training is important - long pole shaking, for example. If it isn't, they aren't.
Last edited by charles on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm

wayne hansen wrote:You didn’t answer

I show those videos to prove such '"power generation" drills do exist. Guys in those videos can do "power generation" better than I can.

Can you show me better videos?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:50 pm

charles wrote:As a general strategy, Taijiquan isn't, traditionally, about whacking a stable opponent with so much force ...

Are you saying that Yang Taiji guys don't use punch to hit on their opponent's body?

How about Yang Taiji "vital punch", or "turn around hammer"?

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 pm

No John I don’t think I have seen any good demo of Fa Jin on line
The good Fa Jin I have expierenced has been felt not seen
Isn’t Adam doing Ba Ji in the photos you have shown
Look at the Karate guy I posted under more good Stuff
He exibits much better Fa Jin than I have seen elsewhere
It is interesting he developed it through Aikido

https://youtu.be/uqbwOTEAXfg?si=fM6sLLA5cLCDo0eX
Last edited by wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 pm

johnwang wrote:
charles wrote:As a general strategy, Taijiquan isn't, traditionally, about whacking a stable opponent with so much force ...

Are you saying that Yang Taiji guys don't use punch to hit on their opponent's body?

No, I'm not saying that.

What I AM saying is that the primary strategy is not to have an opponent stand in a strong, stable stance with his hands on his hips and then have you try to incapacitate him by punching or kicking him in, say, the abdomen, as hard as you can. I suggest that the use of brute force is not the primary strategy of Taijiquan. Whacking a stable opponent with as much force as you can create is application of brute force - regardless of whether the force is created by "internal" means or "external" means. Are there applications in Taiji forms that apply brute force? Sure, depending upon the style and teacher.

What I AM saying is that there is huge variation in what is included under the umbrella term "Taijiquan". Some practitioners focus on developing "power", as much as they can muster, and others don't: others use different primary strategies. Suggesting that all styles and all practitioners of Taijiquan practice the same things for the same purposes to attain the same skills/abilities is, in my experience, incorrect. Creating some uniform straw man practice and calling it Taijiquan is to miss the differences in training and skills from one practitioner to another. It is to insist that the entire elephant looks, feels and behaves the same way as the small piece of the elephant that you've experienced.
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm

Spot on
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:59 pm

charles wrote:I suggest that the use of brute force is not the primary strategy of Taijiquan.

But you have to learn how to walk before you can learn how to run. You have to learn how to land your fist on your opponent's head before you try to learn how to make your opponent to fly in the air.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:15 pm

Thé mechanics of making someone fly in the air are the same mechanics of a good punch
Push is not there only to teach how to push its there to teach how to punch
The pushing part of Huangs 7 point push I teach on the bay as a punching drill
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm

The crucial thing to understand about FaLi, is that you cannot seek power. At the proverbial fork in the road, the path to learning how to FaLi loops back, and takes you way back to a point before you started. You actually have to strike with no power, for a long time, a good 3-4 years before you can start adding power, and then only a little at a time. To FaLi you are moving your spine before you punch. It’s not a wave motion, your whole spine moves at the same time. From one position to another. It’s kind of like transitioning from the Cat pose to the Cow pose in yoga. You can’t have any tension in your body. Eventually you will start to feel how your flesh is being moved by the fast, abrupt transitional movement. Then your martial movements, still without using power or strength, will try to follow along with the flesh. It’s a long process. Your fellow students, who opted not to learn, will be throwing people all over the place and doing all sorts of forms and sparring, meanwhile you are just diligently listening and trying to understand (ting jin and Dong jin) the movements of your own body. But in the end, you truly have every part of your body, flesh and bone, moving in perfect harmony. And only then can you start adding strength into it, or no strength, adding strength changes the type of power. Not using strength has Zhen Jin (shocking power). Hitting someone with Zhen Jin will not move them, it instead stops on the surface, right at the point of contact. Zhen Jin cannot Fajin, it can only be added into a Fajin to cause damage at the point of contact.
It might look like there’s a lot of effort being used. But the movement is actually effortless. It takes more effort to stop a FaLi, then it does to do it.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

johnwang wrote:Are you saying that Yang Taiji guys don't use punch to hit on their opponent's body?

No, Charles absolutely didn't say or imply that.

You are the one who said that John.
On page 1 of this thread and many other threads
for years!

johnwang wrote:- Chen Taiji punches. Yang Taiji pushes.

Now you say this

How about Yang Taiji "vital punch", or "turn around hammer"?

When you move the goal Post all over the place
and, then contradict what you say
from post to post

It makes it seem like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.
i.e. Just for the sake of being right
When you are clearly incorrect.
Trip
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan